PDA

View Full Version : iBook death

blakespot
Oct 16, 2002, 04:28 PM
I dropped my iBook 700 onto a tile floor yesterday evening. My god, how horrible that was. The case popped open near the F12 key but I was able to pop it shut again, but the LCD's enclosure was broken, and part of the hinge. The CD drive does not shut fully flush anymore, but everything functions.

I've taken it to the Apple Store to have it shipped off to get an estimate on repair. The guy says it's likely a tier 1 ($350) or tier 2 ($800) repair, and feels it's the latter given what he's seen come thru. $800 seems a bit steep for the replacement of the LCD's enclosure and possibly the hinge.

I'm not sure what I'll do if it's $800, but I can't swing that repair cost. Ugh...

Self pity mode here.

blakespot

King Cobra
Oct 16, 2002, 09:16 PM
You're not the only one to drop an iBook and start a thread about it. Someone else a ways back did something similar.

Let me tell you something. I did something stupid a few weeks back, which cost my parents $600+. I dropped a container lid down a flushing toilet, and it got stuck. The plummer had to be called to remove the toilet and the lid.

But it turned out that our toilet's pipes, or whatever, were rusting away, barely hanging on a lim. If this accident had never happened with us, the pipes probably would have broken, and the entire floor could have been flooded, making an even worse situation.

My point is that everything happens for a reason. In my case, my accidental dropping of a container lid clogging the toilet saved our family a huge disaster. In your case, maybe dropping the iBook and rendering it temporarily malfunctional may have been a cause to get the iBook fixed. Possibly your iBook may have caught a virus and may delete all your personal material on the iBook, or you may have dropped it elsewhere, completely destroying it.

Whatever the case is, it's probably worth it to just go through whatever has to get done first, and then worry about the rest. Besides, it may not be as big as a problem as expected. :)

jefhatfield
Oct 18, 2002, 07:48 AM
ibooks, directed towards young students as one of the main users of the product, are very tough laptops

cosmetically, things could look rough and thrashed

but does the ibook work otherwise?

if so, keep it that way and use the machine if the repair is over 350

but what an unfortunate accident

i hope things turn up well for the repair

macstudent
Oct 18, 2002, 09:42 AM
does applecare something like that?

Hemingray
Oct 19, 2002, 04:24 PM
Ouch....... ouch! :eek: Sorry blakespot dude, that really bites the Big One.

When I eventually buy a new iBook I will definitely be keeping it in a case! (Not that that will make it invulnerable to accidents, but every bit helps...)

uhlawboi80
Oct 19, 2002, 08:15 PM
that really does suck, but two days ago the law center had a fire alarm go off. The alarm was actually triggered by a (dumb) construction worker walking through a fire exit and not noticing, but someone had also totally burned popcorn down the hall so everyone thought it was a real fire. I hauled ass outta the room with everyone else only grabbing my cell phone and my TiBook...i was stiff arming the crowd to keep them from knocking my TiBook out of my hands...

i would have been totally spazzing in someone had knocked it out of my hands or i had dropping it going down the stairs. I totally sympathize!!

ibookin'
Oct 22, 2002, 02:49 PM
Same thing happend to me. I just got the thing fixed. However, you may not have to pay for the repair if it was less than 90 days old when you dropped it and you bought it with a Mastercard Platinum or a card with similar insurance. My entire Tier 2 repair was covered by Mastercard and now my iBook is as good as new.

Try and find out if you have such protection. It saved me a lot of money.