PDA

View Full Version : Movie Title (Year) DVDRip XviD Questions

wrinkster22
Dec 31, 2011, 11:18 PM
Some of us are aware of the recent floodings of the newsfeed where people create threads that say: Movie Title (Year) DVDRip XviD.
Well it is nice that these threads are always deleted I find it quite annoying to see the "spy" filled with these. Also it is disappointing that these users are not banned.

1) Can you somehow clean the spy up. (After the thread is deleted it goes away) *

2) Ban these users.

*I know refreshing gets rid of them but they coms so quickly.. Any Solutions?

GGJstudios
Dec 31, 2011, 11:20 PM
I was informed not to try to report those spammers, as the mods are already aware of them. The Forum Spy flooding is still a problem. My solution is to add the spammer to my ignore list, then refresh Spy once. No more flooding.

Also, there is a thread on this topic: Spammers (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1294532)

igucl
Dec 31, 2011, 11:29 PM
It does seem strange that we aren't able to ban these spammers.

It appears to be the same two usernames over and over.

BreakGuy
Dec 31, 2011, 11:31 PM
As GGJ does, I just add them to my ignore list - problem solved (for me at least ;) )

GGJstudios
Dec 31, 2011, 11:32 PM
It does seem strange that we aren't able to ban these spammers.

It appears to be the same two usernames over and over.
No, they're not the same usernames. They create new accounts after the old ones are banned.

arn
Jan 1, 2012, 12:20 AM
Some of us are aware of the recent floodings of the newsfeed where people create threads that say: Movie Title (Year) DVDRip XviD.
Well it is nice that these threads are always deleted I find it quite annoying to see the "spy" filled with these. Also it is disappointing that these users are not banned.

1) Can you somehow clean the spy up. (After the thread is deleted it goes away) *

2) Ban these users.

*I know refreshing gets rid of them but they coms so quickly.. Any Solutions?

This is a spy bug more than anything. Those posts aren't showing up for anyone else and are being caught in a filter.

We'll just have to figure out why they are showing up in some user's spy.

arn

Damo01
Jan 1, 2012, 03:58 AM
I saw this as well couple days ago.

Hellhammer
Jan 1, 2012, 07:04 AM
This is a spy bug more than anything. Those posts aren't showing up for anyone else and are being caught in a filter.

arn

Knox told me he is on it. He said it's not all that simple though.

wrinkster22
Jan 1, 2012, 09:28 AM

arn

Thanks for all of your responses, and I am flatered that a Macrumors God responded to one of my forums! Well I will try adding them to my ignore list. Is there a real reason why the same 2 users posting them just wont be banned?

Thanks again & Happy New Year

GGJstudios
Jan 1, 2012, 10:19 AM
Is there a real reason why the same 2 users posting them just wont be banned?
They have been banned. As I said in my last post, the spammers just create new accounts after being banned.

arkitect
Jan 1, 2012, 12:18 PM
This is actually getting quite silly…

Fingers crossed the "bug" gets fixed soon.
:)

arn
Jan 1, 2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all of your responses, and I am flatered that a Macrumors God responded to one of my forums! Well I will try adding them to my ignore list. Is there a real reason why the same 2 users posting them just wont be banned?

Thanks again & Happy New Year

Moderated threads kind of go into a black hole. Since no one reports them (since most people don't see them), moderators don't respond to them.

So they just sit in limbo. If it wasn't for the spy bug, no one would ever see them.

I did ban these users, but I expect more will follow.

arn

SandboxGeneral
Jan 2, 2012, 10:19 AM
Is there a way to determine if these spammers are human's registering the accounts or bots that are able to get past the image verification used while registering?

http://www.sbgdata.com/data/Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 11.16.57 AM.png

Damo01
Jan 3, 2012, 04:58 AM
I'm seeing this spy bug again....

