Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
While I've only been a member for a little over a year, and I've browsed the site for only a little longer than that, I've noticed that every single announcement from Apple has produced a flood of negative criticism, with the possible exception of the recent iMac update (which produced only a small flow of negativity).

Therefore, I'm going out on a limb (not) by predicting that, on the evening of June 6th, there will be a flood of negative threads. In a (likely vain) attempt to focus that flood, perhaps all the outrage could be placed here.

What made you so upset? Post it here. Let me help get you started:

(1) 3.2 GHz PowerMacs were a major disappointment: they weren't dual-core, and they were a year late. The default graphics card sucks.

(2) Quad-2.5 GHz (dual dual-core 2.5GHz) PMs were a disappointment: we were promised 3GHz in 2004, and it's mid-2005 and all we have is something two and a half times as powerful as the original PMG5s. The default graphics card sucks.

(3) The iBook was only bumped to 1.33/1.5GHz w/512MB of RAM. The graphics card still sucks.

(4) The iBook was bumped to 1.33/1.5GHz w/512MB of RAM. Now the PowerBooks are worthless. The graphics card still sucks.

(5) The Mac mini was only bumped to 1.33/1.5GHz w/512MB of RAM. The graphics card still sucks.

(6) The four-button scroll Pro scroll mouse looks great, but we had to wait two freaking decades for it to appear.

(7) The four-button scroll Pro scroll mouse is an abomination to all faithful Mac users; it goes against two freaking decades of good design.

(8) I thought that Asteroid would be a cool new game for my iPod. Instead, it's some dumb GarageBand thingy.

(9) I thought that Asteroid would be a cool new GarageBand thingy. Instead, it's some dumb game for the new all-color iPod lineup. The graphics on the iPods still suck.

(10) They added another user-accessible RAM slot to the 12" PowerBook and dropped the price, but the screen still sucks.

(11) They added a high-res 13" screen to low-end PB, but the graphics card still sucks.

(12) They added a high-res 1920x1080 screen to the 17" PB. Now all the other PBs look like crap by comparison, and the new screen means the graphics card sucks even more.

I don't know what Steve will announce. All I know is that some large fraction of the community will find something wrong with all of it. I suspect that, no matter what (if anything) is announced, the graphics card on it will "suck."

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Let's not get ahead of yourself. Let's wait and see what Steve has in store for us. Besides, why are you complaining? I doubt you're going to buy anything anyways. If you're not going to buy, shut your damn mouth.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Pismo said:
Let's not get ahead of yourself. Let's wait and see what Steve has in store for us. Besides, why are you complaining? I doubt you're going to buy anything anyways. If you're not going to buy, shut your damn mouth.

It's good to read and understand a post before having a fit over it ...

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Pismo said:

Yeh...charming!

Actually, the poster has in fact brought a trusim to our awareness. We all want what we cant have. It's human nature I'm affraid.

Tamer Brad said:
Marry me.
I'm in agreement, since if any of those updates happen, that's PRECISELY what the response will be.

Unfortunately, with Apple, "The graphics card still sucks" is a constantly valid argument. Yeah, most users don't need more, but we're paying the price as though we are getting more in that area.

When will they just deliver on graphics? At this rate, never, even with optimization like Quark 2d Extreme.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I dunno, I recall the original PM G5 announcement at WWDC was very positively received (and I was there for it), as well as things such as the Mac Mini, Airport Express (except some IMHO legitimate gripes about the lack of remote control), the PowerBook 667/800 DVI upgrade, Final Cut Pro and Motion, Panther, Tiger, iChat, Safari, iTunes, Cinema Display price drops, and others.

Sure, there are always people out there who want the world for $49.00 with a free popsicle, but I also think Apple deserves civilized criticism for lackluster upgrades (the years-long wait for a 50 MHz G4 boost); underpowered or overpriced products (Cube, original .Mac, obsolete and unupgradeable iMac G5 video); expensive or possibly dangerous design flaws (unreplaceable and fast-draining iPod batteries, exploding PB 5300 batteries); vaporware (Copland/Gershwin/Yellow Box); buggy, unfinished, crippled, or languishing software (iWork, OS X 10.0 and 10.1, QuickTime Player, AppleWorks); and the move to constant cash-flow policies such as paid OS upgrades (I'm ok with this but it's a lot of money every year), and constant .Mac and QuickTime Pro upgrade fees.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Pismo said:
What's up Pismo?
That's the second aggressive post I've seen tonight!
The original thread was, in fact, not a complaint about WWDC, but about the inevitable fallout!
You ok Mate?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, actually, I was trying for a bit of humor. Perhaps it was too subtle or, in fact, just not funny. ;)

My point was simply that, no matter what is announced, someone's going to trash it for some reason - and, often, for the exact same reasons someone else loves it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
oingoboingo said:
Item 13: The number of people complaining about WWDC suckage will suck.
(14) Any really good announcement will be followed by a wave of people complaining that they just bought the previous rev or something they wish they'd waited on so they could buy this new thing, so therefore Apple sucks because they didn't tell this person of their upcoming announcement. Even though the graphics card sucks.

(15) It's not going to be in stock. Apple should have stuck with components they could deliver in quantity.

(16) It's in stock. Apple always uses sucky old hardware that's available because no one else wants it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
James Philp said:
What's up Pismo?
That's the second aggressive post I've seen tonight!
The original thread was, in fact, not a complaint about WWDC, but about the inevitable fallout!
You ok Mate?
New diet, perhaps?

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I do agree, where did all the negative energy suddenly come from? About 2 or 3 years ago everyone was happy... Did the introduction of the G5 do this to ya'll or something? sheesh...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
(17) The new four-button scroll Pro scroll mouse is optical and not laser, therefore I'm just gonna throw it in a drawer and get an after-market mouse anyways.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
MacsRgr8 said:
(18) Where's my grfx card with hardware H.264 support?
(19) The PBs now have H.264 support in hardware, but the battery life is only three and a half hours. That sucks! And it'll be even less if I plug in the new 4-button optical mouse.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
(21) Now, where can I put in my two ATi "Crossfire" grfx cards? I need two PCI-E 16x slots

Attachments

• ATdongle.JPG.jpg
    ATdongle.JPG.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 113

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Wow and we all know there will be people b****ing about it latter that night and that if a product is upgraded people a month latter will be asking if they should buy it now or wait. (or at least that seems to happen)

rbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
iindigo said:
I do agree, where did all the negative energy suddenly come from? About 2 or 3 years ago everyone was happy... Did the introduction of the G5 do this to ya'll or something? sheesh...
The iHalo effect.

Hmm, sounds like a movie.

Church

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Alabama
MacsRgr8 said:
(21) Now, where can I put in my two ATi "Crossfire" grfx cards? I need two PCI-E 16x slots

(22) They supported Crossfire, but what about SLI!??!!!

(I'm personally not a fan of nvidia, but if crossfire gets supported, Nvidia fan boys will have a fit :eek: )

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jsw said:
I don't know what Steve will announce. All I know is that some large fraction of the community will find something wrong with all of it. I suspect that, no matter what (if anything) is announced, the graphics card on it will "suck."

But this is also Apple's fault at times - they leave you in the dark or hype things beyond their ability to deliver so when you actually see something new its never what you hope it was.

There have been exceptions and some funny things as well. Go back and search the original iPod release threads - tons of negativity on that and look at it today ;)

D

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
*Shakes insanely in the corner*

Something good will happen. Something good will happen.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Haha! When I first saw this title, I thought that I somehow missed WWDC 2005, and MacRumors had nothing to post, since nothing happened. Then I thought, naaa, and clicked the link. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.