Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jluce50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I was under the impression that if I set a Reminder to alert me when I leave my house that it should alert me as I'm pulling out of my driveway. However, when I do this I usually get a couple miles down the road before the alert is triggered. On one occasion I had gotten on the freeway and gone about 10 miles before I was reminded. Kinda defeats the purpose...

Is this par for the course or is there something wrong here?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I was under the impression that if I set a Reminder to alert me when I leave my house that it should alert me as I'm pulling out of my driveway. However, when I do this I usually get a couple miles down the road before the alert is triggered. On one occasion I had gotten on the freeway and gone about 10 miles before I was reminded. Kinda defeats the purpose...

Is this par for the course or is there something wrong here?

Possible your GPS struggled to get your location, or the fence around your house was huge when you set it up.

jluce50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
This happens consistently in numerous locations. In Maps it's able to pinpoint my location in about 2-3 seconds. I'm pretty sure it's not a GPS issue...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

When you set the reminder well before go into the maps app and see if the dot is pulsing on your house with no ring around it. If there is a ring the location is off. Depending on your Internet service provider turning wifi off will help if your indoors. If your outdoors a clear view of the sky will lock you in perfectly. Your 'geofence' will be spot on!!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

When you set the reminder well before go into the maps app and see if the dot is pulsing on your house with no ring around it. If there is a ring the location is off. Depending on your Internet service provider turning wifi off will help if your indoors. If your outdoors a clear view of the sky will lock you in perfectly. Your 'geofence' will be spot on!!

True.

Though, if he was at his house, then his location would most likely have been determined by his internet connection.

When you set the reminder, did you have the triangle in the menu bar for the duration until you left your house?

jluce50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I'm honestly not sure. I set a location Reminder a few minutes ago and in checking periodically it does appear that it stays on. Perhaps I inadvertently closed the Reminder app (i.e. it wasn't running in the background) and that's what caused the delay. I don't think that's the case though...

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
Sometimes I get reminded when I leave my room to go downstairs to eat or something, when I wanted to be reminded when I left the house.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I'm honestly not sure. I set a location Reminder a few minutes ago and in checking periodically it does appear that it stays on. Perhaps I inadvertently closed the Reminder app (i.e. it wasn't running in the background) and that's what caused the delay. I don't think that's the case though...

I don't think it matters if you close the app? Not 100% sure but I'd assume it doesn't :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.