GGJstudios
Jan 3, 2012, 04:59 AM
I'm seeing this spy bug again....
Add the spammer to your ignore list.

annk
Jan 3, 2012, 07:35 AM
I believe Knox may have figured out what needed to be done, and fixed it now. :)

arkitect
Jan 7, 2012, 04:44 AM
…they're baaaaack…
:(

BreakGuy
Jan 7, 2012, 04:49 AM
Anyone have any ideas as to why they'd only be posting in the Apple TV and Home Theater forum?

Wouldn't true spammers spread their carnage all over the board?

simsaladimbamba
Jan 7, 2012, 04:51 AM
Anyone have any ideas as to why they'd only be posting in the Apple TV and Home Theater forum?

Wouldn't true spammers spread their carnage all over the board?

Just wait. They will spread, I guess they are bots and still don't realise, that their threads haven't been posted yet. I guess no one checks on them.

arkitect
Jan 7, 2012, 05:12 AM
Ignore list doesn't help much either. They just keep coming with new names.
SpamBots 3 — MR 0

Hellhammer
Jan 7, 2012, 05:16 AM
…they're baaaaack…
:(

Banned.

We are looking into some IP bans as well but it's unlikely that it will stop these. I'll also notify Knox.

arkitect
Jan 7, 2012, 05:22 AM
Banned.

We are looking into some IP bans as well but it's unlikely that it will stop these. I'll also notify Knox.

Let's hope it stops today's influx.

Thanks. :)

GGJstudios
Jan 7, 2012, 05:24 AM
Ignore list doesn't help much either. They just keep coming with new names.
SpamBots 3 — MR 0
They don't come back too frequently.... maybe 1 or 2 bots every day or two. It seems they usually show up when there are no mods online, so they get in several dozen posts before being caught. Ignoring them works well enough, but it could be much easier if there was an "Ignore User" link, both on each post (along with "Add username to Your Contacts"), and on each user's profile page, rather than this process:

Right-click on the user's name in Forum Spy and "Copy Link Title"
Click "User CP"
Click "Edit Ignore List"
Paste user name
Click "Okay"
Click "Save changes"
Close User CP page

It would be also great to have a "Report Spammer" link that would add them to your ignore list and also send a report to the mods, although I can see how that could be abused. It would also be nice if when a user is banned, they automatically fall off any ignore lists.

BreakGuy
Jan 7, 2012, 05:32 AM
They don't come back too frequently.... maybe 1 or 2 bots every day or two. It seems they usually show up when there are no mods online, so they get in several dozen posts before being caught. Ignoring them works well enough, but it could be much easier if there was an "Ignore User" link, both on each post (along with "Add username to Your Contacts"), and on each user's profile page, rather than this process:

Right-click on the user's name in Forum Spy and "Copy Link Title"
Click "User CP"
Click "Edit Ignore List"
Paste user name
Click "Okay"
Click "Save changes"
Close User CP page

It would be also great to have a "Report Spammer" link that would add them to your ignore list and also send a report to the mods, although I can see how that could be abused. It would also be nice if when a user is banned, they automatically fall off any ignore lists.You can add these users to your ignore list directly from their profile.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2itrabo.png

GGJstudios
Jan 7, 2012, 05:35 AM
You can add these users to your ignore list directly from their profile.

Image (http://i43.tinypic.com/2itrabo.png)
Thanks! I could have sworn I had seen that before, but when I couldn't find it again, I figured I had imagined it! Chalk it up to another "senior moment"! :D

arkitect
Jan 7, 2012, 05:39 AM
it could be much easier if there was an "Ignore User" link, both on each post (along with "Add username to Your Contacts"), and on each user's profile page, rather than this process:
I agree it would be great if it was made easier to add a spammer to the Ignore list.

GGJstudios
Jan 7, 2012, 05:49 AM
I always see them in FS, and it's baffling why some are able to see them and others don't.

BreakGuy
Jan 7, 2012, 05:52 AM
That's the strange part. I always see them in FS, and it's baffling why some are able to see them and others don't.I seem them too, before I ignore them.