PDA

View Full Version : Android features that the iPhone should have

matttye
Dec 27, 2011, 03:34 PM
- widgets. If not full blown widgets then at least toggle widgets for settings such as wifi, 3G/2g, Bluetooth etc. these could also be shown in the notification bar for quick access. I would prefer full widgets.

- the ability to access numbers and symbols more easily by long pressing on keys.

- some kind of gesture to access a menu with advanced options in some apps. The browser for example. There's no "find on page" options or anything like that, which can make browsing awkward. I'm not suggesting that iOS should become more menu based, just that menus are sometimes useful for less used options.

- third party apps should be able to integrate with the os. For example, the Facebook app should be able to add an option to the gallery to upload to Facebook. Other providers like Flickr should be able to do this too.

- Being able to attach files to emails from the email app itself.

- being able to mount the iPhone as a hard drive and add your music/images/etc that way. There's no reason this can't work alongside the current implementation.

I prefer the way iOS is managed; in that you're more likely to get a software update as its not fragmented, no malware in the app store etc, but there are a lot of features that iOS could borrow from other OSes to bring it more up to date!

Any other features people think it should adopt?

Discuss :)

sviato
Dec 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
Apple doesn't want to over-complicate by adding widgets and too many options, the average consumer likely doesn't care for them. Just jailbreak.

matttye
Dec 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
Apple doesn't want to over-complicate by adding widgets and too many options, the average consumer likely doesn't care for them. Just jailbreak.

A settings toggle widget doesn't over complicate, nor does having a gesture to access an advanced menu!

verwon
Dec 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
People want widgets, but they're already complaining about battery life....

matttye
Dec 27, 2011, 03:42 PM
People want widgets, but they're already complaining about battery life....

Not all widgets consume battery life. You're thinking of widgets like a Facebook widget which shows posts from your feed, but something like a widget that lets you change a setting or add a calendar event doesnt consume much battery.

scott craft
Dec 27, 2011, 03:42 PM
- third party apps should be able to integrate with the os. For example, the Facebook app should be able to add an option to the gallery to upload to Facebook. Other providers like Flickr should be able to do this too.

These two would be really nice.

verwon
Dec 27, 2011, 03:43 PM
Not all widgets consume battery life. You're thinking of widgets like a Facebook widget which shows posts from your feed, but something like a widget that lets you change a setting or add a calendar event doesnt consume much battery.

So....a static icon to access settings?

matttye
Dec 27, 2011, 03:46 PM
So....a static icon to access settings?

No, a button that toggles options on/off. Like this one:

http://socialtimes.com/mobilecontenttoday/files/original/android-power-control-widget.jpg

vitzr
Dec 27, 2011, 03:49 PM
I'm too busy enjoying these features and more on my Galaxy S II.

My iPhone 4S is just like Apple wanted it to be.

Let's remember it's Apple...

They build _what _they want, _when_ they want.

It's the Apple way & it works for them.

alex2792
Dec 27, 2011, 04:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

- widgets. If not full blown widgets then at least toggle widgets for settings such as wifi, 3G/2g, Bluetooth etc. these could also be shown in the notification bar for quick access. I would prefer full widgets.

- the ability to access numbers and symbols more easily by long pressing on keys.

- some kind of gesture to access a menu with advanced options in some apps. The browser for example. There's no "find on page" options or anything like that, which can make browsing awkward. I'm not suggesting that iOS should become more menu based, just that menus are sometimes useful for less used options.

- being able to mount the iPhone as a hard drive and add your music/images/etc that way. There's no reason this can't work alongside the current implementation.

I prefer the way iOS is managed; in that you're more likely to get a software update as its not fragmented, no malware in the app store etc, but there are a lot of features that iOS could borrow from other OSes to bring it more up to date!

Attaching files via email app isn't happening unless Apple reworks the file system. This is the biggest annoyance I have with the iPhone is the fact that I have to constantly duplicate files if I want to open them with another app. IOS 6 needs to implement a centralized documents folder that can be accessed by other apps. This would be a good middle ground between Android's desktop-esque file system,which is an overkill for a cell phone and Apple's inefficient sandbox model.

SurferMan
Dec 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
Why Apple didn't put in toggles for various settings is beyond me, there isn't one reason except they were either lazy or didn't think people would care, there's no battery drain or anything like that. I travel a lot and even just in general for use, it's annoying not having toggles like SBS. For one thing SBS integrates so well with in the notification center. Plus WidgetTask lets you handle your apps from the notification center vs double pressing the home button, like that better.

I do love how much easier and convenient it is to mount my SGII as a drive and transfer files or do whatever I want, vs having to deal with iTunes and it's restrictions.

For those that have no idea what were talking about, or SBS lol, the top toggles scroll left and right but had to take two snapshots.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/87573080.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/07f2eee3.jpg

3bs
Dec 27, 2011, 04:56 PM
Why Apple didn't put in toggles for various settings is beyond me, there isn't one reason except they were either lazy or didn't think people would care, there's no battery drain or anything like that. I travel a lot and even just in general for use, it's annoying not having toggles like SBS. For one thing SBS integrates so well with in the notification center. Plus WidgetTask lets you handle your apps from the notification center vs double pressing the home button, like that better.

I do love how much easier and convenient it is to mount my SGII as a drive and transfer files or do whatever I want, vs having to deal with iTunes and it's restrictions.

For those that have no idea what were talking about, or SBS lol, the top toggles scroll left and right but had to take two snapshots.

Image (http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/87573080.jpg)
Image (http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/07f2eee3.jpg)

What version OS are you running and I assume it's an iPhone 4 since the 4S can't be jailbroken? I know almost nothing about jailbreaking but I am considering getting in the game but since I have no experience I am reluctant and don't want to mess up my phone. I can't right now anyway, not until they release a jailbreak for the 4S

SurferMan
Dec 27, 2011, 04:57 PM
What version OS are you running and I assume it's an iPhone 4 since the 4S can't be jailbroken? I know almost nothing about jailbreaking but I am considering getting in the game but since I have no experience I am reluctant and don't want to mess up my phone. I can't right now anyway, not until they release a jailbreak for the 4SThat's iOS5 on my 3GS, I have an iPhone 4 but never jailbroke it as gf mainly used it.

Zcott
Dec 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
OP: There is a find in page. Just open the search box, type what you what to find in page and it's at the bottom of the search results.

onthecouchagain
Dec 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
I wonder if under Cook's leadership, will Apple start to lax a bit about the things they've been so against. I'm not expecting a full blown overhaul, but it'd certainly be nice if they implemented some of these things.

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 08:04 AM
I wonder if under Cook's leadership, will Apple start to lax a bit about the things they've been so against. I'm not expecting a full blown overhaul, but it'd certainly be nice if they implemented some of these things.I'd hope so, but I'm still seriously doubting they'll implement the toggles like I posted above in the next iOS. That's something that could have easily been done, and SBS developer had it integrated almost immediately no problem. Another quirk that's annoying is their restricted stance on folders, why limit the # apps per folder or folders within a folder, makes no sense? I use FolderEnhancer to get rid of those restrictions. Much nicer having a "games" folder with folders in it for organizing different apps like puzzles, action, strategy etc, or vise versa for business apps.

I have a ton of stuff done to this phone to get it to where I wanted it, I know there's a lot they would never allow, but there are certain things that just make no sense why they don't/or restrict in use.

Thai4s
Dec 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't care for the email attachments pictures thing. All it does is get you to the photos, so I just double tap and go there. Same thing.

The widgets now are useless. I can just ask Siri about the stock market. I don't know why Apple refuses to put toggles for the communications. I guess they think it should be on all the time. Why would people want to toggle them.

Ridiculous. I have a shortcut for Bluetooth on my screen. I tap it and it goes to the bluetooth settings. That's as good as you can have it. Basically just a browser shortcut.

M Quick
Dec 28, 2011, 08:18 AM

Agreed.

That would also be nice!

Also a feature i miss! I usually see myself going into the photos and then i click on the share button and then i get remembered that there is no quick feature to share a photo to either..

That should definitely be an added feature.

That would be really nice, but i see why apple isn't letting you do this as piracy is what they want to overcome and if they keep it like that people tend to buy more stuff instead of downloading it on the computer and then dragging it onto the unit.. Even if you can do the same in iTunes already.. But that's at least what i think is the reason of this.

Definitely something i would want though. Would make things so much easier.

Absolutely!

Many of the things you're asking though can easily be achieved by jail breaking.. But it'd be nicer if you didn't need to do that in order for that.

Thai4s
Dec 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Here is my BT toggle

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/turn123/b48dc404.jpg

NOT really. BT shortcut.

B777Forevar
Dec 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
Facebook/google+ integration.
A "theme" app store so I wouldn't have to jailbreak and download Winterboard

FSMBP
Dec 28, 2011, 08:24 AM

- the ability to access numbers and symbols more easily by long pressing on keys. I agree, if iPhone LTE has a 4" screen - they should add an extra row on the keyboard for numbers/symbols

- some kind of gesture to access a menu with advanced options in some apps. The browser for example. There's no "find on page" options or anything like that, which can make browsing awkward. I'm not suggesting that iOS should become more menu based, just that menus are sometimes useful for less used options. As mentioned, they already have Find On This Page (since iOS 4.2)

- third party apps should be able to integrate with the os. For example, the Facebook app should be able to add an option to the gallery to upload to Facebook. Other providers like Flickr should be able to do this too. This is already there with Twitter - my guess is that Facebook & Apple couldn't reach an agreement.

- Being able to attach files to emails from the email app itself. I agree! At the very least, they should allow to attached Photos/Videos/Cards while already composing an email. I hate writing an email & realizing I forgot to attach a photo then have to start from scratch

- being able to mount the iPhone as a hard drive and add your music/images/etc that way. There's no reason this can't work alongside the current implementation. Won't happen. Clearly Apple is set on way of putting media on an iPhone. If people drag songs/videos onto their iPhone as a harddrive, it won't be added to the Music/Videos app on the iPhone - therefore confusing people. For whatever reason, those items must be purchased via iTunes or synced via iTunes

Thoughts above in bold.

PhoneI
Dec 28, 2011, 09:15 AM
People want widgets

Not me

buddybd
Dec 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
woah I was expecting more responses like 'Its not how Apple does things', 'iOS is not Android', 'Apple doesn't see use for it' lol.

Glad people want these things, its about time these especially the toggles were implemented.

Eager Beaver
Dec 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
I want widgets for sure, (and a bigger screen to see them on)

matttye
Dec 28, 2011, 09:40 AM
OP: There is a find in page. Just open the search box, type what you what to find in page and it's at the bottom of the search results.

Thanks, I didn't see that.

I don't care for the email attachments pictures thing. All it does is get you to the photos, so I just double tap and go there. Same thing.

The widgets now are useless. I can just ask Siri about the stock market. I don't know why Apple refuses to put toggles for the communications. I guess they think it should be on all the time. Why would people want to toggle them.

Ridiculous. I have a shortcut for Bluetooth on my screen. I tap it and it goes to the bluetooth settings. That's as good as you can have it. Basically just a browser shortcut.

Having to go to the gallery is counter-intuitive though. The logical place to go to compose an email is to the email client. Having to remember to go to the gallery is not very user friendly.

Siri is not always suitable. What if you're on a crowded train, or underground or on a plane where you have no Internet connection? It is also not as user friendly to have to ask for something as it is to just have it right there on the home screen.

macsimo
Dec 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
How many iPhone 4S's have been sold and will be sold?

matttye
Dec 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
How many iPhone 4S's have been sold and will be sold?

What is the relevance of that?

FSMBP
Dec 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I didn't see that.

Having to go to the gallery is counter-intuitive though. The logical place to go to compose an email is to the email client. Having to remember to go to the gallery is not very user friendly.

Siri is not always suitable. What if you're on a crowded train, or underground or on a plane where you have no Internet connection? It is also not as user friendly to have to ask for something as it is to just have it right there on the home screen.

You response to Thai4s doesn't seem logical. He said you could ask Siri for Stock info & you responded with "what if you...have no internet connection (as in Siri wouldn't work)?" Well, if you have no internet, how exactly would you get stock info?

Drunken Master
Dec 28, 2011, 10:14 AM
What is the relevance of that?

Maybe people aren't dying to have widgets?

I know I'm not. They're nice in the OS X dashboard but real estate is pretty limited on an iPhone display, the last thing I want is half the screen to be taken up by today's date and the weather widget. You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows, just stick your head out of the window.

