Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Thinking on buying a PowerMac G5 for £184.00

PowerPC G5 2.0GHz Dual
2GB DDR
80GB HDD with OSX 10.5 Leopard installed + iLife 08
3 USB Ports
2 Firewire 400 Ports
Superdrive - for burning CDs + DVDs
Average condition (we class it Grade C - scratches and marks present from use but fully functional)
Full working order, 3 month warranty from date of purchase.

This a good deal?

Last edited:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
In the US, I'd expect to pay about $150 for a machine like that. The hard drive is awfully small for a Power Mac, and 2 GB RAM is . . . adequate.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
In the US, I'd expect to pay about $150 for a machine like that. The hard drive is awfully small for a Power Mac, and 2 GB RAM is . . . adequate.
Is it worth buying? Hmmmm... It'd be nice to have a Power Mac and Macbook Pro 17" combo though.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Is it worth buying?

That's the question only you can answer - "worth" is a value judgment that you have to make.

It's true that having a Power Mac and a MBP would be nice, but recognize file transfer, etc., could be challenging as the PM is forever on Leopard.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
That's the question only you can answer - "worth" is a value judgment that you have to make.

It's true that having a Power Mac and a MBP would be nice, but recognize file transfer, etc., could be challenging as the PM is forever on Leopard.
Does the Power Mac consume lots of electricity?

hmmmm.... It shouldn't be a problem though :p

I'm thinking on getting the Power Mac first before I get the MBP if I do decide to get it.. hmmm...

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
A CoreDuo Mac Mini can be had for a only a little more than the PMG5. They can be upgraded to Snow Leopard and you can drop in a Core2Duo for ~£40.

What will you actually be doing with the machine?

Last edited:

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
A CoreDuo Mac Mini can be had for a only a little more than the PMG5 (it's also marginally more powerful than the 2.0 dual G5). They can be upgraded to Snow Leopard and you can drop in a Core2Duo for ~£40. IMO it's a much better option if you don't need any graphical horsepower (GMA 950) and can deal with 2GB of RAM (or 3GB after a firmware hack).
True true :)

I really want a Mac though. And it's killing me having to wait for the Ivy Bridge MBPs.

As I know if I spend £2k+ now on a MBP; I'd be gutted in 4 months when the new models come out.

Even the old iMac G5s are still quite expensive on eBay.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I wouldn't pay anything over £150 for a PowerMac G5. I'm getting eithr a dual 1.8 or 2ghz in April and are hoping to get one for between £100 and £150. I think that's too much for what it is.

In a 30 second serach I've already found this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APPLE-POW..._Desktops_CV&hash=item4cfd038ff4#ht_766wt_698

Stick 8gb RAM in there, a 320gb HDD and you're good to go :)
When could I order it? Could I get it in a few weeks?

And true, will the Powermac G5 even support 8GB RAM?

Do they use much electricity?

Thanks

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
True true :)

I really want a Mac though. And it's killing me having to wait for the Ivy Bridge MBPs.

As I know if I spend £2k+ now on a MBP; I'd be gutted in 4 months when the new models come out.

Even the old iMac G5s are still quite expensive on eBay.

Those early mac minis are within the price range of the PMG5 in your OP...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I use a PowerMac G4 as a server and as a file downloader.

You can stick multiple harddrives in it easily.

G5 is much quieter. As to price, it all depends on the price in your area.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I use a PowerMac G4 as a server and as a file downloader.

You can stick multiple harddrives in it easily.

G5 is much quieter. As to price, it all depends on the price in your area.
I see. :p The prices for the old Macs are horrible :(

What puts me buying a PPC machine on eBay is no warranty; what if something goes wrong?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If you need a file server or something very specific then it could be worth it. For general computing your only ever going to be disappointed by a pcc mac.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I don't think I could spend 150+ pounds on a PowerMac G5... thinking about it

What if something breaks?

There's no warranty or anything which sucks :(

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
You are talking about an old machine (5-7 years), so you can't expect it to be covered by a warranty. That said, a G5 will cover basic functions (email, word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, viewing non-HD videos) in a perfectly satisfactory manner.

I use my G5 for all of these on an occasional basis, and primarily as a server. I have added a sata card and equipped it with extra drives, so that it now has 6TB of storage. It is true that it uses more power than an up-to-date model, but on your monthly power bill, you won't really notice.

Old Macs do tend to hold their prices well. That said, ₤184 does seem high, though you do say they are giving you a three month warranty. In Canada, I paid ₤125 a year ago for a dual 1.8.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
You are talking about an old machine (5-7 years), so you can't expect it to be covered by a warranty. That said, a G5 will cover basic functions (email, word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, viewing non-HD videos) in a perfectly satisfactory manner.

I use my G5 for all of these on an occasional basis, and primarily as a server. I have added a sata card and equipped it with extra drives, so that it now has 6TB of storage. It is true that it uses more power than an up-to-date model, but on your monthly power bill, you won't really notice.

Old Macs do tend to hold their prices well. That said, ₤184 does seem high, though you do say they are giving you a three month warranty. In Canada, I paid ₤125 a year ago for a dual 1.8.
Yeah I see what you mean.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I don't think I could spend 150+ pounds on a PowerMac G5... thinking about it

What if something breaks?

There's no warranty or anything which sucks :(

Although PowerPC machines are aging, they're still pretty reliable and you'd have to be pretty unlucky for one to break down on you.

And if something did go wrong they're always pretty cheap to repair, so no need to worry too much :)

This is just another recommendation from me, how about looking at dual MDD's? They're pretty fly machines and will handle a lot of the stuff a G5 can. Just food for thought...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.