PDA

View Full Version : Broken Charger? Serial?

alksion
Jan 2, 2012, 03:12 AM
Long story short, I went to the Apple Store to get my iMac repaired and also brought in one of my old white mag safe chargers that doesn't work anymore.

The guy working there said he could swap it out, he just needed a serial number. He looked up my info and couldn't find one. Then he said to just grab the serial when I went get back home and bring it with me when I pick up the iMac and they'll swap it out.

Problem is that I have a new unibody white MacBook, which I got a new charger with. I do not have the serial for my old MacBook that I sold and cannot trace it down whatsoever.

Should I just give him the serial of my new MacBook or can I just use a friends possibly?

Any input is greatly Appreciated!

orvn
Jan 2, 2012, 12:40 PM
Long story short, I went to the Apple Store to get my iMac repaired and also brought in one of my old white mag safe chargers that doesn't work anymore.

The guy working there said he could swap it out, he just needed a serial number. He looked up my info and couldn't find one. Then he said to just grab the serial when I went get back home and bring it with me when I pick up the iMac and they'll swap it out.

Problem is that I have a new unibody white MacBook, which I got a new charger with. I do not have the serial for my old MacBook that I sold and cannot trace it down whatsoever.

Should I just give him the serial of my new MacBook or can I just use a friends possibly?

Any input is greatly Appreciated!

Is your old adapter your the old kind of magsafe (with the white tip)?

If your new adapter and the old faulty one have the same tip (I'm guessing silver), I'd just bring in my old adapter with the new Macbook. They won't know the difference.

If they're different on the other hand, you're in a trickier situation: can you track down the person you sold it to? Did you register your device online with your AppleID at any point?

If not, your best bet will be to find a friend with an older Macbook still under AppleCare..

alksion
Jan 2, 2012, 02:18 PM
No they are different adapters. New one that works is the silver one and the old one that doesn't work is the white tip one..

What do you think? I'm not trying to cheat them or anything, but I had to buy a replacement one that I sold with my old MacBook and now I heard they're replacing them for free!

orvn
Jan 2, 2012, 05:34 PM
Well, without your information hooked up to your AppleID or access to that serial number, I'd find a friend with an older Macbook or something.

If none of the above are an option and you're willing to do so, the only alternative would be to go to the Apple store, bring your new machine + old charger and mention everything you said here in a convincing manner, particularly noting that you're not trying to cheat their system, but you've tried everything to get your old serial number to no avail.

Most Apple store employees are pretty competent, and if you get the right one, you might be in luck.

If you have a receipt for the Magsafe you purchased, I'm sure that would help.

Good luck.

LuvKaya
Jan 2, 2012, 05:40 PM
I replaced my white chargers for free at the Apple store. They didnt ask me for a serial number or anything like that. I gave them the old and they gave me the new silver charger. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the swap.

minifridge1138
Jan 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
They asked me for a Serial Number as well. When they ran it, the saw that it too old to qualify for a free replacement.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

alksion
Jan 3, 2012, 01:04 AM
Most Apple store employees are pretty competent, and if you get the right one, you might be in luck.

Good luck.

I guess that's all I can hope for now.

I replaced my white chargers for free at the Apple store. They didnt ask me for a serial number or anything like that.

Really, I find that extremely weird.. Lucky you though..

They asked me for a Serial Number as well. When they ran it, the saw that it too old to qualify for a free replacement.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

I hope I do this time around..

I'll let you know how it goes

orvn
Jan 3, 2012, 05:00 PM
Everytime I've replaced my adapters they've noted my serial no.

However when my wife- who is in her mid-20's, cute and charismatic- tried, they just gave her a new adapter without checking anything. Even gave her an 85 watt one instead of a 65.

Ankit1088
Jan 4, 2012, 12:29 PM
I when into Mac Authority (Authorized Dealer) here is Chattanooga, TN and they opened up a claim with Apple. I also had an old white Macbook, but now have a new unibody (I also kept my old charger along with my new one so I have a back up when needed). I explained I got a new computer so I have a different serial number and that if they needed I could get the old one. They said it should be fine and that they will just use the new serial from my new unibody. The main serials they want are the ones on the charging adapter itself. One serial number to the old one and one form the new one just to show that it was swapped. I think the computer serial number is just to state that you were taken care of and not going to switch out a bunch of adapters to make profit or whatever

alksion
Jan 4, 2012, 03:32 PM
I when into Mac Authority (Authorized Dealer) here is Chattanooga, TN and they opened up a claim with Apple. I also had an old white Macbook, but now have a new unibody (I also kept my old charger along with my new one so I have a back up when needed). I explained I got a new computer so I have a different serial number and that if they needed I could get the old one. They said it should be fine and that they will just use the new serial from my new unibody. The main serials they want are the ones on the charging adapter itself. One serial number to the old one and one form the new one just to show that it was swapped. I think the computer serial number is just to state that you were taken care of and not going to switch out a bunch of adapters to make profit or whatever

Awesome, but my broken charger has a different serial then my current unibody white MacBook. Do you think that will still be okay if I just give them my serial to my current MacBook? And do they give you a new on in box or just a refurb?

