Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nofate301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
So, I have been having this issue for a while now. By a while, I'm talking about 3 months, several trips to the apple store, phone replaced 2 times, and a new iPhone 4S.

So here's my tale of woe.

I got an iPhone4 back last christmas. Had no problems, jailbroke it, again, no problems. I had to scrap the jailbreak coming up to IOS5. Got IOS5, got around the activation and developer...but eventually that failed too. Got into IOS5 after it's official release and all was good.

Then in November rolls around and I start having issues. At first nothing too bad, I use an sleep application to wake me up in bed. The sleep analysis app stopped waking me up, I would find the phone at the lock screen. I started thinking the app wasn't working right or maybe I clicked it closed some nights.

Then the crashes started. At first it didn't seem like anything, but after about 6PM, Springboard or sometimes whatever I was doing would crash. The screen would go blank show the swirly white loader in the center and then I would be back at the lock screen.

The killer of it all was, it didn't seem to be every day, but It was like I just couldn't escape it.

Then the crashes started to occur during the day at work. I got frustrated, and gave in. I went to the apple store. Handed them my phone and they said to start from scratch and do a restore, but don't restore from backup. (at that point, I didn't want to because of all the stuff I had backed up/saved/games in progress), but through all of this, I've lost most of those, and can probably give their suggestion a better shot.

I tried what they said, but the crashes occurred again, I restored and still had the issues, and went back. At which point they said the crashes had left no information because of my recent restore. They gave me a new iPhone4 as a replacement, like for like. While I was walking out of the store, I think it crashed again, but I had grown tired and pissed and I had to get back to work.

Then December rolls around, and I start having issues with the new phone, but not just crashes. The audio from the speaker would drop out into static. Brought it in, and they replaced it. Done.

I went up stairs the same day and bought an iPhone4S(had the money and the upgrade). Walked out of there, threw the iCloud details in the phone and boom restored my life.

The crashes followed me. New phone, new sim chip, same me. I am fully convinced my name is cursed in this device/architecture. I plan on wiping the phone and starting from scratch and not restoring any data, which sucks, but at this point, I have no recourse.

My last ditch effort is to reach out to the community.

Thanks, and if there's any tl;dr.

Phone crashes randomly, pretty sure it's not the hardware after 2 phone trade-ins and an upgrade.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
If you're restoring from a backup, it's likely something corrupted in it. You should try setting it up as new.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
If you're restoring from a backup, it's likely something corrupted in it. You should try setting it up as new.

The OP tried that (as stated).

If you're convinced it's not hardware related, restore the iPhone as new and don't load any 3rd-party apps on there. Try this for a day or so and see if crashes occur. If no crashes occur, then it maybe a 3rd party app that's corrupted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.