Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svasio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hello all, my mother has a 4th gen iPod Touch, and loves the Words With Friends app. Recently she has been noticing a strange chime sound when the app updates. It is super annoying since she plays the dang game all day long. All you hear is DING....DING...DING...

Anyway, I have tried everything I can think of. Updating the app, deleting the app and re-synching it, resetting the iPod, shutting off the sounds in the app and also in settings. Nothing. Still with the chime. I've also searched online and haven't come across any fixes.

I know perfectly well she could mute the entire iPod, and I'm not looking for that as a solution, otherwise I would have done so. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance :)

jgs

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Must be something new, I have that same game and noticed that chime going off this evening. It wasn't doing it last night, very annoying. This forum post was the first (and only) one that I could find while searching.

I hope it gets pulled in the next update, or at least an option to turn it off.

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
The chime occurs when the games are updated. Very annoying and completely agree that it needs to go. So far, haven't figured out a way to turn it off. I don't want to turn off all sounds but might have to go that way if this isn't fixed soon :-(.

Nick16

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
FL
I've been playing Words for probably about a year now and just about an hour ago (despite being addicted for the past few days playing with relatives who have it on their new Apple devices) heard the chiming for the first time ever... and it just kept repeatedly doing it. Glad to know I'm not the only one and that I'm not going insane. Though it does need to go. Or at least provide an option to turn it off.

svasio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Glad I'm not the only one!! Hope it gets fixed in the next update.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Very annoying, I have the same issue here.

Here is hoping for a speedy fix!

TallJason

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Same problem here

I've had to turn off the sounds because I can't stand it. I logged it as a bug. It is in no way a feature from my prospective. It only makes sense if it were a different sound from the 'message' feature and only beeped with it was your turn to play.

Zandermannnn

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
This just started happening to me about an hour ago. Around the same time, one of my games messed up and did not show any played words on the board board. The person I was playing against could see all the played words still. The game would also keep disappearing under your turn. I ended up just starting a new game. I am playing on an iPhone 4s.

butguesswhat

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Strange ringing noise

I'm having the same issue just started yesterday. I checked all my games to see if there was a message left on one since its the same noise just to find no message. It is very annoying

roseodonnell

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
So happy to read that it's not me!

I posted a question about this yesterday on another thread... what a relief to know it isn't me and that it IS Words with Friends. I suspected it but hadn't quite proved it to myself. I followed the link (thank you) and posted a complaint. We'll see if they are working on the holiday weekend... :)

littleblack

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Hate it!

My chime started a couple of days ago. I really want it to GO AWAY! Please give us the option to turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.