PDA

View Full Version : Macbook, Stuck on Grey screen on start-up

jadawo
Dec 30, 2011, 06:30 PM
My problem started earlier today when my 2006-era Macbook froze. I did a forced shutdown (held the powerkey down) and then tried to restart it. The screen flashed, turned on and I heard the startup chime but there was no Apple logo. After waiting a few minutes, a flashing folder with a question mark appeared.

I then tried the following: Safe-boot (held down Shift-Key), "Option/Alt"-boot, resetting the PRAM. I checked that the RAM was seated correctly, and checked if the hard drive was inserted correctly. The optical drive on the Macbook does not work so I was not able to boot to the Install DVD. The computer was running OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

After an afternoon of research (I am kind of new to computers), I was pretty sure that the hard drive was fried but to confirm it I went and grabbed my sisters Macbook (2007-era, OSX 10.5). I put the hard drive from my computer into hers to see if it was a logic board issue instead of a hard drive issue. It did not boot and I was met with the same grey screen with no Apple Logo. I then inserted the OSX 10.6 install DVD into her computer to open the disk utility because the optical drive works on that machine. The DVD eventually loaded after about 4-5 minutes and I attempted to open the Disk Utility. The screen turned black and the machine shut off. Next, I put my sister working hard drive into my broken Macbook; the drive booted perfectly! From this I deduced that the hard drive on my computer was probably fried but the logic board, RAM and other components where working fine. Does anyone have anymore tips or tricks to try? I have had to erase and install the OS once before on this hard drive but without a working optical drive I can't use the disk utility. I am afraid to load my hard drive into my sister's computer again because of how it ended when I tried it initially.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :)

tug
Dec 31, 2011, 04:55 AM
probably the only solution for you would be to get a new hdd. :(

the good side is that they are not that expensive now. :)

jadawo
Jan 1, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have bought a new hard drive and installed it but I can't get the install DVD to boot. When I start the computer and hold C the flashing folder with the question mark appears. What should I do differently?

Speeding Wheels
Jan 1, 2012, 11:27 AM
you have to press and hold the OPTION button when you press power.

jadawo
Jan 1, 2012, 12:06 PM
A cursor shows up when I hold option but there is no drive or disk to click on.

logana
Jan 1, 2012, 02:07 PM
A cursor shows up when I hold option but there is no drive or disk to click on.

Are you using your sister's MacBook when this happens ?

You have already told us that you optical drive does not work - it is not going to magically start working because you have a new hard drive....

You will need to use your sister's MacBook and put the new disk in her computer then boot from the 10.6 disc and format the new drive using Disk Utility then install 10.6 on the new hard drive.

The reason your sister's MacBook crashed last time was because your old hard disk is toast !!!

Any reason why you don't replace your faulty optical drive ?