PDA

View Full Version : What's your average FPS during Blu-ray rip to Apple TV 2 in Handbrake?

paulisme
Dec 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm just curious as to what FPS folks are getting when converting a Blu-ray-sourced MKV file using the Apple TV 2 preset in Handbrake. I'm getting anywhere from 17 to 22 FPS depending on what else I'm using my computer for at the time. I do have the decomb switch set, so that may be slowing me down a bit.

bp1000
Dec 28, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure if bd differ from DVD but my DVDs are typically averaging 45 fps, some go as high as 60 fps

That's apple tv 2 preset with an rf of 19.

I find that the fps depends on the disc and even perfect looking DVDs in a boxset can vary, some rip twice as fast as others.

//
Sorry re read it and you are interested in MKV conversion so the above probably isn't helpful at all. I will leave it anyway

KevinC867
Dec 30, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'm just curious as to what FPS folks are getting when converting a Blu-ray-sourced MKV file using the Apple TV 2 preset in Handbrake. I'm getting anywhere from 17 to 22 FPS depending on what else I'm using my computer for at the time. I do have the decomb switch set, so that may be slowing me down a bit.

Decomb will slow HandBrake down a bit, and there is probably no need for it with any material from a Blu-ray.

I don't have my FPS info handy right now, but my Blu-ray to 720p m4v transcodes usually run at about real time (90 minutes for a 90 minute movie) on my quad core, 3 GHz Athlon-II "compute server". DVD conversions usually go at about 2X real time for me. (Both with unmodified AppleTV 2 preset.)

What kind of machine are you running the transcodes on and how long do they take to complete?

rayward
Dec 30, 2011, 09:37 AM
Decomb will slow HandBrake down a bit, and there is probably no need for it with any material from a Blu-ray.

Right. Blu Rays and most modern (non-TV show) DVDs are not interlaced, so no decombing is required.

I don't have my FPS info handy right now, but my Blu-ray to 720p m4v transcodes usually run at about real time (90 minutes for a 90 minute movie) on my quad core, 3 GHz Athlon-II "compute server". DVD conversions usually go at about 2X real time for me. (Both with unmodified AppleTV 2 preset.)

Encoding Blu Ray to 720p for my ATVs will run at anywhere between 20-30fps, depending on the amount of on-screen action/detail. Encoding for iPhone 4 (544p) will run into the 70s on occasion.

(See my sig. line for equipment)

nateo200
Dec 30, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if bd differ from DVD but my DVDs are typically averaging 45 fps, some go as high as 60 fps

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL sorry but at the moment I'm ripping a BluRay at about 6fps. So yes their is a difference between a 720x480 MPEG-2 DVD and a 1920x1080 BluRay/rip...big difference ;)

bp1000
Dec 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL sorry but at the moment I'm ripping a BluRay at about 6fps. So yes their is a difference between a 720x480 MPEG-2 DVD and a 1920x1080 BluRay/rip...big difference ;)

I was referring to FPS differences not resolution.

I've never ripped a BD disc and i have no idea what the read speeds are on drives or what decoding is needed.

chiefpavvy
Jan 1, 2012, 12:12 AM
Obviously this varies dramatically depending on your hardware. I do my encoding on a quad-core AMD machine and average about 20 to 22fps doing said encodes. DVDs are blistering fast - but who uses those as a source any more?

On my trusty old MacBook (late 2008) the same process is dreadfully painful at about 7 or 8fps tops. And enough heat to fry some eggs and bacon :D

Burgess07
Jan 1, 2012, 03:54 AM
Mine isn't blue-ray but I figured it was still pretty good?

nateo200
Jan 3, 2012, 02:37 PM
I was referring to FPS differences not resolution.

I've never ripped a BD disc and i have no idea what the read speeds are on drives or what decoding is needed.

Uh well resolution can make a big difference in FPS. I can rip a 2 hour DVD in less than an hour on my MBP...a 1.5hour BluRay on the other hand might take 4-5 hours if I'm lucky and not using 2-pass encoding. Just something to keep in mind.

EvilC5
Jan 4, 2012, 06:45 AM
I just did some comparisons before the holidays on my core duo 2 mini server and my new i5 mini desktop and also my 24 inch imac with MKV 1080p blue ray rips. I was very surprised how much faster the i5 did over the core duo's. it was almost twice as fast. I was using the straight apple tv 2 preset and not changing anything. the core duo's were running between 7-9 fps, and the i5 was 15-18 fps.

I guess I need to test out the no decombing and see whereIi get.