Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mainian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys, Google has failed me (kinda).

I recently got an iPhone and decided I wanted to setup iCloud, but I have been using an Apple ID that is from like 2004 (and is used by my whole family).

For privacy sake I plan to make a new Apple ID for my laptop / iPhone but I have a question about my Lion OS X download that I purchased through my families Apple ID.

I understand that all music / purchases stay with the Apple ID (so I won't be able to listen to old music that I bought through Apple), but how does this work with my OS X Lion purchase?

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Hey guys, Google has failed me (kinda).

I recently got an iPhone and decided I wanted to setup iCloud, but I have been using an Apple ID that is from like 2004 (and is used by my whole family).

For privacy sake I plan to make a new Apple ID for my laptop / iPhone but I have a question about my Lion OS X download that I purchased through my families Apple ID.

I understand that all music / purchases stay with the Apple ID (so I won't be able to listen to old music that I bought through Apple), but how does this work with my OS X Lion purchase?

All App purchases stick with their respective Apple IDs they are purchased under. In your case, your family's Apple ID.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lion will function fine it can be used on multiple id's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.