Thanks for all the help!

Ankit1088
Jan 4, 2012, 08:57 PM
Awesome, but my broken charger has a different serial then my current unibody white MacBook. Do you think that will still be okay if I just give them my serial to my current MacBook? And do they give you a new on in box or just a refurb?

Thanks for all the help!

Ya you can give the serial to your current Macbook. They must be refurbished I assume. They only give the charger itself no AC adapters and mine came in a bag.

alksion
Jan 5, 2012, 12:53 AM
Ya you can give the serial to your current Macbook. They must be refurbished I assume. They only give the charger itself no AC adapters and mine came in a bag.

Is bad if I am doing it to resale it? Because what I do with it is my business right?

Ankit1088
Jan 5, 2012, 10:07 AM
Is bad if I am doing it to resale it? Because what I do with it is my business right?

Ya they won't know what you'll be doing with it.

alksion
Jan 5, 2012, 03:21 PM
Ya they won't know what you'll be doing with it.

Okay, well it's settled, I am just going to give them my current MacBook's serial.

Thanks everyone for the help!

thundersteele
Jan 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
I would recommend not putting a warranty/repair record on your newer macbook. When my logic board broke outside of any warranty windows, I was offered a reduced fee flat rate repair ($310), compared to the normal cost of $700 for just replacing the logic board. The genius that took care of me explained that he could make this offer because my macbook had no previous repair record.

I'm not sure whether this is standard policy or whatever, just my personal experience.

alksion
Jan 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
I would recommend not putting a warranty/repair record on your newer macbook. When my logic board broke outside of any warranty windows, I was offered a reduced fee flat rate repair ($310), compared to the normal cost of $700 for just replacing the logic board. The genius that took care of me explained that he could make this offer because my macbook had no previous repair record.

I'm not sure whether this is standard policy or whatever, just my personal experience.

You have a very valid point, but I plan on selling this thing not too long from now, so I don't really care so much..

But good point nonetheless

BL4zD
Jan 10, 2012, 04:44 AM
Don't use a friend's serial because then he or she won't be able to get the replacement.

The reason they want the serial is because only a certain range of the MacBooks are covered for this problem and Apple has a policy to only replace like with like. That means they can't replace your older tip with a newer silver one based on your new serial...because they can only give you a silver one for the silver one that came with the newer macbook.

I had a similar issue about a month ago but I called Apple Care after the store couldn't do the exchange. I mean they were really cool about it, if someone had been home to call and give the info via phone they would have accepted it, but no one was home and no older macbook was home anyway :|

I managed to come up with an acceptable serial number but I didn't want to go back to the store empty handed figuring they might wonder why I came in a second time without macbook in hand. I called Apple Care and talked for a bit and had him approve the serial and the exchange. I walked in the store and handed them the charger and said it's in the computer.

Short version: get an attractive woman who can manage an exchange but not much else in terms of computer expertise *or* deal with Apple Care over the phone and see what they can do for you.

LuvKaya
Jan 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah I think it boils down to who you have helping you at the Apple store. Like I said, no one asked me for serial number. I was surprised reading the post cause I had no problems with the exchange.

wrinkster22
Jan 10, 2012, 05:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Could anyone please post or PM me there serial number? I have two broken 60 watt chargers with no SN
TIA

alksion
Jan 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
I exchanged an old white tip one from an older MacBook with the serial from my new unibody white MacBook.

ltjlily17
Jan 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
I just got a new adapter this week. My boss gave me his MBP when he got a new one, but not an adapter so I was using the adapter from my White MacBook.

I went into a MacTown, no Apple stores here, and they just wanted to see "the laptop I was using it with". I told them that it wasn't the one that came with it.

The adapter had separated at the brick end instead of the usual connector end, but the info from Apple said they would replace defects on both ends. Fortunately, I had printed out the info from Apples site, cuz I was told at first they wouldn't replace it.

As far as I know, they will not give you a new one unless they can read the serial off of a computer themselves.

BL4zD
Jan 11, 2012, 01:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Could anyone please post or PM me there serial number? I have two broken 60 watt chargers with no SN
TIA
It's one replacement per customer per serial number.
If someone gives you their serial number they won't be able to obtain the replacement themselves.

Furthermore, for those of you who bought chargers you can provide proof of purchase and Apple will refund you based on when you bought the accessory (within a year you get 80%, within two years you get 50%, etc.)