This, is a mess:

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/spotifyhome.png

So are the toggles in the notification center posted on page one; they look disgusting.

matttye
Dec 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
You response to Thai4s doesn't seem logical. He said you could ask Siri for Stock info & you responded with "what if you...have no internet connection (as in Siri wouldn't work)?" Well, if you have no internet, how exactly would you get stock info?

Good point. I didn't really think about it. In any event, not every widget needs an Internet connection to work so Siri is not a suitable replacement. If you just wanted to view your agenda for the day, for example, a widget is ideal for that.

Maybe people aren't dying to have widgets?

I know I'm not. They're nice in the OS X dashboard but real estate is pretty limited on an iPhone display, the last thing I want is half the screen to be taken up by today's date and the weather widget. You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows, just stick your head out of the window.

This, is a mess:

Image (http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/spotifyhome.png)

So are the toggles in the notification center posted on page one; they look disgusting.

Luckily nobody would hold a gun to your head and force you to use the disgusting widgets if you didn't want to.

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 10:39 AM
So are the toggles in the notification center posted on page one; they look disgusting.Your definitely in the minority there, point out exactly how they look disgusting? lol, for one thing you can theme it various ways... and functionality wise it blows away having to go through multiple menus/settings to do what I could in one swipe and click whatever I want... never mind power, re-spring, or refresh etc directly from the notification center.

Please show a picture of your home screen and lockscreen and I'll post mine, wonder if I'll find it "disgusting "http://undergroundfreakz.com/s/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

BoxerGT2.5
Dec 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
Independent sliders for ringer volume, notification alerts, system tones, ect.

sneaky butcher
Dec 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
Native integrated sat nav app like google navigation.

probably need their own map app to do this though.

Drunken Master
Dec 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
Please show a picture of your home screen and lockscreen and I'll post mine, wonder if I'll find it "disgusting "Image (http://undergroundfreakz.com/s/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif)

Probably not. I've seen most people's ideas of what constitutes good design and it's really friggin' lacking.

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Probably not. I've seen most people's ideas of what constitutes good design and it's really friggin' lacking.well please post up and school us all..... thank god not everyone thinks alike or the world would be boring as hell lol.

Dmunjal
Dec 28, 2011, 11:28 AM

The cool thing about widgets is that they update at an interval you decide. If you enter a plane or someplace you no longer have Internet, the widget will display the last updated stock price. Very useful.

Drunken Master
Dec 28, 2011, 11:36 AM
well please post up and school us all..... thank god not everyone thinks alike or the world would be boring as hell lol.

You really got ******** huh?

Fine:

http://cl.ly/3X3A1h1V343S2s3T1M2T

http://cl.ly/0a0e2a3k2i1t1r3L3U0c

P.S. Thank god the average poster here doesn't design anything for a living or the world would be ugly as hell.

FSMBP
Dec 28, 2011, 11:57 AM
The cool thing about widgets is that they update at an interval you decide. If you enter a plane or someplace you no longer have Internet, the widget will display the last updated stock price. Very useful.

That's true if the Widgets are designed that way. But then again, what good would outdated stock quotes & weather info do? I'm not disputing the usefulness of Widgets but having old info isn't helpful.

sneaky butcher
Dec 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
why would people compare siri to a widget?

you dont need to talk to your phone to look at a widget. News feeds & forum feeds straight to your homescreens. Widget that displays how much data you have used. News feed apps can cache whole stories so widget displays the headline and even if your offline you can still read the full article.

its dumb to say siri is a substitute for widgets.

sneaky butcher
Dec 28, 2011, 12:19 PM

Fine:

P.S. Thank god the average poster here doesn't design anything for a living or the world would be ugly as hell.

i dont get it , its rows of square icons like all other iphones :confused: or do you mean a nice wallpaper?

irDigital0l
Dec 28, 2011, 12:32 PM
For iOS 6 they should at least make it live icons.

Like the clock actually moves and the weather isn't always sunny and 73 degress.

walie
Dec 28, 2011, 12:37 PM

Fine:

looks pretty ho hum generic to me.

dickdaney
Dec 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
I'm a simple gut. I just want an android-like connect the dots lock screen, or some similar pattern unlock instead of the 4 digit passcode.

matttye
Dec 28, 2011, 01:05 PM

Fine:

Again, you wouldn't have to use the ugly widgets if you didn't want to, so your phone could look exactly as it does now.

Can we get back on topic now?

Drunken Master
Dec 28, 2011, 01:26 PM
i dont get it , its rows of square icons like all other iphones :confused: or do you mean a nice wallpaper?

I don't know, that Surfer guy insisted I post pictures of my lock screen and home page, in order to prove some point.

Doesn't prove or disprove his theory that people are clamoring for his hideous Notification Center toggles (which I sincerely doubt).

looks pretty ho hum generic to me.

It's a sculpture of Jackie Chan in Drunken Master II that's made out of paper (not quite Papier-mch).

outl4nd3r
Dec 28, 2011, 01:28 PM
I agree that iOS needs the notification toggles (or whatever you want to call them). But widgets? I have an iPhone 4 and a Samsung galaxy s vibrant, never liked the widgets on android. I like the idea of live tiles like windows phone 7. A better email client would be nice too.

matttye
Dec 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
This is how I use widgets on android...

Lock screen:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/SC20111025-204424.png

Main home screen:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/2011-10-25205458.jpg

Some may say that looks cluttered, but it has everything I need most often right on the screen. I put the spotify widget on the lock screen so I can change tracks without unlocking the phone. The SMS/calls/gmail bits light up when I have a new message/call/email and I can tap to go straight to the app.

The little square icons that I've blurred out automatically call/text my favourite contacts when tapped. The large calendar widget has another view which lets you see your agenda for the day (one of those buttons switches between the views).

A lot of the time I don't actually need to leave my home screen to do things!

ViperDesign
Dec 28, 2011, 03:39 PM
The keyboard has to be updated. It is four years overdue.

Thai4s
Dec 28, 2011, 03:49 PM

I think apple will include more widgets to the notifications bar.

Apple Themes? Will never happen. It look the way it looks. It's Apple.

Carl Sagan
Dec 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
Gesture access to change wifi or Bluetooth would be nice but widgets are a UX dead end. They add little value and kill battery life...

Eager Beaver
Dec 28, 2011, 04:27 PM

^^^ I'd like that - :)

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
I don't know, that Surfer guy insisted I post pictures of my lock screen and home page, in order to prove some point.

Doesn't prove or disprove his theory that people are clamoring for his hideous Notification Center toggles (which I sincerely doubt).
You totally missed the pun :rolleyes: , went over your head.. but I digress. You still didn't explain what's so hideous, which is plain laughable. There are different themes for the center that are well matched to the theme I'd have on the phone. If you want to go through various menu's and settings to do what can be done in one swipe, well that's your thing, rest of us that don't drink the koolaid want easy access to various settings. Look how my notification center is setup 1) I can access all primary settings in a swipe easily and scroll them in the center, 2) I can re-spring, power off etc right from it, no holding a button for 10 seconds or anything 3) access task'd apps vs double pressing home button and scroll left and right in the center for them.

Theory??? lol... yeh all the numerous threads across various forums and boards online about wanting toggles is imaginary. I'd bet you cold hard cash in escrow that if you were to poll each forum about whether they'd want toggles like I showed integrated into the center.... the people who would want it would far outweigh the ones who don't. It's easy, simple access, and Apples all about "simpleness" right.....

here's another disgustingly terrible theme for the settings icons:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/402413e9.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/54091523.jpg

you talk about design and lack of and post up a basic generic lockscreen and homepage? lol.... It's like every other iphone out there, which nothing wrong with that and I'm not going to call disgusting.

but here's some I have:
this lock screen is animated to the weather, time of day etc... and no battery drain really over stock iOS so there goes that theory about drain:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/ba715507.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/f0170242.jpg

some diff hs themes, only problem I had was you can't turn off the status bar clock with SBS on iOS5:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/31de7fe7.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/3c69db40.jpg

it's ok to be different ;) , even though I know you won't like any of those lol, no hard feelings.

Blakjack
Dec 28, 2011, 05:06 PM
No, a button that toggles options on/off. Like this one:

Image (http://socialtimes.com/mobilecontenttoday/files/original/android-power-control-widget.jpg)

And a great place to keep these buttons would be the search page. I'm one who still believes Apple has something planned for the search page

YMark
Dec 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm too busy enjoying these features and more on my Galaxy S II.

Only for a few hours. Then you'll need a recharge.

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
Only for a few hours. Then you'll need a recharge.Funny how my GSII (AT&T version) last about as long as my iPhone 4 in use (except standby where the 4 beats all), maybe an hour here and there, but it's still better then the 3GS or 4S so far in battery life ... a lot of people don't know how to setup these phones nor calibrate the battery, just like my Macbook Pro so the % is read correctly and doesn't die sooner.
Independent sliders for ringer volume, notification alerts, system tones, ect.yeh that would be useful

mmmtastybusch
Dec 28, 2011, 05:22 PM
here's another disgustingly terrible theme for the settings icons:

I think those themes look awesome!

Toggle widgets in the notification bar would be great. Widgets are one of the only things I miss about Android, and they really don't drain the battery as much as some people say they do. Unless you're using them like a tard and have them update every 5 minutes haha

LIVEFRMNYC
Dec 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
It's almost a sure bet the next iPhone will have a bigger screen. Do you think Apple will wait until then to implement things like stand alone Widgets, and maybe even include toggles?

vitzr
Dec 28, 2011, 05:29 PM
Only for a few hours. Then you'll need a recharge.

Nice try, but guessing or listening to the uniformed has led you wrong.

My SGS II returns battery life as good or better than my iPhone 4, and significantly better than my iPhone 4S.

This is one excellent Smartphone :)

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
It's almost a sure bet the next iPhone will have a bigger screen. Do you think Apple will wait until then to implement things like stand alone Widgets, and maybe even include toggles?The widgets I don't really see happening for the home/app/lock screens, development for them in Cydia yeh... but Apple, pry not, I trade and don't even have the stock widget running in the center nor anything similar like that on my GSII. However the toggles I would hope Apple would do, but this is Apple were talking about, watch them do it but only put like 2 toggles on, then another 2 for the next update/os, and another 2 for the next one lol.

There's rumors of them working on widgets for Facebook and Twitter to auto-feed them, you never know, but again I wouldn't be surprised if they never bring those out for the notification center.

Photogdave
Dec 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
I don't see the big fuss. I don't want my 4s to look like a Android or work like one.

There may be a reason they haven't added all these droid-ish features.
I had a Samsung Galaxy s and I used 1 widget. It was a calendar widget. Its really one of the only widgets that was really beneficial. I get my daily schedule in a PDF. I copy those to my gmail calendar and the widget allowed me to just see daily where I was right on the screen all the time. Without it, I had to open the calendar, and without that, I had to open each PDF.....which because Android wont allow us to put my schedule folder on home screen, I had to nav through Files>Data>Schedules 2011>Find PDF, then open.
So that particular widget was useful. I had it on the first screen, then home screen(2), then screen 3 was more apps I used.
So a simple swipe left and my week was there.

Now, these clock and weather widgets are BS. Its just toys for people to feel good about. What the hell do you need a clock widget for when iPhone.....hell most phones for that matter have the date/time on the unlock screen and the home screen anyway.
I hit the home button....BOOM, date/time right there easy to see. Unlock it, boom there again the time. So why oh why is it such a big deal for people to have these cluttered, battery draining widgets for clock. Its something that makes people feel their device is doing more for them.
"Oooooh look how cool" , but its not.....its superficial.

And weather.....REALLY. Look outside. Ive made it 32 years without knowing weather each and every second of my life. I get up, stick an arm outside, if its cold I dress warm, if its hot I dress cool, if its raining I grab an umbrella. Its not that big a deal. Id trade a damn weather widget for more cell strength.
Not that mine is bad, its good, but if we're asking for more, how about more battery or cell strength....something useful
And BTW, iPhone has weather data pushed right to notification bar as default.......so there you have it.
I turned it off. We get enough weather on nightly news every night, I don't need it constantly on my screen, draining my battery.
There's also 100's of weather apps. Knock yourself out.

Listen, I'm not so sure that the reason so many Androids have all the Vista like problems isn't because they allow too much.

I don't feel short changed at all coming from Android. My phone for once does exactly what its supposed to all the time. Its fast, snappy/smooth and it just works.....ALL the time.

My Galaxy DID NOT. Its jittery, buggy, hangs up, apps conflict with the phone....IT SUCKS.
Maybe Jobs was so insistent about keeping the iOS the way it was because that's how to keep things stable. Sure they could add all these things.....are you kidding. Look at what they do.
But buy allowing certain things, it opens the door for others and then there's whole lots more issues to chase down.
The way Apple works, it works because they lock it up and keep the issues to a minimum.

