Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
I am looking into making a HD. (100-250GBs)

Is this something worth doing? Or should I just buy one that is fully assembled (With Case).

What are the best brands to buy from?

And how hard is it to assemble ? (On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being making a computer and 1 being grilled cheese.) :)

Thank You. :)

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
I don't think you could make a hard drive. It takes very expesive assembly machines as well as a good design and the parts. On a scale of 1-10, it would be 1000. :)

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
sjpetry said:
I am looking into making a HD. (100-250GBs)

Is this something worth doing? Or should I just buy one.

What are the best brands to buy from?

And how hard is it to assemble ? (On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being making a computer and 1 being grilled cheese.) :)

Thank You. :)

Well, an IDE HD, I'd recommend picking up a U/ATA hard drive from Seagate or Western Digital, I've always had luck with WD. Then you've got to get a bridgeboard that has IDE<->Firewire or IDE<->USB and an enclosure.

On a scale of difficulty, I'd say less than building your own computer, since there's fewer parts and things, but more if you're squeamish about small parts.

You'll of course need a firewire-firewire cable to connect the drive to your computer.

Good luck.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
All garments aside: Get a 3.5" 250 GB IDE/ATA100 Seagate Barracuda (or the very nice new 400 GB if you can bend the budget a little) and an enclosure (USB2 and/or FireWire) to fit (most of them are extremely easy to install the disk into, I would say 2 or 3 on your scale). The Barracudas are reliable, fast, durable and - maybe most important of all - very quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.