Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Hi, I plug in my mini and it charges, but the computer which I recently upgraded to 10.4 is not showing that my mini is connected, nor synching with my itunes library, although it does charge from my USB 2.0 port. Any idea why this happens? I'm not on 10.4.1 because my Software Update crashes every time. Any idea why?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It charges because it (obviously) gets power from the USB port.

Now why it doesn't mount/show up in iTunes may very possibly be related to the system problems you seem to have.

Try repairing permissions and see if you cannot get both System Update and the mini to work. (how-to) If you get Software Update and the iPod mini still doesn't show up, see if any of this helps...

How did you upgrade to Tiger? Simple Upgrade, Archive and Install or Clean Install?

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Thank you so much! Through the apple article you gave me I found the reset method and that somehow worked. Although Software Update still doesn't work even after fixing permissions it's not a huge deal to me right now.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
mikemodena said:
Although Software Update still doesn't work even after fixing permissions it's not a huge deal to me right now.
Is the iPod mounting on the desktop? (where you actually see a little iPod icon on the desktop) The harddrive needs to be mounted on the desktop to upgrade the software.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
This is a fun iPod bug that hasn't gone away yet.

Remember, if anything is wrong - the iPod not mounting, etc. - just hard reboot your iPod.

1)Old iPods (1,2,3g): Hold 'Menu + Play / Pause' until you see the apple logo.

2)New / Mini iPods (touchwheel): Hold 'Menu + Center Button' until you see the apple logo.

I call it the Windows / System 7 solution. Reminds me of the classic problems from the Win98 / System 7 days...with the lock-ups, blue screens and bomb icons. A hard reboot fixed everything (and still does, sometimes).

Ah, good times...

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Dr. Dastardly said:
Is the iPod mounting on the desktop? (where you actually see a little iPod icon on the desktop) The harddrive needs to be mounted on the desktop to upgrade the software.

by Software Update I meant for Tiger, not the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.