Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbearbethany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I have a hard case on my 4th gen ipod touch. The case clips to the back and is sealed all the way round, so I can't push it out one end. It will not come off and I really don't want to break the ipod as it is 4 days old! Please please help me. I would take to an apple shop, but the nearest one is about 300 miles away. :(

Thank you.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I think your only option is to pry the case off yourself. If its plastic, try usin a hair dryer on it to heat the plastic a bit, then letting it cool in an alternating fashion. The expansion/contraction of the case may loosen it. If you have o e, a plastic prybar may help also. You can often find these at radio shack or auto parts/car audio stores as they are often used in stereo installation projects.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
First off, as ReallyBigFeet said use a hair dryer to try and loosen up the plastic (if it's plastic of course, which it probably is)

If that doesn't work get a plastic spudger if you have one and try to pry it off, the plastic spudger won't scratch or damage your iPod as, one it plastic and two it's blunt.

DO NOT use a knife... Unless you don't mind ruining the back of your iPod. My friend got his iPhone stuck in a case and used a knife to pry it off, it worked, but it was the first gen iPhone with the aluminum back and it left deep scratches in the phone.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

bearbearbethany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Thank you!

I heated it for about 30 seconds with my hairdryer and the ipod practically fell out of the case. After it had cooled down, I put the ipod back in the case (knowing I could get it out if it got stuck again) and it now clips on and off easily.

Thank you so much! I really really appreciate it. Knowing me, I would NEVER have thought of using a hairdryer. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.