I like the app security. Knowing that the apps are good and will work with my phone the right way.
Yes, you can pretty much customize an Android to pretty much no end.
But then its not the phone you bought. So why was it so great to begin with.
I don't want too much changed with iOS. Especially in the direction of copying Android. Thats why I left them.

Id like a couple changes, not additions. Id like to have quicker access to WiFi on/off or Bluetooth on/off. Either via adding shortcut to screen or buttons at top. But, its not that big a deal.

As for email attachment, OK, maybe there might be a use for it.

But stop and think for a minute.
If I decide after shooting a pic, "Oh, Id like to send this to my mother", then just tap it and share via email, then add to who. You have to do it anyway.

Then there's those Ive seen say what about multiple.
OK, in the camera roll, tap share icon, select all you want....then hit email.

The only difference is, if you start an email then decide later you want to add an attachment. But really, you'd still have to nav each image, the wait for it to attach.

I say, if you want all those things Android does, go get it tiger. They'll sell them to ANYBODY and I mean ANYBODY.
I hope Apple doesn't change much, I like it the way it is.

And sorry for the novel, it got away from me

Compile 'em all
Dec 28, 2011, 05:53 PM
A settings toggle widget doesn't over complicate, nor does having a gesture to access an advanced menu!

You probably work for Microsoft. Or Google.

"A setting", will be in front of everyone. Those who want this feature and those who don't. You see, ANYTHING you add complicates things. It adds burden. Both on the user and on the software itself. Instead of scrolling through a list of 10 items in settings, I will scroll through 11 or 12. More work. Makes finding what you are looking for also more difficult. A feature, no matter how small it looks to you, adds complexity. More code = more complexity.

Things aren't that simple.

Dmunjal
Dec 28, 2011, 06:00 PM
That's true if the Widgets are designed that way. But then again, what good would outdated stock quotes & weather info do? I'm not disputing the usefulness of Widgets but having old info isn't helpful.

Better than no info! :)

SurferMan
Dec 28, 2011, 06:13 PM

"A setting", will be in front of everyone. Those who want this feature and those who don't. You see, ANYTHING you add complicates things. It adds burden. Both on the user and on the software itself. Instead of scrolling through a list of 10 items in settings, I will scroll through 11 or 12. More work. Makes finding what you are looking for also more difficult. A feature, no matter how small it looks to you, adds complexity. More code = more complexity.

Things aren't that simple.How is that a burden or more complicated having toggles in the center to access settings? I can swipe the center down and quickly go back and forth for any primary setting faster then going through iOS itself. If that's too much to handle for someone then they shouldn't even use the notification center anyway, or a smart phone lol. Apple should just get rid of the app store and everything else and leave just the phone icon, it'll be less complicated :D ;)

It's not that more complex as far as coding, SBS was almost immediately ready for iOS5, your telling me that a single developer can handle more coding and work then all of Apples tech team?? And btw there's no burden on the software, it works and run's perfectly as smooth as before even on an older phone like the 3GS.

Buckeyestar
Dec 28, 2011, 06:19 PM

Discuss :)Widgets? No thanks, I don't want pointless doodads constantly draining my battery.

Long presses for some symbols? Already can do that.

And please no more Facebook crap, I'm loathe attention whore sites. I want less exposure, not more.

Yumunum
Dec 28, 2011, 06:26 PM
In my dream land:

-huge 5" hi-def screens
-no animations
-Flash
-real filesystem
-a GOOD Gmail app
-a GOOD YouTube app
-Google Maps app (not an Apple app with Google Maps. I'm talking about the real Google Maps app on Android)
-ability to remove lock screen
-better viewing of browser tabs
-notifications that work JUST like Android (ICS)
-ability to use the browser in "desktop" mode. You know, changing the user agent.
-widgets. They aren't always too helpful, but sometimes they can be.

Widgets? No thanks, I don't want pointless doodads constantly draining my battery.

And please no more Facebook crap, I'm loathe attention whore sites. I want less exposure, not more.

Just because some widgets do too much and hog battery, it doesn't mean ALL of them are bad.

Examples of good widgets: toggles (tethering, bluetooth, wifi, ect), word of the day, weather, Facebook status updater, icon showing number of apps running, today's agenda from your calendar, today's date in a large font, a "new note" button for Evernote or something...

You see what I mean. Obviously those things could be useful. Even if they wouldn't be useful for you.

And about Facebook, that's totally relative to you.

Jett0516
Dec 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
google navigation.

that is all.

AndyinAtl
Dec 28, 2011, 06:38 PM

My Iphone 4s is my first Iphone and my first apple product. I'm stumped why I can't customize volume. It seems to me I should be able too. :cool:

matttye
Dec 28, 2011, 07:15 PM

Things aren't that simple.

You misunderstood what a "settings toggle widget" is I think. Perhaps read the thread and you might get it, then make a post that makes sense.

----------

Widgets? No thanks, I don't want pointless doodads constantly draining my battery.

A calendar widget or settings widget wouldn't drain your battery. It's widgets that constantly update with info like weather, Facebook, etc, and AGAIN, nothing would force you to use a widget if you didn't want to, but they would be there for those who do.

No you cant. You can long press for foreign letters such as and , but you can't long press for numbers or symbols such as brackets: () {} [].

Facebook was only an example of the way the feature could be utilised. It could just as easily be used by something useful such as photobucket.

AppleorDeath
Dec 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
Disgusting. Apple would never take anything from that monstrosity Android.

Drunken Master
Dec 28, 2011, 07:45 PM
I don't see the big fuss. I don't want my 4s to look like a Android or work like one.

I had a Samsung Galaxy s and I used 1 widget. It was a calendar widget. Its really one of the only widgets that was really beneficial. I get my daily schedule in a PDF. I copy those to my gmail calendar and the widget allowed me to just see daily where I was right on the screen all the time. Without it, I had to open the calendar, and without that, I had to open each PDF.....which because Android wont allow us to put my schedule folder on home screen, I had to nav through Files>Data>Schedules 2011>Find PDF, then open.
So that particular widget was useful. I had it on the first screen, then home screen(2), then screen 3 was more apps I used.

Now, these clock and weather widgets are BS. Its just toys for people to feel good about. What the hell do you need a clock widget for when iPhone.....hell most phones for that matter have the date/time on the unlock screen and the home screen anyway.
I hit the home button....BOOM, date/time right there easy to see. Unlock it, boom there again the time. So why oh why is it such a big deal for people to have these cluttered, battery draining widgets for clock. Its something that makes people feel their device is doing more for them.

And weather.....REALLY. Look outside. Ive made it 32 years without knowing weather each and every second of my life. I get up, stick an arm outside, if its cold I dress warm, if its hot I dress cool, if its raining I grab an umbrella. Its not that big a deal. Id trade a damn weather widget for more cell strength.
Not that mine is bad, its good, but if we're asking for more, how about more battery or cell strength....something useful
And BTW, iPhone has weather data pushed right to notification bar as default.......so there you have it.
I turned it off. We get enough weather on nightly news every night, I don't need it constantly on my screen, draining my battery.

Listen, I'm not so sure that the reason so many Androids have all the Vista like problems isn't because they allow too much.

I don't feel short changed at all coming from Android. My phone for once does exactly what its supposed to all the time. Its fast, snappy/smooth and it just works.....ALL the time.

My Galaxy DID NOT. Its jittery, buggy, hangs up, apps conflict with the phone....IT SUCKS.
Maybe Jobs was so insistent about keeping the iOS the way it was because that's how to keep things stable. Sure they could add all these things.....are you kidding. Look at what they do.
But buy allowing certain things, it opens the door for others and then there's whole lots more issues to chase down.
The way Apple works, it works because they lock it up and keep the issues to a minimum.

I like the app security. Knowing that the apps are good and will work with my phone the right way.
I don't want too much changed with iOS. Especially in the direction of copying Android. Thats why I left them.

Id like a couple changes, not additions. Id like to have quicker access to WiFi on/off or Bluetooth on/off. Either via adding shortcut to screen or buttons at top. But, its not that big a deal.

If I decide after shooting a pic, "Oh, Id like to send this to my mother", then just tap it and share via email, then add to who. You have to do it anyway.

The only difference is, if you start an email then decide later you want to add an attachment. But really, you'd still have to nav each image, the wait for it to attach.

I say, if you want all those things Android does, go get it tiger. They'll sell them to ANYBODY and I mean ANYBODY.

A+ post mate, but you won't find any sympathetic ears here. It seems common sense runs counter to the hacker ethos and the fetishist desire for ultimate customization.

In my dream land:

-huge 5" hi-def screens
-no animations
-Flash
-real filesystem
-a GOOD Gmail app
-a GOOD YouTube app
-Google Maps app (not an Apple app with Google Maps. I'm talking about the real Google Maps app on Android)
-ability to use the browser in "desktop" mode. You know, changing the user agent.

Hm...sounds like maybe you should get a Droid phone.

Photogdave
Dec 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
In my dream land:

-huge 5" hi-def screens
-no animations
-Flash
-real filesystem
-a GOOD Gmail app
-a GOOD YouTube app

You can get it. Its readily available. They sell any Droid phone to anyone. You walk into a Verizon store today and one of those goofy sales guys will make your dreams come true.
Cause that's what they love to push, those Droids. You gotta beg for them to grab an iPhone for you, and then they try to convince you the entire time they are ringing you up that every Droid they have is better than the iPhone.
Its gross how they do.
I had one actually look at me and shake his head and say, "I cant believe you'd choose the iPhone 4s over the Rezound, something must be wrong with you"
I said, "If I were as big a dick as you, Id have you fired for that comment you just made, but its your lucky day"
"Can you just get me the phone so I can get back to reality"
Only to have him come back and say, sorry, all sold out, not one within 150miles.
I went 45miles down the road to Best Buy and grabbed one that night.
So go ahead, they'll hook you up, I guarantee it.

sentinelsx
Dec 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
In my dream land:

-huge 5" hi-def screens
-no animations
-Flash
-real filesystem
-a GOOD Gmail app
-a GOOD YouTube app

Galaxy Note?

----------

Hit the nail on the head. Exactly what i was thinking.

However, a little deviation would not be so bad. Apple's motto is "Think Different" after all. Just not "Think Android" :)

If anything, a nicely executed increase in screen real estate with about half the bezels compared to the current ones on the top and bottom will not hurt so much as long as the phone it self doesn't grow very wide or tall.

onthecouchagain
Dec 28, 2011, 08:34 PM
THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLy7gN3Okc4&feature=related

There are so many ways iOS can improve, inspired by Android, or just in general.

Dmunjal
Dec 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
The point of this whole debate is that Apple could completely kill Android if they just took some of these features and added them to iOS. The fact there are so many threads on this topic in THIS forum shows that there is a demand for these features amongst iPhone users.

Eager Beaver
Dec 28, 2011, 09:31 PM
In my dream land:

-huge 5" hi-def screens
-no animations
-Flash
-real filesystem
-a GOOD Gmail app
-a GOOD YouTube app

That would be one heck of an iphone -
One worth standing in line for !!! :)

Photogdave
Dec 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
Galaxy Note?

----------

Hit the nail on the head. Exactly what i was thinking.

However, a little deviation would not be so bad. Apple's motto is "Think Different" after all. Just not "Think Android" :)

If anything, a nicely executed increase in screen real estate with about half the bezels compared to the current ones on the top and bottom will not hurt so much as long as the phone it self doesn't grow very wide or tall.

Well and as for size, as long as its not much bigger. I mean, we went years in the direction of smaller smaller smaller.....to too small.

Then, Apple released the iPhone and then we go bigger bigger bigger to the point we're carrying around a damn tablet now on our hips.

To me and Ive heard many say that Apple intended it this way, but the size of the iPhone isnt because they cant make a bigger screen, its because of the ergonomics. In the average hand, its too hard to operate a SGS2, and so is the Nexus and some of the others. The Razor feels horrible in the hand and nearly impossible to use in one hand.

The iPhone has a nice balance between screen size for usability and ease of use in one hand. The thumb can reach across the screen and not strain and feel like you are gonna drop it. Its that way for a reason.
Also, the battery life keeps getting worse because of idiots in marketing. They find a consumer spec and run wide open with it for the hills....."Look at us, we make the biggest screen of all" and that's their selling point.
Like camera makers and their pixel sales pitch.
I'm a professional photographer btw and this bothers me. We've dealt with this for the last 5 yrs of each major brand trying to one up the next in megapixels. Who cares. Give me better pixels. Thats what matters. The size and quality of the pixels, not count.

