Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Adding more RAM and otherwise changing stuff inside your computer first requires you to actually unscrew the device. :) And, if, like me, you have rather big not so deft hands then the screwdriver can make a big difference to the speed of doing that.

I'd really like something with a magnetic tip (is that possible?) so that it can "stick" to the screw I'm getting out. Then, when I've unscrewed it, I don't drop it on the carpet and have tp s[end ages looking for it. :p I'm also wondering what sort of size screwdrivers I need for different Macs. So my 2009 iMac and 2011 Macbook Pro. And, for the record, what size would I need to get the screws out of my iPhone 3GS when I decide to get a 4S?

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Adding more RAM and otherwise changing stuff inside your computer first requires you to actually unscrew the device. :) And, if, like me, you have rather big not so deft hands then the screwdriver can make a big difference to the speed of doing that.

I'd really like something with a magnetic tip (is that possible?) so that it can "stick" to the screw I'm getting out. Then, when I've unscrewed it, I don't drop it on the carpet and have tp s[end ages looking for it. :p I'm also wondering what sort of size screwdrivers I need for different Macs. So my 2009 iMac and 2011 Macbook Pro. And, for the record, what size would I need to get the screws out of my iPhone 3GS when I decide to get a 4S?

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools#0-Toolkits

I use the 54 bit driver set, works quite well. Case isn't the greatest but it does the job.

iFixit.com also has guides on repairing Macs and what tools are required.

Axiosion

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Another vote for the iFixit screwdriver set, they're pretty good in comparison to other precision toolkits that I've owned from The Source and Canadian Tire.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
I have only bought one ifixit screwdriver, the pentalobe for removing the battery, but I bought a Skil set from ebay for cheap and it seems like a pretty good set, it just isn't magnetic.

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
You can probably find this or something similar in the UK for less, but I got this one a while back.

it's worked fine for iBooks and Mac Minis (including replacing the CPU).

Not sure why you need to unscrew anything on the 3GS though.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Wiha makes a really good screw driver set, reasonably priced if you look on Amazon. They are all made in Germany and are of excellent quality. I believe Apple uses these screw drivers when they service their machines.

Buckles

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
There are some quite good sets on ebay at the moment - I recently bought a set with all tools for all Macs, I needed the 1.5mm pentalobe, which most sets don't include.. Seems good quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270886520748

Hope this is of use to someone.

Yeah I got that one too. Didn't know which tool I needed so I decided to buy them all.. :D In the end I needed the 1.5mm pentalobe and the PH00 and one of the Torx bits. No idea why Apple make it so complicated!

Kit is decent - has the console tools in it too. My mate borrowed it to dismantle his Nintendo Wii. Not sure why... Guess some people just like taking things apart. Weirdo!

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Wiha makes a really good screw driver set, reasonably priced if you look on Amazon. They are all made in Germany and are of excellent quality. I believe Apple uses these screw drivers when they service their machines.

+1 for Wiha.
Amazing quality precision screwdrivers. I always had problems stripping screws until I bought a set of Wiha's.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
I checked out WIHA...on Amazon but how would we know if it includes pentalobe? I am assuming since I do not see it listed on one of the other pages then it doesnt?

jefbond

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
I worked the Genius Bar for Apple. We used the Wiha brand for all stores. I HIGHLY recommend this brand. Bought a set myself, too :)

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Another longtime WIHA owner here.

I have several sets. The Topra has magnetic tips and a geared handle to provide more torque:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-28298-12-Piece-Hex-Inch-Ratchet/dp/B000LDNA26/

For general usage, I have the five-piece set of insulated screwdrivers

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-32091-1000-Volt-Insulated-Screwdriver/dp/B000T9UG60/

For small work, I have an older discontinued box set of Wihi Drive-Loc ESD screwdrivers (one handle, interchangeable blades). The following link is the closest similar set that's currently available:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26985-Drive-Loc-Phillips-Interchangeable/dp/B004V229BQ/

Great tools, the Mercedes-Benz of screwdrivers. I've had mine for probably close to 15 years! I purchased them before pentalobe screws were used, but I don't think Wiha makes them anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.