Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I have a cable modem and Netgear wireless router on the second level of my home.

All of our wireless devices, which includes an iMac, Kindle Fire, PC laptop connect to our wireless network, except for our 2 iPads. When we are on the same level with the modem and router, most of the time we don't have a connection, and when we do it's spotty and slow. As a matter of fact, I reset the iPads network and when I tried to join our wireless network it didn't even show up in the list. The strange thing is when we are on the lower level, the level without the modem and router, then we can connect.

Every other device has no problem on the same level as the modem/router.

The iPads airplane mode is turned off and I have absolutely no idea why this problem is occuring.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

Sounds really strange. My initial thought is one of interference; As a troubleshooting step, I would attempt to reposition the router somewhere on the second floor. You may find that moving it a short distance, or to the other side of the room, will resolve the issue.

Cheers,

RTP.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
For the first time today, my iPad would not connect to my office WiFi. Did a hard reset, but that didn't work. Went down into the basement, reset the modem and the router and when I got back into my office, my iPad had connected.

Maybe give the modem/router reset route a try.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
For the first time today, my iPad would not connect to my office WiFi. Did a hard reset, but that didn't work. Went down into the basement, reset the modem and the router and when I got back into my office, my iPad had connected.

Maybe give the modem/router reset route a try.

Odd... In the last week, over holidays been having the same issue both at home on my linksys Broadcom routers and at my parents on their netgear atheros routers. Fight with iPad, but ultimately requires resetting the routers.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I have been having to reset both my cable modem and my Apple Airport Extreme frequently the last few week. Works every time.

Skracha

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Problem with iPad wifi

I have had an iPad2 for quite a few months and never had a problem. Since the 5.0 upgrade I have had problems with wifi dropping. I have a Netgear WNR 10002vr wireless router with WPA2-psk security. I have reset connections on the iPad and updated the router fw but it keeps dropping wifi.

Any ideas?

flexworks

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Wifi Connection Problem

I bought the iPad 2, Wifi 16GB, iOS 5.01 on Dec 16. It was working fine until Dec 31. Intermittent wifi connection, could only get connected under 5 minutes. FRUSTRATING!!

The iPad use to work fine on public wifi, at home, at the office and also using Mifi. Tried restoring the iPad several times and home router to no avail. I use the iPad for work, so its extremely frustrating. Some suggest to change the router setting, switching it to 802.11n (not AUTO), but I don't think it's a router issue, it's the iPad. Can't expect to change other people's wifi network settings.

Anyone have solutions.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.