Instead, manufacturers like phone makers for Android and camera makers make these technological break throughs in pixel quality or battery management , only to negate the battery gains or image quality gains to be rewarded by adding more pixels or by adding a bigger screen.

So where by now, we should be able to get insane low light image quality we get ok quality because they keep adding pixels.
Where we should be able to get 2 days on a battery charge due to new screen efficiency, software and better battery technology, we get the same or worse usage time because they keep making bigger and bigger screens to chew it up.......or in some cases more and more crappy widgets etc.
We don't need screens this big. And if any of you guys think you need a phone screen that big, GO BUY A TABLET.
I have a Laptop, and a desktop with a 24" screen. My phone is a great add one cause in a pinch, it gives me lots of the same ability on the move.
The screens are fine, we're losing the convenience of these devices because we're becoming tethered to wall chargers due to all this stuff.

Disclaimer.......I'm perfectly content with my iPhone 4s battery life.
I can do whatever I want on it all day and still have 25-40% battery when I get home. And this doesn't show how much image viewing, and video recording done, there's been games played. Ive done quite a bit of iTunes syncing today as well.

I DO NOT WANT AN ANDROID. I want to see Apple keep Phone same size, if anything just a tad bigger, and I mean maybe 1/4" bigger. Its a good size.
Id like to see them concentrate on world class battery life. If they put all efforts towards this, I bet they could give us a 3day battery with else being equal. Then, when on LTE the battery wont be gone in 4hrs like all my 4G Droid brethren
And maybe a couple tweaks to make the existing iOS better where they see fit. But NOT to look like Android. I can buy any of those at any time.

Eager Beaver
Dec 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
I DO NOT WANT AN ANDROID. I want to see Apple keep Phone same size, if anything just a tad bigger.

Dude, it's OK, let it out ................... we ALL want a bigger screen - :)

dontwalkhand
Dec 28, 2011, 10:55 PM
I don't know if Android has this, but I want to throw this in here...

SOUND PROFILES!

For example, after 1AM, I don't want the phone to ring unless it is my best friend, my girlfriend, or my family in case of emergencies. Everyone else can wait until 7AM when the sound profile would deactivate. My really old Blackberry did this...please Apple! ;)

matttye
Dec 29, 2011, 05:39 AM

SOUND PROFILES!

For example, after 1AM, I don't want the phone to ring unless it is my best friend, my girlfriend, or my family in case of emergencies. Everyone else can wait until 7AM when the sound profile would deactivate. My really old Blackberry did this...please Apple! ;)

Android doesn't have this by default but there's an app called Tasker that can change settings by reacting to just about any event you can think of.

grahamnp
Dec 29, 2011, 07:02 AM
I really like the data cap monitor that ICS has.

Also, I'd like more options in general. Small things here and there that let you tweak the device to your liking. I'd rather not have to jailbreak.

I really do not want to see the iphone getting a bigger screen. 3.7" is fine, anything larger is gimmicky and not very functional unless you have huge hands or like to shuffle the phone around in your palm.

bushido
Dec 29, 2011, 07:17 AM
i'd like to see

notification icons in the status bar (i know u can jailbreak it)
better battery management (android 4 has some cute graphs that show the way u use your battery over months)
widgets (showing latest fb news etc)
different desktops where u can move icons around without a fix grip (looking at icons for years is becoming boring)
unlimited apps u can put in a freakin folder (why they limited it in the first place is beyond me)
keyboard vibrating feedback when u type
TASKKILLER (i dont want to close every app one by one)
better YouTube speaks for itself
TOGGLES a more efficient way to turn off things like bluetooth etc (SB Settings *cough cough*)

Calidude
Dec 29, 2011, 10:11 AM
Disgusting. Apple would never take anything from that monstrosity Android.
The notification center in iOS 5 begs to differ.

----------

THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLy7gN3Okc4&feature=related

There are so many ways iOS can improve, inspired by Android, or just in general.
Good thing they hired that guy.

----------

I really like the data cap monitor that ICS has.
I was going to post about this. I am SHOCKED that Android got this before iOS did. Absolutely SHOCKED.

BoxerGT2.5
Dec 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
My Iphone 4s is my first Iphone and my first apple product. I'm stumped why I can't customize volume. It seems to me I should be able too. :cool:

No, you use it the way they want you to use it. When they finally do release the feature, the fanboys will stare in amazement like they've just witnessed the parting of he Nile. Then they will come and post here that Apple is "cutting edge" and everyone tries to copy them.

Calidude
Dec 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
No, you use it the way they want you to use it. When they finally do release the feature, the fanboys will stare in amazement like they've just witnessed the parting of he Nile. Then they will come and post here that Apple is "cutting edge" and everyone tries to copy them.
It was the Red Sea, but yes, I agree.

Photogdave
Dec 29, 2011, 10:35 AM

SOUND PROFILES!

I like the idea of these. But, always the but,
That works if said person is calling from that phone.
Say your best friend was in a car accident or whatever, I'm knocking on wood he doesn't, and they called you from the hospital, no ring. It would only work if they called from his phone.

I wish there was a way that we have your idea, but somehow, someway if a Hospital were to call, any hospital or doctor....anything medical, it would always be let through, bypass any blocks. Then your idea would be great.

Photogdave
Dec 29, 2011, 10:39 AM

Hahaha, no really I dont. Im really happy with it and its result on my battery.
Almost 2days standby and almost 7hrs usage, and I hit it hard for video, camera.

mmmtastybusch
Dec 29, 2011, 10:54 AM
To all the people saying all the negative things about widgets... guess what? You don't have to use them! All we're saying is we should have the OPTION!! What is your argument against why we should have the option to?

matttye
Dec 29, 2011, 11:30 AM
To all the people saying all the negative things about widgets... guess what? You don't have to use them! All we're saying is we should have the OPTION!! What is your argument against why we should have the option to?

Yeah everybody here posts like they think widgets will be shoved in their faces. People posting about "ugly widgets" and "power hungry widgets" need to realise they wouldn't be forced to use them!

mrochester
Dec 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
The only thing I'd like are icons in the status bar for texts/emails/missed calls etc. Everything else is just fluff and wouldn't enhance my productivity in any way. However, the above isn't really an Android feature per se, and Apple achieve the same thing, but in a different way, with badges.

Yeah everybody here posts like they think widgets will be shoved in their faces. People posting about "ugly widgets" and "power hungry widgets" need to realise they wouldn't be forced to use them!

The topic of the thread seems to be asking people to name the Android features they'd like to see in iOS. If they don't want widgets, it's not going to be a feature they want!

Photogdave
Dec 29, 2011, 12:04 PM

Well its not that I don't want people to have the option. As said, if I don't want them, I don't have to use them.
But what we are worried about is, just like Android, we don't HAVE to use them, but the very ability to have them opens one door that opens another and then all of a sudden, we have Android like hang ups and bugs.
There's a fundamental reason Apple has closed that door. Their products work.
That's my fear. I don't like monkeying with something that's not broke.

matttye
Dec 29, 2011, 12:16 PM
The topic of the thread seems to be asking people to name the Android features they'd like to see in iOS. If they don't want widgets, it's not going to be a feature they want!

I appreciate that, I just don't see the point in people saying apple shouldn't add widgets, apple should keep things simple, etc, when it wouldn't affect them as they wouldn't be forced to use them!

mmmtastybusch
Dec 29, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well its not that I don't want people to have the option. As said, if I don't want them, I don't have to use them.
But what we are worried about is, just like Android, we don't HAVE to use them, but the very ability to have them opens one door that opens another and then all of a sudden, we have Android like hang ups and bugs.

So you want the iPhone to stay exactly the same from now on?

matttye
Dec 29, 2011, 01:25 PM

Can I ask, what android phones and software versions have you used? Have you ever used a top end android phone? My sgs2 doesn't freeze or crash. Safari on my iPad force closes more than my android apps.

Also, if widgets were implemented properly they wouldn't cause stability issues.

sentinelsx
Dec 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
To be honest a lot of this stuff is not android specific or even android invention as many people here think. Things like filesystems, customizations (sound, screen, theme, tones etc etc), multi-tasking, different form factors, 3rd party app management etc were present in many Nokia phones i used in the past especially the N95 and E71.

It is funny how many people think android got all this started when this was a norm in windows mobile far before android. If you have used windows mobile you will notice the similarities sans the number of apps.

matttye
Dec 29, 2011, 02:34 PM
To be honest a lot of this stuff is not android specific or even android invention as many people here think. Things like filesystems, customizations (sound, screen, theme, tones etc etc), multi-tasking, different form factors, 3rd party app management etc were present in many Nokia phones i used in the past especially the N95 and E71.

It is funny how many people think android got all this started when this was a norm in windows mobile far before android. If you have used windows mobile you will notice the similarities sans the number of apps.

I don't think people are suggesting google created these features, just that they're present in android.

BoxerGT2.5
Dec 29, 2011, 06:29 PM
Options? Apple? Nah!!!!!!!

Carl Sagan
Dec 29, 2011, 06:34 PM

Yep but every fanboy thinks their device is the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread...

onthecouchagain
Dec 29, 2011, 06:44 PM
Face recognition may be coming to iOS in the future. Apple apparently filed for the patent before Google.

lordofthereef
Dec 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
Probably not. I've seen most people's ideas of what constitutes good design and it's really friggin' lacking.

You are right. A simple grid of icons is more refined. You must be one of those mac users with icons and all kinds of ish on your desktop. Somehow cluttered is more organized for these people.

Eager Beaver
Dec 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yep but every fanboy thinks their device is the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread...

That's not true, .........

I used to think that my JB and unlocked tricked out 3g was the cat's derriere -
But now with my nonJB 4s, I feel like an idiot that I waited all this time for a phone with the same tiny (only yellow)screen, and major battery issues -

I was an iphone bragger/fanboy for almost 3 years til the 4s was announced - :o

matttye
Dec 29, 2011, 07:37 PM
You are right. A simple grid of icons is more refined. You must be one of those mac users with icons and all kinds of ish on your desktop. Somehow cluttered is more organized for these people.

Hmm having my agenda right on the home screen seems more organised than having to press an icon to go into an app.. Am I alone in thinking this? What's the point in having to press an icon when it could be right in front of me??

mysterioustko
Dec 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hmm having my agenda right on the home screen seems more organised than having to press an icon to go into an app.. Am I alone in thinking this? What's the point in having to press an icon when it could be right in front of me??

I think it provides for an increased level of functionality. I think anytime you are able to put the things that are most important to you in a place that makes it readily available, adds a level of functionality and convenience.

Azadre
Dec 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
Android sucks. Would rather use an OS where I am the customer, not the product.

mysterioustko
Dec 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
Android sucks. Would rather use an OS where I am the customer, not the product.

How profound....:rolleyes:

Carl Sagan
Dec 29, 2011, 08:27 PM
That's not true, .........

I used to think that my JB and unlocked tricked out 3g was the cat's derriere -
But now with my nonJB 4s, I feel like an idiot that I waited all this time for a phone with the same tiny (only yellow)screen, and major battery issues -

I was an iphone bragger/fanboy for almost 3 years til the 4s was announced - :o

You're the exception that proves the rule.;)

Photogdave
Dec 29, 2011, 09:27 PM
So you want the iPhone to stay exactly the same from now on?

well, I want them to keep doing things their way, cause it works. I dont however want them copying Android, cause it DOES NOT work. And there are reasons for it.

thenerdal
Dec 29, 2011, 09:50 PM
well, I want them to keep doing things their way, cause it works. I dont however want them copying Android, cause it DOES NOT work. And there are reasons for it.

Well, sometimes it does work with the new Notification Center.

Yes, I think Apple copied Android with the notification center. Yes, there might have been a jailbreak tweak that had something like that around or before Android had it, but Apple didn't have it by default.

Photogdave
Dec 29, 2011, 10:18 PM
Can I ask, what android phones and software versions have you used? Have you ever used a top end android phone? My sgs2 doesn't freeze or crash. Safari on my iPad force closes more than my android apps.

Also, if widgets were implemented properly they wouldn't cause stability issues.

Absolutely you can.
Well I started with a Samsung Fascinate which was Top of the Line when I bought it.

It was an awesome phone for some months. Then I started noticing it freezing. Then it would decide one day after dialing a number to do nothing more, just sit and pause. Id have to pull the battery. Then it would make a call.
It would freeze in the gallery at times, had to pull battery.
Id notice it would get incredibly slow between backing out of one App to open another.....had to pull battery.
Battery pulls were always a quick fix, for a couple days.
And yes, all Apps were closed....and I always kept an eye on the Running Services menu too to ensure even when task manager showed closed they were not still running....which several apps were at times, had to Stop those.

