Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royalgfx1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Hello all,

I recently have stumbled across something that I have never seen. It's a Black Macintosh Plus 1MB (according to the unscathed back), and a Google search shows that these things don't exist at all.

http://i39.tinypic.com/xpwiac.jpg - sorry about the rotation.

A bit more research led me to this Wired article about an illusive "top-secret, one-of-a-kind", but I highly doubt my luck would be this amazing.

Now, going further, a website some of you may know RetroMacCast do a podcast on Apple culture, and they have photos of this Black Mac, http://www.flickr.com/photos/retromaccast/2443074278/. That Mac plus' case looks hand painted, where as the one I have here is definitely factory done.

I can't figure this one out. What is this machine!?!?

royalgfx1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Really? This really doesn't seem like a Hackintosh job, the level of detail is amazing, and it looks authentic as all hell. I can't even admit this is a hackintosh, because it's that amazing.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Even if Apple had created some black Macintosh's for some reason, they wouldn't have called it a BlackMac. Even the second photo of a different one is clearly a repaint.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Have you actually seen this in person? Because there's nothing in that picture to convince me that it's 100% authentic.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
The graphics are not Apple, too clumsy. Nice item though, crack it open and see what is inside, might give you some further info.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Yep looks like a very well done spray paint job, the 'BlackMac++' is a ridiculous name for 1. and 2. it's too clumsy and big and brash. It's pretty nice although it does look at little like a cheapy CRT TV from the 90's... :rolleyes:

Just food for thought. Didn't the Brazilians make unauthorised Macintosh clones? Maybe it might even be one of them?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
There are, however, some CLEAR CASE Macintosh SE's around, these were developer units given to Macintosh developers, and a few are floating around. These are genuine prototype/developer units and are collector's items. Very cool, I would love to have one of those.

Also, there is a clear case Macintosh Portable that is a prototype unit, those are EXTREMELY rare and worth over $5,000.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Really? This really doesn't seem like a Hackintosh job, the level of detail is amazing, and it looks authentic as all hell. I can't even admit this is a hackintosh, because it's that amazing.
Hardly. I could paint this up easily... If you have the right supplies, patience, a good eye and a steady hand, mods like this aren't difficult.

As other folks have said, cool nonetheless. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.