Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
I can't seem to understand why so many people keep speculating on the update of Powerbooks at WWDC ... they were just updated weeks ago so an update isn't likely. I've seen so many posts here in the forums .. I've replied to several indicating that I don't think Powerbook updates are around the corner.

According to Appleinsider here's what they think:

"In the Mac sector only two product lines show any potential for a refresh before the company's third quarter ends in late June: the iBook G4 and the Mac mini. Both product lines have seen a significant slowing of demand recently and are prime subjects for a rebuffing as the educational buying season approaches."

"While the Mac mini is due to gain a bit more RAM and potentially the long-lost iPod dock, sources have only commented on slightly redesigned iBooks said to be making the rounds on the west coast. If Apple fails to refresh either of these products next week, it could be almost a month before the company makes any moves."

-----

So, the Mac mini and the iBook might see updates, other than that I doubt we'll see updates to the other hardware.

What I found interesting is that Apple seems stocked up on several products ranging from iPods to Macs

The article I referenced is located at:
http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1106

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
A thought

Given that supply isn't an issue with Apple right now (According to the referenced artcle), I wonder if Apple will run a promotion before the end of the quarter to move products and get the revenue numbers up.

The street wouldn't like to see an inventory build up of product on the shelves.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
amac4me said:
I can't seem to understand why so many people keep speculating on the update of Powerbooks at WWDC ... they were just updated weeks ago so an update isn't likely. I've seen so many posts here in the forums .. I've replied to several indicating that I don't think Powerbook updates are around the corner.

According to the buyers guide, the PB was updated Jan 31. It's at 122 days since update (average 185) and listed as mid product cycle. That's not exactly weeks since update (it's actually several months).

To me, it seemed like the last update was sort of a wimpy minor update that felt like they needed to bide a little time before the next semi-major update out. In addition, the iBook is due for a release and it at least seems at least a bit likely that the two could be updated together.

Honestly I doubt there will be a PB update (especially with the current edu rebate), but it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm certain any update will not be a G5 though.

Edit: Addendum: I also believe the Mini has been on the market less than the current PB. It was announced in January but as I recall did not actually ship till February or March.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I doubt Apple will update the mini and the iBook at WWDC one would think they would wait for Macworld WWDC is for pro's for the most part is it not? I could be wrong but i dont think the mini will get a update at this point but new iBooks would be cool the current is getting old to look at.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
I'm sick of people saying consumer stuff won't be shown at WWDC just because it's a developers expo. Developers should be excited about consumer products, considering it means more success for the platform they're developing on.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Tamer Brad said:
I'm sick of people saying consumer stuff won't be shown at WWDC just because it's a developers expo. Developers should be excited about consumer products, considering it means more success for the platform they're developing on.

It has NOTHING to do with that. The WWDC is for them to learn NEW things about coding for the Mac platform. A bumped up product that is programmed the same old way they have been programming for several years isn't relevant to this show. They are there to learn how to write better apps... speed bumping an iBook doesn't help them with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.