Which was another nagging issue....the need to constantly close apps to keep battery up and performance up.

So after getting tired of that, I went and they sold me the latest and greatest Charge.....the Verizon replacement to the Fascinate. Touted and the fastest 4G phone sold at the time. I tried it out and on day 8, started getting same BS as I did on Fasc. Screen getting jittery, wasn't smooth, slow and of course the need for dreaded battery pulls.

I went back and they swapped it for the HTC Thunderbolt......the other salesman said it was actually the best Droid available and how Samsung was garbage. I was assured Id be happy.
To start, battery life was insanely low. I had everything turned off and barely made it home from work with little use. Tag this thing for an hour and it ate 50% of the battery, slide through some 4G and its history.

Then, the force closes started. Apps hanging up, jumpy screen.

I had enough. I was convinced this is just Droid, so if I'm gonna be stuck with droid, I'm gonna keep same phone and not be out anything.
Ive dealt with 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and all was same....why should 4.0 be any different.

I returned for a refund and had my Fascinate back running.

I wiped it, Factory restored it and put in a class 8 Micro card to help speed things up.

That worked for a week......WITH NO APPS INSTALLED AT ALL!!!!!
And I'm not a heavy app user/installer. I even abolished Facebook App because it always ran in background, even when closed out of task manager.

Then in middle of night, Verizon decided to give us Gingerbread......OH BOY.
And that's where the beginning of the end was for me and Android.
The battery life went to crap. Then I started getting this deal where it showed it was connected to a USB cable....even when it wasn't connected to anything.
Then in middle of night on 98% charge, it turned itself off. I was late for work......cause the alarm wont go off if the phone is off :eek:

This phone would not boot unless you first connected to charger, then it would boot, remove charger and it showed good charge.

Verizon updated the Kernel, and yes, another factory reset. it did not help.
I did one more and that fixed it.......for a week. Now its doing everything again.

At that point, I filed for divorce.
I went that night, added a line and bought myself an iPhone 4s.
Its been bliss since I said I do

My new iPhone 4s runs so smooth. Smoother than any phone Ive ever used. Its very fast, the wifi speeds are faster than on any of the three other phones.
Call quality is phenomenal. battery life is very good. When I download an App, it works.
And now I don't need to close an App every time I'm done. It runs the same speed with all open or all closed, battery life too.

Sorry for the long response, but you asked for it :)

lordofthereef
Dec 29, 2011, 10:41 PM

You must have missed the sarcasm...

chuges
Dec 29, 2011, 11:05 PM
Not sure if Android has this, but what I would like to see on the iphone:

-option to view the timestamp for all text messages (and I know a lot of other people want this too)

-ability to select certain portions of words within a text message, instead of only being able to copy the entire text. This would be especially helpful for extracting addresses or phone numbers if the text has other erroneous stuff in it

-ability to select a text message within your conversation and for the phone to show only that without the rest of the convo, kind of like how dumbphones used to only show individual texts. sometimes you want to show people a message you sent/received but then it gets awkward if there's other stuff in the conversation that they shouldn't be seeing!

onthecouchagain
Dec 30, 2011, 12:42 AM
It's interesting that one of Apple's core philosophies is to innovate, yet also not change much or quickly.

Just something that strikes me, especially when people say "it works, why fix/change it?" How long can saying that last before it conflicts with innovation?

map1978
Dec 30, 2011, 02:08 AM
let me put icons anywhere i want on the home screen

not that hard apple

Dmunjal
Dec 30, 2011, 02:11 AM
Silicon Valley thrives on innovation. I can't even imagine what it would be like if some of the people on this board ran tech companies. Leave well enough alone? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Really?

The one thing we can count on in the tech world is change and constant innovation. We should all be thankful for that.

matttye
Dec 30, 2011, 05:41 AM
Absolutely you can.
Well I started with a Samsung Fascinate which was Top of the Line when I bought it.

It was an awesome phone for some months. Then I started noticing it freezing. Then it would decide one day after dialing a number to do nothing more, just sit and pause. Id have to pull the battery. Then it would make a call.
It would freeze in the gallery at times, had to pull battery.
Id notice it would get incredibly slow between backing out of one App to open another.....had to pull battery.
Battery pulls were always a quick fix, for a couple days.
And yes, all Apps were closed....and I always kept an eye on the Running Services menu too to ensure even when task manager showed closed they were not still running....which several apps were at times, had to Stop those.

Which was another nagging issue....the need to constantly close apps to keep battery up and performance up.

So after getting tired of that, I went and they sold me the latest and greatest Charge.....the Verizon replacement to the Fascinate. Touted and the fastest 4G phone sold at the time. I tried it out and on day 8, started getting same BS as I did on Fasc. Screen getting jittery, wasn't smooth, slow and of course the need for dreaded battery pulls.

I went back and they swapped it for the HTC Thunderbolt......the other salesman said it was actually the best Droid available and how Samsung was garbage. I was assured Id be happy.
To start, battery life was insanely low. I had everything turned off and barely made it home from work with little use. Tag this thing for an hour and it ate 50% of the battery, slide through some 4G and its history.

Then, the force closes started. Apps hanging up, jumpy screen.

I had enough. I was convinced this is just Droid, so if I'm gonna be stuck with droid, I'm gonna keep same phone and not be out anything.
Ive dealt with 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and all was same....why should 4.0 be any different.

I returned for a refund and had my Fascinate back running.

I wiped it, Factory restored it and put in a class 8 Micro card to help speed things up.

That worked for a week......WITH NO APPS INSTALLED AT ALL!!!!!
And I'm not a heavy app user/installer. I even abolished Facebook App because it always ran in background, even when closed out of task manager.

Then in middle of night, Verizon decided to give us Gingerbread......OH BOY.
And that's where the beginning of the end was for me and Android.
The battery life went to crap. Then I started getting this deal where it showed it was connected to a USB cable....even when it wasn't connected to anything.
Then in middle of night on 98% charge, it turned itself off. I was late for work......cause the alarm wont go off if the phone is off :eek:

This phone would not boot unless you first connected to charger, then it would boot, remove charger and it showed good charge.

Verizon updated the Kernel, and yes, another factory reset. it did not help.
I did one more and that fixed it.......for a week. Now its doing everything again.

At that point, I filed for divorce.
I went that night, added a line and bought myself an iPhone 4s.
Its been bliss since I said I do

My new iPhone 4s runs so smooth. Smoother than any phone Ive ever used. Its very fast, the wifi speeds are faster than on any of the three other phones.
Call quality is phenomenal. battery life is very good. When I download an App, it works.
And now I don't need to close an App every time I'm done. It runs the same speed with all open or all closed, battery life too.

Sorry for the long response, but you asked for it :)

Thanks. If I had half of those issues I'd be getting rid of my phone faster than you can eat a gingerbread man :p

One point to note though; you say you had to keep pulling the battery on your phone. What you should do with a smartphone is reboot them once a day, or every couple of days at least. They are computers after all. A reboot gives them a clean slate, frees memory etc.

You must have missed the sarcasm...

D'oh!

It's interesting that one of Apple's core philosophies is to innovate, yet also not change much or quickly.

Just something that strikes me, especially when people say "it works, why fix/change it?" How long can saying that last before it conflicts with innovation?

That's a good point, it has to be one or the other eventually!

matttye
Dec 30, 2011, 05:53 AM
Not sure if Android has this, but I would like to see:

-option to view the timestamp for all text messages (and I know a lot of other people want this too)

-ability to select certain portions of words within a text message, instead of only being able to copy the entire text. This would be especially helpful for extracting addresses or phone numbers if the text has other erroneous stuff in it

-ability to select a text message within your conversation and for the phone to show only that without the rest of the convo, kind of like how dumbphones used to only show individual texts. sometimes you want to show people a message you sent/received but then it gets awkward if there's other stuff in the conversation that they shouldn't be seeing!

The beauty of Android is the ability to replace default apps with ones that better suit your needs. Google doesn't have time to create an SMS app with thousands of features, but an individual developer does.

I use GoSMS. Of the three you listed, only one feature is implemented but there might be acceptable workarounds:

- you can view the time stamp for all messages.
- you can't copy part of a message, but you can tap on a phone number to do things with it. You can also forward/share the message which will then allow you to copy part of it - without actually sending it.
- you can't view an individual message, but you can tap on share message which then copies the message into some other app; could be email, Facebook, twitter or any other service that has installed the ability for you to share things. This isolates the message in effect, which is what you wanted to do anyway.

There are other SMS apps such as handcent which probably does everything you want.

patent10021
Dec 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
I'd like to have a feature that when I lose my iPhone I wouldn't care 2 sh^ts about losing it. That would be the best feature that Android currently has :cool:

Unfortunately I'll never see that feature. [sarcasm]

:apple:

summitRun
Dec 30, 2011, 10:16 AM
I wish I could delete new email from the notification screen. It seems absurd that I have to go into the mail box with a bunch of taps to accomplish this

Does anyone know if Android allows this? I am 2 weeks into my 30 day trial of a 4s and thinking of switching because of how much I hate email on iOS

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks. If I had half of those issues I'd be getting rid of my phone faster than you can eat a gingerbread man :p

Hahaha. Yeah, so I did. I'm scorned for sure. But it was three different phones so you can see how I'm burned out by the Android experience.

I did do reboots periodically, though not everyday.
But, I haven't turned my iPhone off in a week and its fine.:D
So another plus for Apple. The other was now I have no need to close Apps all the time. I like the fact iPhone can just leave the Apps open and they don't run and eat battery or slow phone down. That's nice.

----------

let me put icons anywhere i want on the home screen

not that hard apple

Um, you can. Ive arranged all my icons the way I want them. Am I just not understanding what you meant.:confused:

SurferMan
Dec 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Um, you can. Ive arranged all my icons the way I want them. Am I just not understanding what you meant.:confused:He pry means like this, here's two snapshots from themes I have, but with gridlock you can place apps and folders wherever you want on the screen:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/3c69db40.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/0d799772.jpg

xTRIGGER092x
Dec 30, 2011, 11:04 AM
-Large, high-quality screens
-More customization (keyboards, themes, etc.) - I wouldn't want amateur crap going around iOS; some Apple-created ones would be nice, though.
-More "open" app store (less censorship and restrictions on what type of apps can and can't be sold, but still reviewed by Apple for anything shady)
-Expandable storage

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
Silicon Valley thrives on innovation. I can't even imagine what it would be like if some of the people on this board ran tech companies. Leave well enough alone? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Really?

The one thing we can count on in the tech world is change and constant innovation. We should all be thankful for that.

Well, I think my comment was misunderstood. I'm all for innovation. As in continuous improvement.
Of course I don't want Apple to keep the same processor for the next 5 years.
No, if you got a better one, I want it. You got a better battery, give it to me.
I just don't want them throwing in stuff just because Android does just to make all of you guys happy. If you really want all those thing, why do you have an iPhone, go get an Android.
I'm afraid if they copy Android, we get Android and all its downfalls
I want Apple to do it the way they do it. Its been proven to work for years. There's a reason why they are industry leading. The whole Apple/Mac, design/approach is different than PC/Windows or Android.
Whatever "it" is, it works. Theres a reason all Hollywood movie editors use Mac towers instead of Dell/Pc towers for Video editing.
They cant all be wrong.
And "that", whatever "it" is.....is also very prevalent in the iPhone over Android phones.

Listen, I'm not here to try and convince anyone that all should use Apple over Android or Mac over PC. I own a PC, and wish I had a Mac.
I see the difference and I like it.
And I know Apple has had issues with things in past, and there may be battery issues too now. I don't have any.
As for battery, most have came down to either a bad update or configuration.
Alot of those complaining are acting like they expect to use the phone all day and have everything on it turned on and get 2 or 3 days out of it.
iPhone battery life...."for me" is right on par or better than all other Smartphones. Ive used enough and read enough of others.

This is where the technology is at the moment, large screens and lots of CPU uses battery. Want 5 days a charge, get a regular phone.
It will get there. And lot of those complaining about battery, STILL HAVE SCREEN BRIGHTNESS AS HIGH AS IT GOES!
Really, that's the first trick to battery life we learned on smartphones....all of them. Screen brightness. I immediately turn off Auto adjust, set brightness to half way on iPhone an its very good. Its still plenty bright.
My Androids I went even lower, about 25%. It helps....we all know, or should know by now, the screen is "THE" biggest battery pull on the device.

