Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
I have never even used my iCloud e-mail address and I am getting spam like crazy. Today has been the worst by far with 15+ e-mails today.

Anyone else experiencing this? If not, I may try changing e-mail addresses.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No, no spam yet. FWIW, my GMail address is a 13-character, pseudo-random generated string with maximum entropy. Basically, it's 13 characters of a jumbled mess that I cannot even memorize.

But, in the over two years of that account, I have not received one single, solitary piece of spam in either my inbox or spam box.

My old account, which was my first two initials and last name would get 30-40 spam notes each day.

Having that weird address fools all the spam bots, because there are no 'sound-alikes' to find.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Me too

Since switching to iCloud, I've gotten a ton also. Like maybe 10+/day, and that's never happened before :(

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
No, no spam yet. FWIW, my GMail address is a 13-character, pseudo-random generated string with maximum entropy. Basically, it's 13 characters of a jumbled mess that I cannot even memorize.

But, in the over two years of that account, I have not received one single, solitary piece of spam in either my inbox or spam box.

My old account, which was my first two initials and last name would get 30-40 spam notes each day.

Having that weird address fools all the spam bots, because there are no 'sound-alikes' to find.

This may be ideal thing to do. Thanks for the advice. My email is my first and last name which is the same as my aol account. My AOL account is around 10 years old and I seldom get spam. I've had iCloud for 6ish months and it's horrible. Guess I may go the crazy word route for iCloud.

Thanks for the other replies as well.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This may be ideal thing to do. Thanks for the advice. My email is my first and last name which is the same as my aol account. My AOL account is around 10 years old and I seldom get spam. I've had iCloud for 6ish months and it's horrible. Guess I may go the crazy word route for iCloud.

Thanks for the other replies as well.

I'm guessing that Apple might not have very good or any spam filter for their email service. Or the heuristics of their engines haven't learned enough yet to start blocking the real junk and letting the good stuff through.

But with that said, it's strange that you're getting spam and I'm not. I do have an @mac.com account with my first initial and last name, and I've never gotten any spam on that account. I've had it since the .mac days.

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I don't use funky names and neither my gmail address or my @me address receives spam. My gmail of about three years has some 10 messages in the spam box and they're all newsletters from my school's bookstore.

I guess some people just have bad luck.

repete7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
The amount of spam also depends on how you use your email address. Both my gmail address and iCloud address are my first two initials and last name. I use the gmail address everywhere and it is spammed relentlessly (google's filters catch almost all of it). I don't use the iCloud address and haven't got any spam on it yet.

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
After the reading the replies, maybe I had used the email address for something quickly one day not thinking since I never use it, and it must have got added to a spam list somehow.

I created a new one. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.