PDA

View Full Version : PMG5: OK to always have CPUs @ 100% ?

zakatov
Jun 2, 2005, 04:21 PM
I have a dual 2Ghz G5 and I'm running Folding @ Home on both CPUs basically 24x7. I'm wondering if the hardware was designed to handle these loads over a long period of time (let's say 2-4 years). I know that G5's cooling system is excellent at keeping the CPUs cool, but can it withstand constant CPU abuse?

Stats @ 100% CPUs attached.

Stats @ idle:
Temp: A:60-63 B:65-69
CPU Fans: 300-400

What do you think?

daveL
Jun 2, 2005, 04:43 PM
What good is a computer if you can't run it fully utilized?

Maxiseller
Jun 2, 2005, 05:00 PM
What good is a computer if you can't run it fully utilized?

Absolutly.

I mean, sure, you'll burn out the things a few years early, but you won't be using it 60 years anyway surely? ;)

asanchezm
Jun 2, 2005, 05:02 PM
I've had problems with running it at 100%, it had a constant beeping noise which was removed once I turned it on Automatic.

risc
Jun 2, 2005, 05:31 PM
I've had problems with running it at 100%, it had a constant beeping noise which was removed once I turned it on Automatic.

I've run my Power Mac G5 for about a year now with the processors set to high, the machine is on 24/7 0 problems at all, under any load.

unixkid
Jun 2, 2005, 07:30 PM
You wont have any problems with it at that temp. It's normal. :D

My PowerMac runs at around 180F (80C).

If it goes to what ever temp it feels is dangerous it will automatically goto sleep to cool it self. ;)

zakatov
Jun 2, 2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks all for the responses. To the person who mentioned the beeping noise, for me it happends when the CPUs are idle, so running at 100% actually makes the noise go away.

I am more concerned with the fans running at elevated speeds rather than the processors (i know they're made to run at higher temps). Does anyone know the MTBF on those fans, or at least their normal (read: constant) rated speed?

daveL
Jun 2, 2005, 09:25 PM
Absolutly.

I mean, sure, you'll burn out the things a few years early, but you won't be using it 60 years anyway surely? ;)
A CPU isn't a light bulb.

zakatov
Jun 3, 2005, 09:48 AM
bump... any more opinions?

kwajo.com
Jun 3, 2005, 11:41 AM
i like where this thread is going, but one question: what app did you use to get those stats you posted in the screenshot. I was tempuraturemonitor, but I don't get anywhere near that amount of detail

ReanimationLP
Jun 3, 2005, 11:43 AM
I dont see any problem. I'm always pushing my machines at 90-100 percent load.

zakatov
Jun 3, 2005, 03:47 PM
i like where this thread is going, but one question: what app did you use to get those stats you posted in the screenshot. I was tempuraturemonitor, but I don't get anywhere near that amount of detail
The program that i'm using is actually written by the same people as Temperature Monitor and it's called Hardware Monitor. It's not free, it is about $9 US dollars (they sell from europe).

The official site for this program seems down at the moment (www.bresink.de/osx/HardwareMonitor.html), but here's the Google cache (http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:nYmjQ0HNsr8J:www.bresink.de/osx/HardwareMonitor.html+hardware+monitor+marcel&hl=en&client=safari).

It's a very good program with graphing and history capabilities. Well worth the price

ham_man
Jun 3, 2005, 05:00 PM
I don't really pay attention, but on the AMD that I have folding running on, I have it set to 96%. Kinda physcological I guess. Hopefully it won't hurt the machine...

Abstract
Jun 3, 2005, 05:34 PM
A CPU isn't a light bulb.

But if he runs folding on 100% and say one of the cpus dies in 2.5 years, and say both would have lasted him for 5 years if he did regular (but expected) intensive tasks, but not FOLDING at 100% for 24/7, 365 days a year for 2.5 years, are you going to replace his CPU's for him?

A long time ago, I had an AMD cpu die on me after 5 years, but that wasn't under constant load. My brother downloaded lots of music and such, and all I really did was use email and search the internet occasionally.

daveL
Jun 3, 2005, 05:48 PM
But if he runs folding on 100% and say one of the cpus dies in 2.5 years, and say both would have lasted him for 5 years if he did regular (but expected) intensive tasks, but not FOLDING at 100% for 24/7, 365 days a year for 2.5 years, are you going to replace his CPU's for him?

A long time ago, I had an AMD cpu die on me after 5 years, but that wasn't under constant load. My brother downloaded lots of music and such, and all I really did was use email and search the internet occasionally.
I fold 24x7 on 3 Macs. One has been folding for nearly 2 years. Solid state devices don't behave the way you are describing. The CPU will die because:

1. infant mortality (internal defect causes failure during initial use);
2. environment (overheating, excess moisture, excess dust); or
3. flakey power (surge, etc.).

A CPU doesn't have some number of cycles of life to use up.

Anyway, you're obviously free to believe whatever you want.

combatcolin
Jun 4, 2005, 03:46 AM
As long as Mac OS isn't doing anything to cool down the CPU's or giving you warning messages your G5 will last for decades.

Well maintained IT equipment causes a massive enviromental impact because if you look after it it will most likely outlast the user.

This means theres 1000's of tonnes of the stuff being made redundant each year, it still works but is too slow to be used any more.

Now if we sent all of it to devloping countries and charities it would pretty much solve itself, problem is this procedure costs $$$ and not every company wans to spend money.

Returning to your G5, bets on favourtite your grandparants will get the machine when its too slow for you in 5 years?

My 1st gen iMac is just sitting around doing nothing, still hava the box and packaging!