Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Yesterday, I was using my MacBook, and Safari froze. Trying to Force Quit it, the Finder froze. Trying to restart it, the whole system froze. After waiting 5 minutes or so for the beachball to end, I shut off the machine using the Power button.

Upon trying to restart it, it went right into the recovery partition. I used Disk Utility to Verify the disk, and it came up with "Invalid B-Tree Node" among 2 other things that were general errors. Trying to Repair it, it froze yet again, and after waiting 10 more minutes, I again turned it off using the Power button. A repair with my Snow Leopard disc said that it could not be repaired after I left it overnight.

This time, trying to boot it up, the machine sat at the white screen, with the Apple logo and the spinning loading gear. It went nowhere. Trying to start it in Safe Mode with the Shift key caused the machine to very quickly flash the Apple logo / folder with a question mark / circle with a line through it. Letting go of Shift, it went to the Apple and stayed there.

Zapping the Pram did nothing, taking out the battery and holding the power button did nothing, moving the hard drive did nothing. Actually, this paragraph and the previous one were all directions given to me by an Apple repair tech. I explained to them that I just had my machine in for major repairs, and assumed everything was taken care of. I know hard drives can go at any time, but 110 days? Come on.

I sent it in at the beginning of September because the lid would sometimes pop open. The Syracuse Apple store "repaired" it, and they damaged my Backlit keyboard - it no longer lit up, at all, ever.

I had it sent in to Apple because I refused to bring it back to those Syracuse techs, and Apple returned it to me with a list of things I didn't expect to be replaced - the LCD and lid, topcase, keyboard, backlight, logicboard, and hard drive. Why did they replace the LCD and hard drive? I don't know. Nothing was wrong with either when I sent it in. They claimed the HD had a "bad sector."

Now, my MacBook's warranty expired on November 22nd, and the 90 day warranty on those parts just expired in mid-December. A call to Apple's repair tech went nowhere, and they told me the only thing they could do is give me a diagnosis and estimate on a repair in Syracuse.

Because I updated to Lion, I also have no access to my Lion Time Machine backups, as the system won't boot to anything; in addition to the fact that I have no Lion flash drive or CD.

Apple claims that even though I'm barely out of warranty, they can't do a single thing, and I'm on my own. I was even told to "get a hard drive from Best Buy, and throw that bad boy in there". Any suggestions here?

Last edited:

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I would phone Apple again - the hard disk has failed and since they replaced it without being asked to I do not think that 90 days warranty is acceptable.

Apple seem to make up their own rules so you may not get anywhere but it is worth another phone call.....

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Minor Success, How About Data Recovery?

I would phone Apple again - the hard disk has failed and since they replaced it without being asked to I do not think that 90 days warranty is acceptable.

Apple seem to make up their own rules so you may not get anywhere but it is worth another phone call.....

I actually did call Apple again last night, and I got a supervisor who completely understood my situation, and he offered to ship out a box and have my computer repaired correctly again at no cost - bypassing the Syracuse store like I had hoped. I look forward to shipping it off to Apple's day spa and getting back a working, happy MacBook. The representative / supervisor that I got was very nice and helpful, and apologized for the confusion from two days ago that ended with no real resolution.

I'd also like to note something significant; I'm coming to you from Safari on the Recovery partition of my Hard Drive. Booting to the Recovery worked fine, and then trying to boot to the HD brought me right back to the Recovery.

Another note, my backlit keyboard does not light up again. Not sure if this this is normal as the brightness and volume buttons are also non-functional on the Recovery.

Anyhow, I'd like to know, is there any way to do a backup of the Hard Drive at this point in time, or retrieve any data off of it? My last backup was the end of October, so no HUGE loss, but I'd like the month of papers and work to be saved if possible. (Regardless, everything else is either backed up or in iCloud.)

I'll be leaving the computer plugged in and on in the meanwhile. No guarantees I can get back to this point if I turn it off.

I was able to see my Time Machine Backups, and my last backup was under 10.6.8 on October 22nd. I can either start from Snow Leopard, or find out how file recovery works under Lion using Time Machine backups from an earlier OS.

* Tonight, I was able to Verify and Repair the Toshiba drive, and nothing came up; it all checked out ok. Trying to Verify the Macintosh HD under it returned the B-Tree Node error, and the Repair failed, telling me to backup, reinstall, and restore. The ironic thing about that is if I can't boot, how can I back up anything on it? I don't even have FireWire for Target Disk Mode.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.