Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curtrice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I have been having problems of the type described elsewhere, with multiple copies of Address Book entries and Calendars. Before working with the calendars, I decided to see if I could get the Address Book entries in order. But the tip I found was about MobileMe and not iCloud, and it now seems that there is a crucial difference, namely not being able to overwrite iCloud from my Mac. I wonder if that's really true. Tips?

I went through the Address Book on my MacBookAir, deleting all duplicates.
I backed it up.
I turned off iCloud syncing on my Air, iMac, iPad and iPhone.
I deleted all entries from all address books, both on the devices and on iCloud.
I imported the backed up file on my Air into Address Book.

So far, so good.

But when I import, the entries are visible only for a couple of seconds, and then they are gone, presumably because it is overwritten with the (now empty) contact list from iCloud.

When I turn of WiFi, this doesn't happen, but as soon as I turn it on, it happens again.

My guess is that the problem, as noted, is that my Air gets overwritten by the iCloud. What I need to do is overwrite iCloud Address Book from my Air, and then turn on iCloud on other devices, and everything should be right. Right?

So, again, tips on how to overwrite iCloud are welcome.

(Maybe I need to delete my iCloud account from the devices, then create a new one. But I'm concerned this is going to make my now impressive calendar problems even worse. Preview: Not only are calendars and entries duplicated, but in "list" mode on my iPhone, actual days are duplicated, although not the content on those days!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.