PDA

View Full Version : Complete idiot here

BuZZ22k
Oct 16, 2002, 04:39 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing so please be gentle. I am a long time PC user and today I got my first mac. It is old...really old. A centris 650 that I got for free from work. I was pretty surprised at how fast it is. Anyway. What I would like to know or at least pointed in the right directing is... Can the mac and pc be on the same network? If so what do I need to do to get it running? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BuZZ22k
Oct 16, 2002, 08:37 PM
Bueler.....Bueler....

rainman::|:|
Oct 16, 2002, 08:57 PM
Humm... it's been a looong time since i've used a centris (FYI, they are the same as Quadras, which are better known)... so i don't know what kind of software might run on it. Try looking for a utility called Dave for your computer, an older version might run on it. I'm guessing it's running 7.1 or 7.5 (upgrade to at least 7.5 if needed)... 7.5 includes basic PC connectivity, like PC Exchange, which lets you view PC files, disks, and disk formats... tho it doesn't include PC networking...

mc68k could help you on this one, i'm surprised he hasn't found the thread already...

good luck, and welcome to the Mac world... don't judge it too harshly on the basis of an old computer tho ;) they're a world apart from what's out there now...

:)
pnw

BuZZ22k
Oct 16, 2002, 10:03 PM
Hmm, does this mean that if I have the right OS I can hook up my PC and Mac on the same connection?

e-coli
Oct 16, 2002, 10:38 PM
you should be able to network them with little problem. Dave is good, and PC MacLAN is good, too. You'll be able to connect to the pc with your mac, but i don't think you'll be able to access your mac from your PC. Of course, I could be wrong...

Glad you got a Mac. It's a start at least. ;)

BuZZ22k
Oct 16, 2002, 11:10 PM
cool, now all I need to do is find out how to hook up an eithernet cable to it and I'm off. Can I get files on my pc, burn them and use them on the mac?

FattyMembrane
Oct 16, 2002, 11:16 PM
networking may take some time to set up on the centris (we've all been spoiled by osx). as far as burning files to cd and putting them on the mac, this should work just fine. i'm not sure what version of the system software you need to be able to read pc disks (this may not matter with cds) but depending on what kind of files you'll be using, they should be usable with some program. give us a list of the type of things you'll be moving over to the mac and we'll see if we can help you figure out what you need to view them.

BuZZ22k
Oct 17, 2002, 07:46 AM
The only thing I need to burn would be software that will get me up and running. I will look around for the dave software. If I get up I can dl anything I need to the mac it self. Not sure what to do about the small hard drive but it is for my kid and will mostly just be for internet browsing.

I saw a connector that plugs into a port on the back of the mac that allows for an ethernet plug. Is this what I need?

Thanks for all the help guys, my son and I really appreciate it.

scem0
Oct 17, 2002, 06:48 PM
Another thing you might wanna buy (if you have the money) is this thing called 'a new mac' :D:D:D.

BuZZ22k
Oct 17, 2002, 06:58 PM
LOL, one step at a time. If I really like these I may just do that. But from what I have seen so far, PC still has me. Mostly I'm sure due to my lack of skills with mac... I have been building my own PC's for years.

job
Oct 17, 2002, 07:37 PM
When will you get the 266/G3?

BuZZ22k
Oct 17, 2002, 08:58 PM
I should find out tomorrow. My company had a bunch and sold them off to the employees. One guy backed out and now I'm pretty sure I can get it. They gave me a centris 650 for free. Cool part is they cleaned them up and they all run great. I have been playing with it trying to get online. No luck as of yet though.

job
Oct 17, 2002, 09:44 PM
I think you will like the 266 better than the Centris.. ;)

Doctor Q
Oct 17, 2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by BuZZ22k
I saw a connector that plugs into a port on the back of the mac that allows for an ethernet plug. Is this what I need?
If your Centris has an Ethernet port, it is probably an AAUI (Apple Attachment Unit Interface) port. You need an AAUI transceiver, a small box that adapts the AAUI to the type of cabling used, probably RJ-45, so you can connect to your network.

The Centric 650 was discontinued in May 1995 so we're dealing with stone-age technology here. Still, I have a Mac from that era that is still purring like a kitten. Just don't spend much money on hardware or software for it.

If you tell us a bit more, such as which version of Mac OS, how much RAM and hard disk space, etc., there may be more hints we can give you.