Look no device ever built is done so with NO issues. Its built by humans and there are issues.
But when I weigh the issues and track record, Apple wins...won.
Ive been burned by Windows for YEEEAARSsss. No more. The next chunk of coin I have will be for a Mac. I'm tired of that too.

Lets keep our heads straight guys. Lets remember, this is a forum. And people dont get on forums to say how happy they are or great their products are.
Its human nature to forget the good and complain about the bad to no end.
Most 98% of people on here are here to voice their unhappiness and get help with it. And thats it. It is what it is.
We need to try and NOT get caught up in all the bad and at least try to focus on some good too.

Im betting there's more good than bad.

iceterminal
Dec 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
Still trying to understand why people want their iOS to act like Android. Why don't they just buy android?

I wonder if these are the same people that jump into a pool, then bitch about getting wet.

mrochester
Dec 30, 2011, 11:38 AM
Still trying to understand why people want their iOS to act like Android. Why don't they just buy android?

I wonder if these are the same people that jump into a pool, then bitch about getting wet.

I don't get it either. It's almost like they really really want an iPhone, but just can't bring themselves to buy one. Why are some so lustful and hopeful over a product they will never buy?

map1978
Dec 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
He pry means like this, here's two snapshots from themes I have, but with gridlock you can place apps and folders wherever you want on the screen:

Image (http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/3c69db40.jpg)
Image (http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/0d799772.jpg)

yes, when I said let me put icons anywhere on the screen, I meant place them wherever I want and not have to line them up

easiest JB feature to date....should be added to iOS 5.1, but it won't be :rolleyes:

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 11:52 AM

----------

yes, when I said let me put icons anywhere on the screen, I meant place them wherever I want and not have to line them up

easiest JB feature to date....should be added to iOS 5.1, but it won't be :rolleyes:

OK, I see. Well, its not that big a deal for me, but if that's a must for some, so be it.

But I cant help but wonder, why cant we.
There must be a reason Apple deems it a no go.
"I" personally cant see how being able to do so would cause any kind of issues with the iPhone, but they must have a reason. Anyone with higher knowledge on iOS UI care to speculate.:confused:

sneaky butcher
Dec 30, 2011, 11:53 AM
-Large, high-quality screens
-More customization (keyboards, themes, etc.) - I wouldn't want amateur crap going around iOS; some Apple-created ones would be nice, though.
-More "open" app store (less censorship and restrictions on what type of apps can and can't be sold, but still reviewed by Apple for anything shady)
-Expandable storage

expandable storage is a big no no for apple. Unless its as fast as internal memory.

accessing the expandable will cause slow down in how the phone operates. Also it would just encourage people to get the cheaper handset and add memory of their own. Less money for apple

buy you never know they might surprise me.

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 11:54 AM

Same here. I just dont get it.

sneaky butcher
Dec 30, 2011, 12:00 PM
Same here. I just dont get it.

I think iphone users who are more informed see features on android they would like but they're still only a small percentage of apple users.

i asked 3 of my iphone owning friends if they would like widgets and all of them said "what are widgets?".

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
expandable storage is a big no no for apple. Unless its as fast as internal memory.

accessing the expandable will cause slow down in how the phone operates. Also it would just encourage people to get the cheaper handset and add memory of their own. Less money for apple

I completely agree. I think one MO for Apple is to eliminate things that could make a consumer "think" somethings wrong.

For sure, a bottleneck occurs between OS and Micro Sd speed.

We see it using external HD via USB vs internal HD.

So I think Apple would rather take the option out and force internal so there's no chance a consumer would complain about a hang up or slow function between phone and card.
Because if the consumer buys the cheapest card available from Walmart a Class 2 , which most do, instead of a Class 10, then when the bottleneck occurred, they'd blame Apple and bad mouth the product when it wasn't their fault. It was just a cheap card.
I think thats why there are some limitations on things that would seem so trivial to allow.
Apps are another. Yes they are strict and it feels like parental controls. But how many times have we seen a crappy App cause some really weird issues only for the actual phone to get the blame.
I speak of Android here, I've seen that.
I have no experience of this with Apple.

SurferMan
Dec 30, 2011, 12:28 PM
I think iphone users who are more informed see features on android they would like but they're still only a small percentage of apple users.

i asked 3 of my iphone owning friends if they would like widgets and all of them said "what are widgets?".Yeh believe me I have plenty of iPhone friends who don't even know how to use iTunes, never update, or even just personalize settings on the phone lol. I mean my sister the other day, I asked her if she updated her 4 to iOS5, she goes "what's iOS5??" ... she had no clue what I was talking about when I asked her if she ever updated her phone, and she's had three 4's.

"I" personally cant see how being able to do so would cause any kind of issues with the iPhone, but they must have a reason. Anyone with higher knowledge on iOS UI care to speculate.:confused:Don't think there's any reason, Apple does things that make sense, and other's that make absolutely no sense even on their other products like my MBP lol.

For example even their folder system, they finally bring folders out over a year ago, yet they still limit you to 12 apps per folder and no folders in a folder, to me, that's pointless. With FolderEnchancer running, I can put as many app's as I want in any folder, and make folders in a folder. Which is great for when I had a lot of business and other related apps to keep organized but especially for games. When you clicked the game folder, it opened up to other folders categorized (like action, puzzles, strategy, racing, shooting etc).

xTRIGGER092x
Dec 30, 2011, 12:38 PM

Oh, I know, but a guy can dream.

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 12:48 PM

i asked 3 of my iphone owning friends if they would like widgets and all of them said "what are widgets?".

And for the most part, that's probably because they've never felt the need for them.
I mean really, most of them are just something new to look at on the page. We have clocks and date already. The iPhone comes with Weather stuff.
So with a few exceptions, they are just new crap for people to be enamored with for a short while.

I work with 4 people who have iPhone's and their wives have Android phones. They tell me all the time, I sit and play with her phone, and I wanna like it, it has a big screen, but after a minute, I start disliking the actual phone, the whole user experience, the little things that make it fun to use.
They say I wanna like it, I try to like it all the time. But it just never pans out.
Of those for instance we were at a restaurant one night, Mexican to be exact. A nice little tune came on and someone said, I wonder who that is.
Well, one friend whipped his iPhone 4 out, called up Sound Hound, and in 5 seconds had Artist and Song.....just from table.
His wife pulled out her HTC EVO and tried it and it wouldn't load Sound Hound first. The when it did load it wouldn't find song. My Fascinate wouldn't either.
If I got up and went closer to speaker, it did, but all 3 iPhone users at table worked just fine without moving.
One of the coworkers wife this Christmas made the switch from Android to iPhone 4 when he upgraded his 3gs.
Now the HTC user is considering. She bought that phone btw over iPhone originally because it was 4g. Which she complains that its more useless than it is useful.
That will be the case for some time until everything is sorted out.
Which may be why Apple hasn't been in to big a hurry to release a 4g iPhone just yet. I think they actually want user experience to be good when they do it.
One thing for sure is first impressions are hard to overcome. And I have a few friends that have had bad impressions of 4g so far. When its up and working, its lightening fast, buts its sluggish and unstable more than its right.
I think Apple wants to be sure the first impression is good. And it cheeeews battery unbelievably. Maybe they also want to work on a newer battery to help offset some 4g pull.
Who knows, Im just trying to give benefit of doubt:)

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yeh believe me I have plenty of iPhone friends who don't even know how to use iTunes, never update, or even just personalize settings on the phone lol. I mean my sister the other day, I asked her if she updated her 4 to iOS5, she goes "what's iOS5??" ... she had no clue what I was talking about when I asked her if she ever updated her phone, and she's had three 4's.
Don't think there's any reason, Apple does things that make sense, and other's that make absolutely no sense even on their other products like my MBP lol.

For example even their folder system, they finally bring folders out over a year ago, yet they still limit you to 12 apps per folder and no folders in a folder, to me, that's pointless. With FolderEnchancer running, I can put as many app's as I want in any folder, and make folders in a folder. Which is great for when I had a lot of business and other related apps to keep organized but especially for games. When you clicked the game folder, it opened up to other folders categorized (like action, puzzles, strategy, racing, shooting etc).

Yeah, I can see that. But Ive worked in the Automotive Man. industry for some time years ago and I can tell you. When we thought there was a very stupid reason for doing something, that particular engineer would then explain why and it made total sense.
Like, sometimes there was a limitation in one area that made no sense.
But when explained it was more if they did that, then x y and z would be greatly effected and x y z took more precedence over say the simple folder thing......according to those who make the final decisions.....i.e Steve Jobs.
Which they are usually driven by overall consumer reports and they represent a vast majority of people who don't care about things you and I care about.....or most here in these forums care about.
See, there's a lot of iPhone users that have never even heard of a Forum.....they just use their phones and deal directly with Apple.
One thing for example that drove me crazy at Mercedes. On the M Class which is what we built, if I set the a/c to be on recirculate for max cooling in summer, after I shut the vehicle off and restarted, it always went back to fresh.
Oh my god they annoyed me. I set it to recirc. LEAVE IT THERE.

Well, when I was in a meeting with VP engineering, I made that very argument.
I was told, they have so many reports from consumers that complain about stale air upon entrance, they decided to always start with fresh air which eliminated stale odors on the evaporator core. They never one time had a complaint about it switching over to fresh, but thousands about stale air smell.
So while I would be very annoyed, they didn't care, it was driven by hard data on paper by average target consumer groups.
So while us tech guys mess with stuff like this, the majority of consumers never even pushed that button, they set temp and let vehicle manage it.
In which it did a very good job. If needed, it would switch itself to recirc at that point.

Things aren't always as they appear....I guess that's why I'm more tolerable to these things, Ive been there and seen it.
Id bet there are meetings and groups at Apple that go exactly like I stated and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff they are dealing with and how affects decisions we think are so very simple.

And BTW, I'm sorry but what is MBP.....i see it all over:o

verwon
Dec 30, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I can see that. But Ive worked in the Automotive Man. industry for some time years ago and I can tell you. When we thought there was a very stupid reason for doing something, that particular engineer would then explain why and it made total sense.
Like, sometimes there was a limitation in one area that made no sense.
But when explained it was more if they did that, then x y and z would be greatly effected and x y z took more precedence over say the simple folder thing......according to those who make the final decisions.....i.e Steve Jobs.
Which they are usually driven by overall consumer reports and they represent a vast majority of people who don't care about things you and I care about.....or most here in these forums care about.
See, there's a lot of iPhone users that have never even heard of a Forum.....they just use their phones and deal directly with Apple.
One thing for example that drove me crazy at Mercedes. On the M Class which is what we built, if I set the a/c to be on recirculate for max cooling in summer, after I shut the vehicle off and restarted, it always went back to fresh.
Oh my god they annoyed me. I set it to recirc. LEAVE IT THERE.

Well, when I was in a meeting with VP engineering, I made that very argument.
I was told, they have so many reports from consumers that complain about stale air upon entrance, they decided to always start with fresh air which eliminated stale odors on the evaporator core. They never one time had a complaint about it switching over to fresh, but thousands about stale air smell.
So while I would be very annoyed, they didn't care, it was driven by hard data on paper by average target consumer groups.
So while us tech guys mess with stuff like this, the majority of consumers never even pushed that button, they set temp and let vehicle manage it.
In which it did a very good job. If needed, it would switch itself to recirc at that point.

Things aren't always as they appear....I guess that's why I'm more tolerable to these things, Ive been there and seen it.
Id bet there are meetings and groups at Apple that go exactly like I stated and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff they are dealing with and how affects decisions we think are so very simple.

And BTW, I'm sorry but what is MBP.....i see it all over:o

MacBook Pro

mmmtastybusch
Dec 30, 2011, 01:41 PM

I don't get it either. It's almost like they really really want an iPhone, but just can't bring themselves to buy one. Why are some so lustful and hopeful over a product they will never buy?

Maybe we love the build quality of Apple products, and the stable, polished look and feel of iOS, but feel it lacks some features that we would enjoy having? :)

Photogdave
Dec 30, 2011, 01:45 PM
MacBook Pro

hahaha, Duh.:o

I should have got that. I guess I was thinking of phone.

map1978
Dec 30, 2011, 03:39 PM

----------

OK, I see. Well, its not that big a deal for me, but if that's a must for some, so be it.

"I" personally cant see how being able to do so would cause any kind of issues with the iPhone, but they must have a reason. Anyone with higher knowledge on iOS UI care to speculate.:confused:

from a UI stand point, it's quite simple

see, you can put icons to one side, for a wallpaper

also, apple would bank if they just created a theme store already..main reason I have JB in the past

miss this SB I was using on the 4 :mad:

sentinelsx
Dec 30, 2011, 11:57 PM
If anything people should first push for a pin input based Simlock for iOS devices. Sure one could buy an unlocked iPhone, but if i buy a locked SGS2LTE, i can unlock and use it anywhere in a matter of days after being introduced. My carrier still gets the money from me and in the case of leaving the contract a nice fat ETF dough, i don't get why Apple needs the iTunes based lock system.

