Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Okay so my power adapter broke last night for for my mbp. I needed one immediately so I went to the apple store today and bought new one. They are much cheaper on amazon. Can I order from Amazon, and return that one to apple with the apple receipt?

Thanks

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
how much do you save for the hassle? 25 bucks? not worth it IMHO. it costs you more than an hour to order/exchange the thing.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
they didn't just give you one that works? That is bizzare to me because I never get apple care and they just give me **** for free when I go there and say something doesn't work. I remember my 1st macbook in 2005, 3 years later the charger didn't work took it to the apple store and they gave me a new/refurbished one for free but kept the old one.

As for the switch, as long as it doesn't have a serial # you are fine. You wouldn't be able to do that with a computer or an iphone tho

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
He didn't ask about ethics - make sure you dont go over the speed limit this week.

Can't speak for you, of course....

But I see a general trend in today's society.

We are very quick to call corporations, executives, and politicians "crooked" and "dirty" when they do similar things - but as soon as one of the "common folks" gets something for nothing we applaud them. The only difference is the number of zeros after $$.

The ethics we want our corps and governments to exhibit are learned here, in the trenches. And ethics - or the lack thereof - is learned. From our parents and our peer groups (like MR).

So if you think the world is going to hell-in-a-handbasket, don't look too far.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Can't speak for you, of course....

But I see a general trend in today's society.

We are very quick to call corporations, executives, and politicians "crooked" and "dirty" when they do similar things - but as soon as one of the "common folks" gets something for nothing we applaud them. The only difference is the number of zeros after $$.

The ethics we want our corps and governments to exhibit are learned here, in the trenches. And ethics - or the lack thereof - is learned. From our parents and our peer groups (like MR).

So if you think the world is going to hell-in-a-handbasket, don't look too far.

I almost completely agree with you. But that OP didn't ask is what he wanted to do was ethical.

On a side note - Apple and him entered an agreement that he can return the exact same product for a complete refund for 15 days.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I almost completely agree with you. But that OP didn't ask is what he wanted to do was ethical.

This isn't questions and answers. It is requests for help and replies that try to help. If someone feels that giving ethical guidance would help the poster, then this advice should be given, even if there is no explicit question. I will always assume that anyone is trying to better themselves.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

On a side note - Apple and him entered an agreement that he can return the exact same product for a complete refund for 15 days.

Which is why I didn't respond to the OP's post. I was responding to the person who raised the ethics issue in the 1st place. The agreement the OP has with Apple is that they have the right to return a product bought from Apple - not an Apple product bought from Amazon - which is how I read the 1st post. OP buys from Apple, then buys from Amazon, and now wants to return the Amazon product using the Apple receipt from the product still in use.

Ironically, if the OP took the Apple product back (after buying the Amazon product) - I wouldn't have a problem with that. Apple has built the cost of these kinds of returns into the price we pay - and they know a certain number are going to come back - because of the 15 day return policy. [This is assuming that Apple will take it back.]

I know it seems that what the OP wants to do appears to be the same thing as returning the Apple bought charger, but it's not. Just change the scenario. A politician takes home taxpayer bought office equipment for a week and uses it for personal gain. He/She then brings back to the office the exact same product (but bought somewhere else for cheaper). Starts to smell a little fishy now, eh?

All I'm saying that is that we need to hold the corporate executives and politicians to the same ethical standards that we demand of each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.