PDA

View Full Version : Updating to TIGER

machiker
Jun 2, 2005, 11:40 AM
I just got my update disk for Tiger. How should I update?

Update
Install & Archeive
Erase and Install

It's on my new 17" Powerbook, so I don't have much on the computer yet, just a few apps installed. Any help would be great.

besler3035
Jun 2, 2005, 12:20 PM
I just got my update disk for Tiger. How should I update?

Update
Install & Archeive
Erase and Install

It's on my new 17" Powerbook, so I don't have much on the computer yet, just a few apps installed. Any help would be great.

I, like you, didn't have too many apps or documents on my iBook when I installed Tiger. I chose the Erase & Install method, and within 20 minutes, it was done upgrading. No problems either.

yellow
Jun 2, 2005, 12:31 PM
Upgrade will probably work just fine for you, considering you're new to using Panther on this Mac.

However, I consider an Archive & Install to be greatest modicum between the "safest" method and the "easiest" method.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 2, 2005, 12:38 PM
Did an Archive and Install on my iBook. Which with a few adjustments workes just fine.

I had a couple of 3rd party Internet plug-ins which killed my Firefox after upgrading. After removing those (from ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins) everything works just fine. And Mail removes all old bundles after upgrading to 10.4.1, so I struggled a bit with my GPGMail.mailbundle. Actually, most 3rd party internet stuff is best to uninstall first, as many Safari enhancers also has been reported to mess with Safari after an Upgrade/Archive and Install. Remove those and you should be pretty safe.

Also: If you (Upgrade or) Archive and Install, remember to Repair Permissions before starting, just to reduce the chance for any boo-boos... ;)

andiwm2003
Jun 2, 2005, 01:42 PM
i updated from 10.3.8 to 10.4.1. i cloned my pb-harddisk to an external drive. then i ereased the pb-harddisk and installed tiger from scratch. reinstalling and updating all applications took most of the time. the mail and ical stuff i synced via .mac.

tiger is now faster and more stable than 10.3.7 and 10.3.8 ever where. not a single problem since the reinstall. i think it was worth the extra work. :)

TitanJeff
Jun 6, 2005, 03:25 PM
I've just received Tiger and am ready to load it on my Powerbook using 10.3.9. I'm feeling the need to back up the 32 GB of stuff on it in case of anything happening.

What do many here recommend that is fairly inexpensive to back up their info on? Also, any brave souls just run the installer and hold their breath?

yellow
Jun 7, 2005, 06:54 AM
Sounds like you don't have any sort of back up solution currently. That's insane. What happens when your hard drive dies? Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap external firewire drive and use it to back up to.

iSaint
Jun 7, 2005, 06:58 AM
With no means to back up (yes I'm getting a firewire harddrive soon) I did an upgrade on my iBook from 10.3.9. It's been a little over a month and I've had no problems whatsoever!!!

TitanJeff
Jun 7, 2005, 06:58 AM
Sounds like you don't have any sort of back up solution currently. That's insane. What happens when your hard drive dies? Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap external firewire drive and use it to back up to.
Currently, I back up various files on CD but you are right, I am in need of that cheap external. Any recommendations? Thanks.

yellow
Jun 7, 2005, 10:34 AM
I've always been partial to LaCie products for desktop backup solutions.
I also have a SmartDisk FireLite drive which is perfect for a laptop (it's small and light)
Also, it's probably cheaper to buy an enclosure and buy a hard drive. For that I would go with OWC (Other World Computing) (http://www.macsales.com) who has fantastic customer service and great prices for Mac items. Definitely go with firewire (or if you have a PC too, a dual firewire/USB2 enclosure), as Macs and USB2 don't work so well together.

TitanJeff
Jun 7, 2005, 11:43 AM
I've always been partial to LaCie products for desktop backup solutions.
I also have a SmartDisk FireLite drive which is perfect for a laptop (it's small and light)
Also, it's probably cheaper to buy an enclosure and buy a hard drive. For that I would go with OWC (Other World Computing) (http://www.macsales.com) who has fantastic customer service and great prices for Mac items. Definitely go with firewire (or if you have a PC too, a dual firewire/USB2 enclosure), as Macs and USB2 don't work so well together.

I appreciate your help and will check out OWC today.