That really pisses me sometimes.

GadgetJunkyChic
Dec 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
I know almost nothing about jailbreaking but I am considering getting in the game but since I have no experience I am reluctant and don't want to mess up my phone. I can't right now anyway, not until they release a jailbreak for the 4S

I'm in the same boat.....I'm green to jailbreaking....I would need to research more and wait for 4S release.

wordoflife
Dec 31, 2011, 12:21 AM
Automatic configurable sound profiles. For example, I want my phone to automatically mute itself when it's 7:00-11:30, then I want it audible in 11:30-12:30, then mute again until Evening ...for example

Not really that big of a deal, but it would be nice.

GadgetJunkyChic
Dec 31, 2011, 12:41 AM
This is how I use widgets on android...

Lock screen:

Image (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/SC20111025-204424.png)

Main home screen:

Image (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/2011-10-25205458.jpg)

Some may say that looks cluttered, but it has everything I need most often right on the screen. I put the spotify widget on the lock screen so I can change tracks without unlocking the phone. The SMS/calls/gmail bits light up when I have a new message/call/email and I can tap to go straight to the app.

The little square icons that I've blurred out automatically call/text my favourite contacts when tapped. The large calendar widget has another view which lets you see your agenda for the day (one of those buttons switches between the views).

A lot of the time I don't actually need to leave my home screen to do things!

I can see your points. The widgets (shortcuts) put everything you regularly use at your finger tips. I previously owned two android phones before changing to my IPhone 4S. I miss certain things about android phones...being able to customize the screens to fit my personality. I used widgets too...such as the agenda view for calendar.

----------

i think it provides for an increased level of functionality. I think anytime you are able to put the things that are most important to you in a place that makes it readily available, adds a level of functionality and convenience.

ita

GadgetJunkyChic
Dec 31, 2011, 01:04 AM
Maybe we love the build quality of Apple products, and the stable, polished look and feel of iOS, but feel it lacks some features that we would enjoy having? :)

You hit the nail on the head. I would never go back to android but I'm honest enough to admit there are certain features I would like to have on my IPhone. IJS;)

riotgeek
Dec 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
The only thing that I have on my Android phone that I'd want on my iPhone would be the Swype feature. The "tap individual keys" thing on the iPhone can be a tiny bit annoying sometimes. Having said that, I just want to get a new iPhone so I can ditch the crappy prepaid Android I currently have (that's going bad after less than a year of service). :(

Photogdave
Dec 31, 2011, 05:10 PM
The only thing that I have on my Android phone that I'd want on my iPhone would be the Swype feature. The "tap individual keys" thing on the iPhone can be a tiny bit annoying sometimes. Having said that, I just want to get a new iPhone so I can ditch the crappy prepaid Android I currently have (that's going bad after less than a year of service). :(

I hear ya. I got tired of mine(wasn't prepaid) and bought the 4s.....couldn't be happier.

But I can say this....I do miss the swype. I had gotten quite good at it and it was fast.
But, the keyboard accuracy on iPhone is real good and the voice text is extremely accurate.....in which the Android phone wasn't.
So I lost one feature, but gained another.

YMark
Dec 31, 2011, 06:21 PM

But I can say this....I do miss the swype. I had gotten quite good at it and it was fast.
But, the keyboard accuracy on iPhone is real good and the voice text is extremely accurate.....in which the Android phone wasn't.
So I lost one feature, but gained another.

I'm dumping my Vibrant POS for a 4S next month. I do like Swype, and I'm sure I'll miss that. Won't miss much else though, except having my daily appointments on my home screen.

Anyway, are there any other keyboard apps that can be used on the iPhone, such as Swiftkey? Or is it the stock IOS keyboard or nothing?

Photogdave
Dec 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
I'm dumping my Vibrant POS for a 4S next month. I do like Swype, and I'm sure I'll miss that. Won't miss much else though, except having my daily appointments on my home screen.

Anyway, are there any other keyboard apps that can be used on the iPhone, such as Swiftkey? Or is it the stock IOS keyboard or nothing?

Yeah I know about the daily appointments LOL. I had a Widget called Simple 13 I think and it laid my week out right on the screen. It was synced with my calendar, which I add my jobs for the day via PDF.

But....BUT, as I thought Id really miss it....I haven't.
The calendar from Apple is right on the screen, and in that I have it set to list view and so really its laid out just as it was before.....actually more useful because I can scroll with the calendar, couldn't with widget.

So before, I unlocked screen, swiped left for screen with agenda. Now I just click calendar button......really no different.
I just hated having to navigate through 3 folders to open a PDF for my schedule. Because Android wouldn't let us add that folder to home screen.
people complain so much about Apple wont let us do things so so simple......well I'm here to tell ya, Android too.
They gave us folders....but we cant put them where we want LOL.

As for Keyboard. I couldn't tell ya. Maybe some others here that are Apple veterans can, I'm new, this is my first Apple product.
I wish Apple had swype, but im getting used to not having it.
I catch myself just wanting to trace the word out.....
I hear you can add different keyboards, but I don't know how and really haven't wanted to chance messing anything up.
And I'm afraid it wont function well with the iOS.....because it wasn't put in by Apple
If I'm in a hurry, I fire up Siri or just dictate in the message window and its very good.

thenerdal
Dec 31, 2011, 08:24 PM
I want expandable storage. :(

Photogdave
Dec 31, 2011, 08:48 PM

Well, having had several Micro card issues, I see why they dont.
The Fascinate's factory card 16g Class 2 card was too slow for bigger files.
I bought a Class 10 PNY....it crashed and I lost everything....never PNY again.
So I see their reason for internal only.
I wish they'd just offer the 32 at the price of 16 and allow 64gb for upgrade if you want.
You'd spend $100 for a good, name brand high end class 10 32gb card to add on to get to 64......and even then, at Class 10, it still wouldn't be as fast as internal.
So, I don't know, its a big deal to some, but Ive weighed the differences and its no big deal to me.
I bought the 16GB.....only because the 32 wasn't available for another month. I looked at the price difference....$100. Well the Class 10 high end micros were $60. So for $100, Id get 32 and way faster. But they didnt have one.
And I wanted out from under my Android BAD. I had no issue with 16 before, so I'll live with it now.

thenerdal
Dec 31, 2011, 09:01 PM
I wish they'd just offer the 32 at the price of 16 and allow 64gb for upgrade if you want.
You'd spend $100 for a good, name brand high end class 10 32gb card to add on to get to 64......and even then, at Class 10, it still wouldn't be as fast as internal.
So, I don't know, its a big deal to some, but Ive weighed the differences and its no big deal to me.
I bought the 16GB.....only because the 32 wasn't available for another month. I looked at the price difference....$100. Well the Class 10 high end micros were $60. So for $100, Id get 32 and way faster. But they didnt have one.
And I wanted out from under my Android BAD. I had no issue with 16 before, so I'll live with it now.

Well, that only happened to one device you had. So it could've been defected or something.

Carl Sagan
Jan 1, 2012, 09:35 AM

Expandable storage makes as much sense these days as having a floppy disc drive...

Photogdave
Jan 1, 2012, 11:53 AM
Well, that only happened to one device you had. So it could've been defected or something.

Maybe, but really it was more than one.
The factory card really doesn't cut it. Yes it works.....but the user experience
is bad. You can feel it when going through picture gallery, deleting etc.
Its slow and you can feel the bottle neck.
So knowing this(I'm a photographer) and how cards work etc, I went to Best Buy and bought the best card they had, a PNY 16G Class 10
Yes, the speed was better. But about a month in, I tried to access a PDF and got an error message card unavailable, needed to be formatted for use.
That card never worked again.

On one of the other Android phones I tried to replace the fascinate with, also I noticed the card just wasn't up to snuff.
I never bought another card for it, due to other non related issues, I was returning it anyway because I didn't like it, too many other issues.

Point being, the Micro card is NOT ideal due to size, but rather a necessary evil for expandable storage wanted buy users. All 16gb storage is NOT created equal.
And Micro cards, while great for size, they're not ideal for many situations.

So yes you are right in that, I had one device while trying different cards, I noticed it in others too. It will work, but not great.
And that's where Apple wont give go ahead. Internal is always better for long term, strenuous use.
As a photographer. Id never work off a USB2.0 external HD for editing large images.
Yes I use one....but for storage and things not accessed very often.
For things Im gonna access a lot, and need to edit, I always work with in the internal HD, its much faster and stable.

And there's really not a great work around for it. I later went on to do a lot of research on Class 10 cards, knowing how rare it is for flash cards to fail....IT IS RARE.
But what I found was many research has shown that the Class 10 cards have high failure rates due to stress and work requests on such a card.
So its like a race car......running an engine on the extreme edge of performance will work to benefit, but not practical for long term use.

Its these little things that add up to make Apple products like iPhone, MB, iMacs feel so much better than other devices.

mrochester
Jan 1, 2012, 11:57 AM
Maybe, but really it was more than one.
The factory card really doesn't cut it. Yes it works.....but the user experience
is bad. You can feel it when going through picture gallery, deleting etc.
Its slow and you can feel the bottle neck.
So knowing this(I'm a photographer) and how cards work etc, I went to Best Buy and bought the best card they had, a PNY 16G Class 10
Yes, the speed was better. But about a month in, I tried to access a PDF and got an error message card unavailable, needed to be formatted for use.
That card never worked again.

On one of the other Android phones I tried to replace the fascinate with, also I noticed the card just wasn't up to snuff.
I never bought another card for it, due to other non related issues, I was returning it anyway because I didn't like it, too many other issues.

Point being, the Micro card is NOT ideal due to size, but rather a necessary evil for expandable storage wanted buy users. All 16gb storage is NOT created equal.
And Micro cards, while great for size, they're not ideal for many situations.

So yes you are right in that, I had one device while trying different cards, I noticed it in others too. It will work, but not great.
And that's where Apple wont give go ahead. Internal is always better for long term, strenuous use.
As a photographer. Id never work off a USB2.0 external HD for editing large images.
Yes I use one....but for storage and things not accessed very often.
For things Im gonna access a lot, and need to edit, I always work with in the internal HD, its much faster and stable.

And there's really not a great work around for it. I later went on to do a lot of research on Class 10 cards, knowing how rare it is for flash cards to fail....IT IS RARE.
But what I found was many research has shown that the Class 10 cards have high failure rates due to stress and work requests on such a card.
So its like a race car......running an engine on the extreme edge of performance will work to benefit, but not practical for long term use.

Its these little things that add up to make Apple products like iPhone, MB, iMacs feel so much better than other devices.

I too have suffered from a corrupted micro SD card in an Android phone. It was randomly after a reboot that it failed. It took some doing to get it working again. The guys over at The Phones Show Chat occasionally comment on how Android devices sometimes corrupt memory cards so it seems to be a bit of an issue. I guess coupled with speed and piracy concerns, this is precisely why Apple don't have removable storage in the iPhone.

Photogdave
Jan 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
I too have suffered from a corrupted micro SD card in an Android phone. It was randomly after a reboot that it failed. It took some doing to get it working again. The guys over at The Phones Show Chat occasionally comment on how Android devices sometimes corrupt memory cards so it seems to be a bit of an issue. I guess coupled with speed and piracy concerns, this is precisely why Apple don't have removable storage in the iPhone.

I always attributed it to quality and speed.
But many like you have mentioned piracy here in the forums
Whats the deal with the piracy stuff. I remember years ago Steve Jobs taking a stand on it.
But I'm not sure I understand how the internal storage vs removable stops this?
Is it something in iTunes etc.......Im very new to how Apple and iTunes

mrochester
Jan 1, 2012, 12:09 PM
I always attributed it to quality and speed.
But many like you have mentioned piracy here in the forums
Whats the deal with the piracy stuff. I remember years ago Steve Jobs taking a stand on it.
But I'm not sure I understand how the internal storage vs removable stops this?
Is it something in iTunes etc.......Im very new to how Apple and iTunes

I think it's probably less of a concern now given that all iTunes music is now DRM free. I'd say that speed and reliability are probably the two biggest factors now.

Photogdave
Jan 1, 2012, 12:22 PM
I think it's probably less of a concern now given that all iTunes music is now DRM free. I'd say that speed and reliability are probably the two biggest factors now.

