Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Alright, I'm going to a theme park tomorrow, which will be all decorated up with christmas lights, little stands and everything, later in the evening there will also be fireworks!

Now I know a company that will let me rent a lens for a day or two, but I don't know which one to get!

I'm looking at two completely different lenses right now, Either the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, or the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM.

Which one will be the most useful, which one would you get considering my current equipment?

I currently own:
Canon 60d
18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS (kit lens)
50mm F1.8 II
100mm F2.8 USM Macro
Tripod and all that of course

Any advice and/or experiences would be awesome, thank you!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
10-22 easy choice.

You've already got a full body of lenses, but nothing wider than 18mm, although if it's low light, chances are you'll end up using the 50mm the most tbh, it'll produce the nicest results too with the slim DOF.

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
Considering your equipment and the place you are going to, the 10-22 is the obvious choice. But I myself would go with the 70-200 because I don't really like wides :rolleyes: But I'm weird.

Last edited:

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
That's a shame, was the layout not right for the wide?

not at all. Other than sticking my camera over the counter in stores and snagging a shot there, it was basically useless, I ended up using my kit lens almost the whole time.

edit: oh, I did get some goofy looking pictures of my girlfriend with it :)

edit 2: heres what i think was my best shot that day, well my most colorful shot anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 101

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
not at all. Other than sticking my camera over the counter in stores and snagging a shot there, it was basically useless, I ended up using my kit lens almost the whole time.

edit 2: heres what i think was my best shot that day, well my most colorful shot anyway.

Ahh that sucks :( well I guess you know for future reference, I figured as you said theme park you could get nice wides of all the lights on as a long exposure, but then I guess they might get funny about that and ask you to delete all your photos.

Thunderchicken

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
I know it's a bit late for giving you advice, any ways I would have gone with the 70-200mm since it's a faster lens with a f2.8 through the whole range. Which would allow you to shoot at a lower ISO, and faster shutter speed. Since you are shooting lights and the such and possibly in low light and might be able to get away with not having a tripod.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

Can you explain how the layout was not right for the wide?

I would have thought the wide would be really good. I went to winter wonderland last year in hyde park and with the 100mm, 50mm and 10-22mm I think I would have been sorted!

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010

for a second i thought your girlfriend was somewhere hidden in that picture kinda like finding waldo :D . btw i like the colors in that shot.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Can you explain how the layout was not right for the wide?

I would have thought the wide would be really good. I went to winter wonderland last year in hyde park and with the 100mm, 50mm and 10-22mm I think I would have been sorted!

There was just an overcast that day, turning everything dull and grey.
Also it'd been years since i had been there last, so I remembered it differently. I just couldn't find the perfect shot with it, there was always something wrong, destroyed lights, wires sticking out somewhere, bare patches of dirt.
Being new at photography, I'm not very experienced, and using the wide angle seemed harder for me.

for a second i thought your girlfriend was somewhere hidden in that picture kinda like finding waldo :D . btw i like the colors in that shot.

well actually she is, but you can't make out any more then a dark shadow, not even in the full res one on my computer.

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I would have suggested the long lens. I have the Canon 10-22 and I find it difficult to use. It is a different beast. For wide views I find it better to use something around 25 to 50mm and take a number of photos while panning and constructing a panorama.

A lot comes down to personal style. I like a long lens because it lets me get small details from a distance. These are often more personal because they are recognizable objects. Things like signs, pictures, people in costume, architectural details are nice to document.

Where I use the wide lens most is indoors trying to get a group photo where I can't back up enough to use a longer lens.

Next time you might consider the Canon 70-300mm L lens. It is not as fast but it weighs less making it easier to carry and is physically smaller making it easier to maneuver when walking around. I rented one for a week. The image stabilization is amazing. Between that and pushing the ISO up a little you can get some nice shots with moderate lighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.