Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Hello everyone,

I recently started thinking of switching to Mac but was astonished by the amount of tension and speculations about the coming updates.

What i don't understand is how do apple manage to keep their coming updates secret?!! If i'm not wrong, making such updates will have to go through designers, engineers, suppliers of all sorts of needed electronics, labourers who assemble the computers, people who pack them, delivery people, etc, etc.

How exactly do they manage to keep it secret?!!! :confused:

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Because everyone who is in the "know" of unreleased Apple products has to sign and NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

Basically it states that if you tell anyone about this we will take legal action against you.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They hire Amish mutes. ;) No photos, no internet, no way to tell people!

Okay, they don't.

I just think that they somehow prevent as many packers as possible from knowing exactly what they are packing into the boxes by covering up each box with something and asking people not to take it off.

And as for the engineers and designers......well, maybe they WANT to keep this a secret from the world because they get a kick out of surprising people. And those engineers who let out the secret are found and booted, and maybe sued for breaking their NDA.

Keeping employees happy with bonuses because the info didn't leak beforehand may also be something.

Not sure, really. ;)

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
That, and Apple manages far more of its own stuff than many other companies out there. Engineers and designers keep it quiet because their stock (assuming many of them own stock in their own company) skyrockets every time Apple slips something new and exciting under the radar.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Abstract said:
They hire Amish mutes. ;) No photos, no internet, no way to tell people!

Hee. I know it's a joke and all, but the Amish use cell phones. And have been seen in Wal Marts (when it's really hot, there is AC in there). And no, I am not Amish. :p

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
devilot76 said:
Hee. I know it's a joke and all, but the Amish use cell phones. And have been seen in Wal Marts (when it's really hot, there is AC in there). And no, I am not Amish. :p

Not all of them. From my understanding, it's up to the local bishop to determine what they can and can't do regarding technology. We have amish that drive cars around here, but then there are some here that can't even have window blinds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.