PDA

View Full Version : Netflix - Previously Viewed TV Episodes

bunger
Dec 31, 2011, 08:11 AM
In my house, we stream Netflix through Apple TV, Samsung Smart Apps, and a Sony BluRay player ( all different TVs ).

Far and away, AppleTV has the best user interface... with one exception: all other devices provide some sort of visual indicator that you have already watched a particular TV episode. So if I am watching Friday Night Lights and have watched in a while, I can quickly see what I have already watched and what is next.

Unfortunately, AppleTV doesn't seem to make this distinction. Unless I am missing something.

Am I?

Thanks
Bill

noisycats
Dec 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
My aTV2 displays the last watched episode (if we aborted part way through) or the next episode in the queue if we finished the preceding episode.

In fact, we can alternate between the LG Netflix app and the aTV2 Netflix app and the next 'available' show is correctly displayed.

bunger
Dec 31, 2011, 08:44 AM
My aTV2 displays the last watched episode (if we aborted part way through) or the next episode in the queue if we finished the preceding episode.

In fact, we can alternate between the LG Netflix app and the aTV2 Netflix app and the next 'available' show is correctly displayed.

Mine does that also. But if you totally leave that series queue ( ie., to watch something else ) and then go back to it, it is nearly impossible to tell which episode you should watch next.

On the both the Sony and the Samsung, unwatched episodes appear in Bold ( Sony ) or they display how many minutes of each episode has been watched ( Samsun and iPad app )....

noisycats
Dec 31, 2011, 08:49 AM
If we leave the series and return, we seem to return to the next available show. Same as if we go to the Netflix website, the last episode is displayed in the "recently streamed" section.

Yes, I agree, there doesn't seem to be an indication of which episodes have been watched. I hadn't noticed because it wasn't an issue for us...the next show in sequence is queued and waiting.

slothrob
Dec 31, 2011, 09:12 AM
That's the way it works on the aTV2 for me, as well. Even if I leave the menu, or Netflix entirely, when I come back to that show, it is cued up to the next unwatched episode. It has occasionally been cued to the last episode that I already watched, instead, but that has been rare.

bunger
Dec 31, 2011, 09:19 AM
That's the way it works on the aTV2 for me, as well. Even if I leave the menu, or Netflix entirely, when I come back to that show, it is cued up to the next unwatched episode. It has occasionally been cued to the last episode that I already watched, instead, but that has been rare.

I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old that LOVE the various TV series ( Dora, Munsters, Adams Family, etc ) and have a tendency to jump around. When they do that, I can't never figure out which eps they have already watched... unless I use the Sony or the Samsung...

slothrob
Dec 31, 2011, 09:59 AM
Oh, I see, since you (or your kids) aren't watching them in order, the system doesn't work for you the way it works for me.

bunger
Dec 31, 2011, 10:02 AM
Oh, I see, since you (or your kids) aren't watching them in order, the system doesn't work for you the way it works for me.

Correct

balamw
Dec 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old that LOVE the various TV series ( Dora, Munsters, Adams Family, etc ) and have a tendency to jump around.

If they are anything like mine were they want to watch the same episode over and over and don't care that they've watched it before. Watching something new is only important to preserve the parents' sanity. :p

I wish they implemented it the way they do on the iPad app or with iTunes content.

B

mr.steevo
Aug 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Digging up an old thread.

We just bought an ATV 3 and sold the PS3. The first thing we noticed with the Netflix app is the lack of indication of what episodes we've already watched.

It's annoying and I wish a dot or an underscore would be added to previously watched shows.

Please?

SandboxGeneral
Aug 28, 2012, 03:47 PM

We just bought an ATV 3 and sold the PS3. The first thing we noticed with the Netflix app is the lack of indication of what episodes we've already watched.

It's annoying and I wish a dot or an underscore would be added to previously watched shows.

Please?

This just changed in the last week or so. My ATV2 was acting squirrelly so I restarted it and the Netflix Recently Watched menu item disappeared. Then a few days later my ATV3 did the same thing and now it's gone as well.

I am disappointed in this because I used that menu item a lot when I would start to watch a series or show and hadn't added it to my instant queue yet.

SandboxGeneral
Aug 29, 2012, 03:51 PM

Please?

This just changed in the last week or so. My ATV2 was acting squirrelly so I restarted it and the Netflix Recently Watched menu item disappeared. Then a few days later my ATV3 did the same thing and now it's gone as well.

I am disappointed in this because I used that menu item a lot when I would start to watch a series or show and hadn't added it to my instant queue yet.

Well just as soon as I post something, that menu item reappears on my ATV2 & ATV3 just as iTunes Festival makes it's debut. Perhaps many people complained to Apple and/or Netflix about it and they put it back.

Rushli0n
Aug 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
In comparing it to the Netflix experience on my PS3, would it be that difficult to implement the PS3 feature of autoplaying the next episode? Is that possible and I am missing something? The PS3 just started doing it so I think it is new, but very welcomed when you watching an entire series. It just plays the next ep after like 10 seconds.

SandboxGeneral
Aug 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
In comparing it to the Netflix experience on my PS3, would it be that difficult to implement the PS3 feature of autoplaying the next episode? Is that possible and I am missing something? The PS3 just started doing it so I think it is new, but very welcomed when you watching an entire series. It just plays the next ep after like 10 seconds.

No it isn't possible (yet) to do that. Perhaps in the jailbreak world it is, but I don't know much about that side of iOS.

WesCole
Aug 30, 2012, 04:59 PM

It is new...they are slowly rolling this feature out to all devices, but I haven't seen a concrete data for the ATV to get it.