I didn't know they were DRM free now.
So let me understand. Originally, iTunes used DRM and this was what all my friends complained about that when they bought music from iTunes, it was only available on that device. They really didn't buy a physical copy of the song, but rather the rights to play it on there device synced with iTunes....correct.
Example: it didn't download on the PC as a mp3 file that could then be accessed and copied to any device.....essentially uncontrollable by owner.

But now DRM free, once I buy that song per se, its mine and I could also put it on my mp3 player, other computers in house etc?

mrochester
Jan 1, 2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't know they were DRM free now.
So let me understand. Originally, iTunes used DRM and this was what all my friends complained about that when they bought music from iTunes, it was only available on that device. They really didn't buy a physical copy of the song, but rather the rights to play it on there device synced with iTunes....correct.
Example: it didn't download on the PC as a mp3 file that could then be accessed and copied to any device.....essentially uncontrollable by owner.

But now DRM free, once I buy that song per se, its mine and I could also put it on my mp3 player, other computers in house etc?

Yep, Apple eventually managed to wangle a deal with the music labels to offer the full catalogue DRM free. You can do whatever you like with the music once you've paid for it. Although of course, you're only supposed to use it for your own personal use and not give it to anyone else.

Photogdave
Jan 1, 2012, 12:33 PM
Yep, Apple eventually managed to wangle a deal with the music labels to offer the full catalogue DRM free. You can do whatever you like with the music once you've paid for it. Although of course, you're only supposed to use it for your own person use and not give it to anyone else.

Cool, I thought that's the way it was now.
And should be.
Im slowly getting the iTunes/Apple thing now.
Leave it up to me to be responsible with what I do with the music.
I bought the song, but if I go around selling it in Gas Stations to people, then the Artist can deal with me directly.
But now Im ok to put it on all my devices.

phpmaven
Jan 1, 2012, 07:52 PM
Native integrated sat nav app like google navigation.

probably need their own map app to do this though.

+1

I love how on my Galaxy S2 I can just say "Navigate to 123 Main Street" and boom, it launches full turn by turn voice directions in Google Maps. That's something missing from IOS that makes Siri much less useful than it could be.

matttye
Jan 2, 2012, 07:43 AM

Classes represent minimum read and write speed, not maximum, so a class two could beat a class ten. I read lots of reviews and eventually bought a Samsung Ultra class 4 8GB card. I get 16MB/s read and write with this thing, very fast.

I'd never pay for a class ten when lower classes outdo them a lot of the time.

----------

+1

I love how on my Galaxy S2 I can just say "Navigate to 123 Main Street" and boom, it launches full turn by turn voice directions in Google Maps. That's something missing from IOS that makes Siri much less useful than it could be.

I just wish it had offline mapping. Im not sure why, but 3G speeds seem to be slower than Edge on my sgs2. Hsdpa is plenty fast enough.

But yeah, I prefer google navigation to my tomtom and having it connected to the Internet and integrated with the phone and apps is incredibly useful :D

nfl46
Jan 2, 2012, 08:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Free Google Maps with turn by turn. This would be awesome for the iPhone.

Photogdave
Jan 2, 2012, 09:32 AM
Classes represent minimum read and write speed, not maximum, so a class two could beat a class ten. I read lots of reviews and eventually bought a Samsung Ultra class 4 8GB card. I get 16MB/s read and write with this thing, very fast.

I'd never pay for a class ten when lower classes outdo them a lot of the time.

Yes, I understand that. But clearly Class 10's are designed for more data transfer and faster.
Class 10 cards are faster than Class 2. So that's why I bought class 10. It was faster, but because they are pushed to extremes, they aren't as reliable as lower class cards.
In no way is a class 2 card supposed to be faster than a Class 10, unless the company making the card falsified its rating, at that point there is nothing we can do. Other than buying different brands.
Im making these numbers up, I dont know the exact numbers, but for simplification purposes....
If a Class 2 is supposed to be 2MB/s "minimum" supported, but can beat a Class 10 in speed, which should be 10MB/s "minimum" supported.
Then why wouldn't it be rated at a higher class for more $$$.
If its able to write at 10MB/s, then it can support a higher minimum than its rated 2. Doesnt make sense
Its rated a Class 2 because it doesn't have the capability of supporting the "minimum" data write speeds for said device.
So the argument of faster supported speeds than a Class 10 card isn't logical.

Source for Class ratings
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/speed_class/
I cant control if the company rated it Class 10 when its a 2.
But a real Class 10 card will beat a Class 2 every time.
I experienced a nice speed increase when I upgraded. I just didn't know at the time that the faster Class 10 cards had a reputation for higher failure due to being pushed to extreme.
Many sites had done tests and all reported a noted increase in failure of these extreme Class 10 cards.
They all reported yes faster, but chance of failure a good be higher.
I should have researched that part before purchasing. If I had, I may have bought Sandisk Class 8 or something that had notable speed increase but great reliability too.
I never skimp on flash cards. I try to buy best available. Becasue of what I do for a living, Ive seen the difference in cheap cards vs good high end cards such as Sandisk and Lexar.
Best Buy doesn't sell a Sandisk Class 10 or Lexar. PNY was it.

But my main argument is, Apple doesn't want to deal with any of that garbage. That's a Standard they cant control to ensure reliability and great speed for everyone.
So they don't. They keep it internal....which without a doubt is the best way.
Why the need for expandable storage....Just buy the bigger storage phone and dont worry about it.
You cant buy a 32gb micro sd card with the quality and speed of their internal 32 for $100.
I just don't see the point.

----------

Expandable storage makes as much sense these days as having a floppy disc drive...

Agree.
Where's the Screen Name from. Must be heavy into Astronomy.:)
Noticed it this am. Kept thinking......wait a minute, I know who that is.
Didnt he die in the later 90's?

matttye
Jan 2, 2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, I understand that. But clearly Class 10's are designed for more data transfer and faster.
Class 10 cards are faster than Class 2. So that's why I bought class 10. It was faster, but because they are pushed to extremes, they aren't as reliable as lower class cards.
In no way is a class 2 card supposed to be faster than a Class 10, unless the company making the card falsified its rating, at that point there is nothing we can do. Other than buying different brands.
Im making these numbers up, I dont know the exact numbers, but for simplification purposes....
If a Class 2 is supposed to be 2MB/s "minimum" supported, but can beat a Class 10 in speed, which should be 10MB/s "minimum" supported.
Then why wouldn't it be rated at a higher class for more $$$.
If its able to write at 10MB/s, then it can support a higher minimum than its rated 2. Doesnt make sense
Its rated a Class 2 because it doesn't have the capability of supporting the "minimum" data write speeds for said device.
So the argument of faster supported speeds than a Class 10 card isn't logical.

Source for Class ratings
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/speed_class/
I cant control if the company rated it Class 10 when its a 2.
But a real Class 10 card will beat a Class 2 every time.
I experienced a nice speed increase when I upgraded. I just didn't know at the time that the faster Class 10 cards had a reputation for higher failure due to being pushed to extreme.
Many sites had done tests and all reported a noted increase in failure of these extreme Class 10 cards.
They all reported yes faster, but chance of failure a good be higher.
I should have researched that part before purchasing. If I had, I may have bought Sandisk Class 8 or something that had notable speed increase but great reliability too.
I never skimp on flash cards. I try to buy best available. Becasue of what I do for a living, Ive seen the difference in cheap cards vs good high end cards such as Sandisk and Lexar.
Best Buy doesn't sell a Sandisk Class 10 or Lexar. PNY was it.

But my main argument is, Apple doesn't want to deal with any of that garbage. That's a Standard they cant control to ensure reliability and great speed for everyone.
So they don't. They keep it internal....which without a doubt is the best way.
Why the need for expandable storage....Just buy the bigger storage phone and dont worry about it.
You cant buy a 32gb micro sd card with the quality and speed of their internal 32 for $100.
I just don't see the point.

It's probably because they can't support the minimum read/write speed for sustained periods of time. A lot of things can burst transfer and then slow down as time goes on. I don't know this for sure, but theres obviously a reason why a class 4 card that can read and write at 16MBps is still a class 4. What would be the point in a class 4 calling itself a class 4 if it could call itself a class 10? There's clearly a reason.

dccorona
Jan 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
Some good ideas in some of these. However, as for these 3...

Long presses on keys bring up alternate versions of that letter. It would be nice to have it extended to numbers, though, for those who don't need foreign symbols

typing into the google search bar brings up a "find on page" option towards the bottom of the list that appears when typing

Apple won't allow this because they don't want you to be able to get the music files off an iPhone and onto your computer (for example, from a friends phone). This may be a constraint put on them by record companies...who knows. It would be nice to be able to use the iPhone as a flash drive however

dontwalkhand
Jan 2, 2012, 11:56 AM
Apple won't allow this because they don't want you to be able to get the music files off an iPhone and onto your computer (for example, from a friends phone). This may be a constraint put on them by record companies...who knows. It would be nice to be able to use the iPhone as a flash drive however

There is an option to "Transfer Purchases" but that only applies to what was PURCHASED from Apple on the phone, rather than What you have put on there yourself. For that, there is always iRip and Senuti for Mac :)

stickybuns
Jan 2, 2012, 12:01 PM

Third party software exists that will allow you to transfer files. I had a hard drive fail on me a couple years back and was able to use one of these programs (sorry, I have forgotten the name) to recover my music files from my iPod Touch.

Of course, it was even easier waaaaay back when you could put your iPod into "disk mode" and directly work with the individual files.

ETA: Senuti! That's what I used.

sentinelsx
Jan 2, 2012, 12:14 PM

Not an "android feature".

dccorona
Jan 3, 2012, 03:10 PM
Third party software exists that will allow you to transfer files. I had a hard drive fail on me a couple years back and was able to use one of these programs (sorry, I have forgotten the name) to recover my music files from my iPod Touch.

Of course, it was even easier waaaaay back when you could put your iPod into "disk mode" and directly work with the individual files.

ETA: Senuti! That's what I used.

well yes, I'm aware of that. But my point is its not something Apple would ever allow natively

wikus
Nov 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
It took Apple two decades to have a two button mouse. Apple's either too stubborn or too stupid to care about consumer wants.

iOS is a gimped Android OS.

onthecouchagain
Dec 22, 2012, 01:49 AM
Mother of god... Apple, please add this! :eek:

J4Q_97exnJk#!

Why is the jailbreak community figuring out a better iOS so much faster than Apple?

F123D
Dec 22, 2012, 02:28 AM
If apple didn't make it so damn difficult to jailbreak an iPhone, I'd probably still be using one right now. I've just lost my patience of waiting and having to deal with updating/upgrading and having to use stock iOS that it's not worth the hassle anymore. Three months in and no sign of a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

Fed
Dec 22, 2012, 03:18 AM
FILE MANAGER. Less crapTunes.

markg61326
Dec 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
If apple didn't make it so damn difficult to jailbreak an iPhone, I'd probably still be using one right now. I've just lost my patience of waiting and having to deal with updating/upgrading and having to use stock iOS that it's not worth the hassle anymore. Three months in and no sign of a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

100% agree with this. With a jailbroken iPhone I can customize it to do all the things I need in a device. Stock iOS is just too limited and I lost patience waiting for a jailbreak for the iPhone5 and just ended up getting rid of it.

b166er
Dec 22, 2012, 09:56 PM
I think that iOS would/could be infinitely better if apple would simply ease some restrictions on the developers. Make some more areas of the OS accessible. Really it's the tweaks that I feel makes android good.

I realize android is more open to attack but there is no reason apple couldn't allow devs some more territory and still screen the apps to determin they are not harmful. Honestly I think apple is too cheap to pay out for the extra screeners.

Beeplance
Dec 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
I think that iOS would/could be infinitely better if apple would simply ease some restrictions on the developers. Make some more areas of the OS accessible. Really it's the tweaks that I feel makes android good.

I realize android is more open to attack but there is no reason apple couldn't allow devs some more territory and still screen the apps to determin they are not harmful. Honestly I think apple is too cheap to pay out for the extra screeners.

Sometimes I think the openness of the OS itself is what differentiates iOS from Android.

However, I think Apple really needs to do this to keep up though.

zbarvian
Dec 23, 2012, 01:26 AM
Mother of god... Apple, please add this! :eek:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=J4Q_97exnJk#!)

Why is the jailbreak community figuring out a better iOS so much faster than Apple?

I think what's bothersome to me is that these tweaks are so obvious and would be so simple for Apple to implement. For some reason, they are very resistant to change.

But to be fair, the Android community often figures things out quicker than Google (JIT, Quick Toggles, Swype, Lockscreen widgets, multitouch).