Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digipeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Lots of old sVHS-c, sVHS and Digital 8 tapes were already converted by a professional to digital DV tapes that I imported into iMovie, mostly for colour corrections and assembling. Because of their age, there remain - of course - a lot of degrading colour artifacts: yellow, orange, pink, purple, and also sudden black frames among otherwise normal images on more recent tapes.

iMovie obviously can not cope with this, but will the 'Intuitive Colour Grading' tools of FCPX do the job thanks to its Content Auto-Analysis in 'Balance Color', or to 'Match Color' and the 'Color Board'? Or DaVinci Risolve Lite?

Especially of the black frames I have to get rid of, so I hope all frames can be restored to the correct colour values of the other images.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Try Neat Video to improve the noise. You can color correct your footage afterwards in any NLE.
A more complicated way'd be to export footage as an image sequence and fix frame by frame, pixel by pixel in Photoshop or GIMP.

Dropped frames have to be cut out.

digipeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Dropped frames have to be cut out.[/QUOTE]

Just for a good understanding, before any painstaking cutting dropped frames. By "black frames" I meant images turning to 'black & white', losing their normal colour for only a very short time: usually 1 to 5 frames, and less than one second. The most annoying is that it not only happens on the occasion of changing scenes, but mostly during movements of 'panning'.
By experience, cutting the frames produces only a slight hesitation in the movement, but stlll I hoped FCPX, DaVinci Risolve ('Lite' is free) or Adobe PE 10 would solve all this in an more easy way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.