Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I took this screen shot of the Apple Site, which has since been removed.

Attachments

• Apple Announces PowerBook G5 for August Availability.pdf
    136 KB · Views: 7,997

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Bern said:
Hmm, sure looks fake to me. I'd give this about a 0.0001% chance of being true. Also notice how the pinstripes are messed up on the sides at the top.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Bern said:

Already done

Please never post again. Especially as you said it was a 'screenshot of the apple site' - when it's quite obviously fake.

PaulyPants - the original threadstarter in the first post, before you felt the need to duplicate it, has two things going for him:

1) He didn't try and fool anybody into thinking it was real
2) He got there first

If you're gonna try and fool people here - at least make it realistic.

andy.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I had anticipated it to be a fake. It was actually a link posted elsewhere to that page, which I took the pdf of.

I wouldn't be too unhappy for it to be untrue I just bought a new PowerBook :eek:

Oh and pb_boi, I wasn't trying to fool anyone. It was merely something that came up in a thread in another a forum tonight. So don't be telling me never to post again, this is after all "Mac Rumors". And as I don't have the time to hang on every thread that appears on this site I obviously missed that post. I had no malicious intention as you seem to indicate.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Man, I would love a Mac with those specs. Gonna be a loooonnnng time I suspect.

ghint

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2005
I sure hope it's a fake

I sure hope it's a fake... What could they be thinking? 64MB on the 12' model? No FW 800 on the 12' model? Geez...

On the other hand... Try and "traceroute" the IP on the post. Someone metioned it resolved to a home adsl ip which was not the case for me. In fact the IP is a fully functional copy of google complete with fast find capabilities which leads me into thinking it may be a node of the google web farm...
BTW, the traceroute returns several elements on the path to the target, one of them being ip x.y.z.w.google.com...

I sure hope it's a fake... We'll just have to wait and see. The news is marked with the date June 7... 4 more days to be sure...

Cheers

P.S. - I'm not trying to fool anyone

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
"Apple announces availibility"?

Come on - at least use spell check! :D

[Edit - and we have an incorrect usage of "its/it's" in there too. Reminds me of the press releases that my old employer would put out, but not something one would expect of a megacorp such as Apple]

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Bern said:
If anyone read through the thing it would be clear as a bell that it was fake. I believe Apple would have PROOFREADERS look over their announcements. It is highly unlikely that Apple would let press releases, or any other major announcement, be published with typos all over it, especially in the headline ... AVAILIBILITY? Also see "Anticipitated" (subhead and text), "Apple Autorized" and "standalrd". :eek:

note: caught by shambolic too ... sorry sham ... missed your post

Sooper

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2005
Why didn't state your source when you posted the link then? Why didn't you state you question the authenticity?

Why did you start the topic with, and I quote, "I took this screen shot of the Apple Site, which has since been removed."

No *YOU* did NOT take this screen shot of the *Apple site*. You found a PDF at some other forum. Clearly you were being deceitful and your intentions were malicious.

Please don't ever post again.

Bern said:
I had anticipated it to be a fake. It was actually a link posted elsewhere to that page, which I took the pdf of.

I wouldn't be too unhappy for it to be untrue I just bought a new PowerBook :eek:

Oh and pb_boi, I wasn't trying to fool anyone. It was merely something that came up in a thread in another a forum tonight. So don't be telling me never to post again, this is after all "Mac Rumors". And as I don't have the time to hang on every thread that appears on this site I obviously missed that post. I had no malicious intention as you seem to indicate.

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
Perhaps the guy who made this pdf should have taken the effort (besides checking the spelling) to change the internet reference to an official apple page instead his own.

http://homepage.mac.com/dzweben/pr/jun/pbg5.html :rolleyes:
note it's not a screen dump but the actual page in html. For a screen dump he would have to change the actual address (his own) to that of apple, probably to much work. Perhaps he has a social live after all :D

btw I'll believe a powerbook G5 only when I see one officially presented. Even then still I would be looking for the catch.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
nothing worthy of note will be released at WWDC.
And Apple will be reduced to this cult-following nerd base ala Trekkies and Star Wars freaks, soon.

I mean -- two-year old Powerbook G4's? You're a brilliant salesman, SJ. Let me fork over $3000 for an outdated PB so I can buy you $1000 black turtlenecks.

These "product guesses" are as realistic as stabs at approximating the second coming ...

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
I love how the fonts don't even match between the screen cap and the actual .mac page...

I wish people would do a better job at making joke releases so then it would actually be a challenge to figure out legitimacy.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
ghint said:
I sure hope it's a fake... What could they be thinking? 64MB on the 12' model? No FW 800 on the 12' model? Geez...

Well that was 64 MB *GRAPHICS*, not main memory... that's 512MB.. to their credit... but yeah, the spelling thing is rediculous enough, not to mention it *ISN'T JUNE 7TH YET!*

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Sooper said:
Why didn't state your source when you posted the link then? Why didn't you state you question the authenticity?

Why did you start the topic with, and I quote, "I took this screen shot of the Apple Site, which has since been removed."

No *YOU* did NOT take this screen shot of the *Apple site*. You found a PDF at some other forum. Clearly you were being deceitful and your intentions were malicious.

Please don't ever post again.

Sheesh. Quite a bit of hostility on the forums these days.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Xapplimatic said:
*ISN'T JUNE 7TH YET!*

Well, that really doesn't mean much. Many companies prepare web documents to be posted long before their release. It's much easier to just have it ready than do the whole thing right then. Sometimes it just gets uploaded from the testing server to the main. I think this happened to Adobe with the CS2 suite just a bit ago.

Another thing I heard that is sort of related, but not really, but still odd: Newspapers have obituaries already typed up for many famous people so they can just insert the date and time and go to print. Thought that was funny too. Anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.