Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackT06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Hello,

You may have seen my thread earlier this week, about wordpress blog. Well, i've now decided to transfer my website over to a full wordpress blog for many reasons.

I think that my front page needs some work done.. BUT i'm not 100% sure about how to improve? Could people please critque it for me?

I'm a big guy, i can take the truth!;)

Attachments

• frontcover.jpg
    frontcover.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 205

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I like it. :) It's warm and inviting and easy to navigate with the eyes.

Obvious things are the php at the bottom and the black square, and a few spelling/grammatical errors but I'm assuming that's unfinished content.

Looking good!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Apart From

The slightly fade in in the upcoming events and Twitter sections, I wouldn't mess with it too much. It's a good job. Just darken those backgrounds to give a better contrast...a darker blue, or perhaps brown? Anything that will make the text there stand out more.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Not bad. ;)

I would work on lining things up more where possible. For instance:

1. Move tabs at top of page to left so that edge of right-most tab aligns with right edge of "Open Silver" and calendar boxes.

2. Extend tan "Learn More" bar to right to line up with right edge of "Open Silver" box etc.

3. Fix pic of kids so that top of pic aligns with top of adjacent text, and so that right edge of pic aligns with right margin of text, black feature box etc.

4. Extend twitter box to right so that its right edge aligns with right margin of text above etc.

On a strictly graphical note, I do like the feel and grass/roots imagery. But I do wonder if the big white field really makes sense between the grass and the roots. You might want to play with something else. All dark-brown soil colors would be too dark. Maybe a pastel green, or some other light earth tone or gradient. I think the white just kills the relationship between the grass header and soil footer a wee bit much.

Nice effort. Good luck with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.