PDA

View Full Version : How can I connect my MacBook to my Toshiba 55g31 HDTV?

appleian
Dec 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hello! I have a toshiba 55g31 HDTV and would like to connect it to use as a monitor for my MacBook that has the following:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

I have connected the MiniDisplay to VGA Adapter and connected it to the VGA connector on the Toshiba. I am totally a newbie at this, so I really don't have a clue as to what to do now. I have Comcast Cable on the TV as well. When I connect the MacBook I don't see the computer screen on the TV, just the show that is on the TV station. Do I need to have the TV on a particular station? When I go to "detect displays" it shows a LCD and a VGA, so I feel that I have made the connection. I have tried unchecking "mirror Displays" but it doesn't make a difference. As I said, I am a newbie at connecting to a TV so any simplified instructions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Senex
Dec 31, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hello! I have a toshiba 55g31 HDTV and would like to connect it to use as a monitor for my MacBook that has the following:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

I have connected the MiniDisplay to VGA Adapter and connected it to the VGA connector on the Toshiba. I am totally a newbie at this, so I really don't have a clue as to what to do now. I have Comcast Cable on the TV as well. When I connect the MacBook I don't see the computer screen on the TV, just the show that is on the TV station. Do I need to have the TV on a particular station? When I go to "detect displays" it shows a LCD and a VGA, so I feel that I have made the connection. I have tried unchecking "mirror Displays" but it doesn't make a difference. As I said, I am a newbie at connecting to a TV so any simplified instructions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

If I'm correct as to the model of MacBook you have (2009 unibody?) on the left side, you should find a small port called a "Mini Display Port" ...it is shaped like a sideways "D" and, aside from the headphone jack, is the smallest port on the side of the machine.

Your television has HDMI digital inputs, so you'll need to obtain an adapter that's Mini Display to HDMI ...like this one (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TY600VC/A).

Once connected to your television, find the correct "input" on your TV for that specific HDMI location into which you've plugged the cable, and you'll have your 55-inch monitor.

appleian
Jan 5, 2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks so much for the link and detailed info! God bless you!!!:)

dontwalkhand
Jan 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
If the TV is still showing video from the cable box, it just means you have to switch the input to "VGA" or "PC" on the TV.

You got it all right with the Mini-DP to VGA adapter, that was a good start :).

....After that I recommend purchasing the Apple BT Keyboard/Magic Mouse to use with your new 55" Monitor :)

appleian
Jan 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all of the great info! I purchased the Griffin Mini Display Port to HDMI but my MacBook isn't detaecting the display? I have a comcast DVR so I'm not sure if that is causing a problem with the configuration. I've plugged the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on my Toshiba TV and the Griffin Mini Display Port adapter to my MacBook but it is not detecting the Toshiba as a display? I am designating the HDMI 2 port that I have it plugged into as the Input on the Toshiba remote. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

unixperience
Jan 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
i can't help you with the HDMI, in my opinion, hdmi is always a bit finicky, but have you tried the vga again? That cable and adapter will work fine, you just have to switch the tv input. hit the input button on the remote till it goes to pc

i looked at the manual for the tv and over vga it has weird resolutions, the highest one is 1280x1024(60hz),

with hdmi you should be able to get 1920x1080p at 60Hz, just make sure you are using the right hdmi input. sometimes you might need to have the tv on the right input before the macbook will find it. Open up the display preferences and jsut clik "detect displays" again, hopefully the image will show up. also make sure your macbook is at the proper resolution or you may not get an image. the resolutions are on page 56 of the manual for your tv... if you've misplaced it, heres a link http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/manuals/userguides/su2979064/32C110U_40E210U_46G310U_55G310U_OM.pdf

appleian
Jan 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks,but still no success. Help!

dontwalkhand
Jan 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks,but still no success. Help!

Can you tell me what happens when you use VGA? It sounds like you didn't switch to the right inputs.

appleian
Jan 21, 2012, 10:08 PM
Nothing... it just continues to be blank even after I change the input on the TV remote. Thanks!

unixperience
Jan 24, 2012, 01:53 AM
sometimes the computers dont like it if the device isn't on before you plug it. SO try switching the tv to "PC" then plug in the little vga dongle to your laptop