BuZZ22k
Oct 18, 2002, 07:45 AM
OS is 7.5
Ram is 24 megs
HD is like 350 megs

I go the cable that hooks into the port you are talking about. I plugged it in to my hub but saw nothing. I also tried to change in the settings from apple talk to ethernet talk. But it said there was an error. Didn't say what type. Really all I want to be able to do is split off my hub to have the enternet ont he centris.

Doctor Q
Oct 18, 2002, 12:23 PM
Good. You have plenty of RAM. You should be able to get networked with Mac OS 7.5, but it would be great if you could find a CD somewhere for a newer Mac OS, such as Mac OS 7.6.1 (the last of the 7 series). I believe Apple considers it free for licensing.

With 24MB of RAM, your Mac can run Mac OS 8.0, 8.1, or 8.5 too, but I don't think you particularly need those versions, and they might slow down the machine. I downgraded a Centris 610 from Mac OS 8 to Mac OS 7.6.1 for just that reason.

Now, about networking...

When you plug the cable into the hub, does the light on that hub port go on? Whether or not the Mac software is set up, it would be a good sign if the hub detects a signal on the cable.

By the way, here are Apple's technical specs (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112257) on your Mac.

BuZZ22k
Oct 18, 2002, 12:40 PM
No the green light is not on.

Let me tell you my set up, as this may help.

I run Windows XP and my Xbox through the hub. The cable modem goes to the usb port on my computer then a ethernet cable from a nic card in the XP machine to the hub. The xbox goes right into the hub. I had to hook it up this way to be able to use ICS on XP for the xbox. I am a beta tester for xbox live.

Doctor Q
Oct 18, 2002, 01:12 PM
Before I give up and admit that you need advice from someone more experienced than me, I'll ask two more questions:

1. Was this Mac Centris used on a network at work before the machine was given to you? That would tell us that it has working Ethernet hardware.

2. If your hub has both regular ports and an uplink port, and you temporarily plug the AAUI adapter into the uplink port instead of a regular port, do you then get a green light? That would indicate that you need a crossover (or noncrossover) cable.

Of course, anyone else out there is welcome to jump in with suggestions!

BuZZ22k
Oct 18, 2002, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your help bro, when I get home I can get more into it.

BuZZ22k
Oct 18, 2002, 05:04 PM
OK, it was used on a network. Only thing is when they cleaned them up for the sale they wiped out all the info on the HD and installed a fresh new OS. 7.5

I hooked the plug into the hub and hit the uplink... still nothing.

I went into the control panel and saw a networking option. CLick that and then I see apple talk icon and ethernet talk icon. I clicked the ethernet icon and it tells me there is an error. Thats where I am now.

Doctor Q
Oct 18, 2002, 08:27 PM
Here are some new facts that might help you get your bearings:

It would be wise to get Mac OS 7.5.5 (a free upgrade) or later because it fixes a lot of bugs in 7.5 and, more importantly, it includes Open Transport, Apple's much improved networking interface. Open Transport makes TCP/IP much more reliable than under Mac OS 7.5.

The reason that your hub doesn't see the Mac may simply be that the software needs to be set up first.

Your Mac's Ethernet port is probably not active by default. It is only turned on when you activate it by switching AppleTalk or MacTCP to use Ethernet. Which control panel were you in when you got the error message, and what was the exact text of the message?

I'm not sure I remember which control panels are in Mac OS 7.5 vs. 7.5.5. If you have an AppleTalk control panel, choose Ethernet from the "Connect via:" drop-down.

You shouldn't need to change anything in the Chooser (which you'll see in the Apple menu).

Once the software is set up, you should be able to connect to a regular hub port. If switching AppleTalk to Ethernet complains that it can't configure the port, then the Mac is not seeing an Ethernet network, so try the uplink port instead. If both fail, I suspect that you need Mac OS 7.5.5 or later.

Regarding software...

DAVE works well on the Mac, but getting a version that works on your system will be difficult. The current shipping version (4.0) only does Mac OS 8.6 and up. I don't know what version you would need. You could contact Thursby Software (http://www.thursby.com/contact/) to see if they can supply an older version.

PC MacLAN would probably make more sense. The current version works well for Windows XP and will let it talk to any Mac using AppleTalk. It must be the current version though to work on XP.

By the way, do you have a CD-ROM drive?

Since you had to wait until you got home and then posted at 3pm Pacific time, I assume you are on the east side of the U.S. (I'm on the west). Otherwise, I'd drive right over there with my Mac OS 7.6.1 CD-ROM and fix it myself!! Of course, then my dinner would get cold...