Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r17z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Right so i'm currently in the uk where AppleCare costs £279, I have a friend in Hong Kong where AppleCare works out to be about £225. Would there be a problem during registration (and onwards) if I were to register AppleCare bought from HK, in the UK?

I bought the MBP in HK...if that makes any difference

Thanks

macfan74318

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
I'm not sure but I think that you dont get phone support but you get hardware if you buy it from a different country but because the computer was purchased in HK it might be okay. I would recommend that you call AppleCare and ask (1800-APL-CARE)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Right so i'm currently in the uk where AppleCare costs £279, I have a friend in Hong Kong where AppleCare works out to be about £225. Would there be a problem during registration (and onwards) if I were to register AppleCare bought from HK, in the UK?

I bought the MBP in HK...if that makes any difference

The answer is: I don't know. And if you do it, you will find out when you have a problem. Which is not the right time to find out. Let's say your Mac requires a £500 repair. And Apple tells you your Hong Kong Apple Care doesn't cover it unless you take your Mac to Hong Kong. What are you going to do then?

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Apple recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers in the country or region in which the plan is offered. Purchasing outside of your country of residence may limit what features and services Apple are able to provide you.

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
Country of purchase is the important part

While AppleCare offers worldwide coverage, it is indeed tailored to specific countries laws as well. As such, AppleCare must be purchased in the same country as the computer was sold in order to tie the two together (last time I checked). You'll get the same coverage no matter where you are, but since you bought the computer in Hong Kong, buying HK AppleCare shouldn't be a problem.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
It's definitely no problem.

I bought AppleCare from B&H in NY (cheapest place I've found globally), had it delivered to my family in the States, and registered it in Hong Kong against my HK bought computers.

I've already used it for AppleCare, and they were perfectly happy to service my gear.

Buy it wherever is cheapest.

(The MacBook Pro coverage you're getting in the UK for 279 GBP, is only 156 GBP at B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582543-REG/Apple_MC247LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_15.html)

r17z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
thanks for the replies.

I've bought it through the uk education store for £195 now. I'm not a student so I was going to ask my brother to help my buy it, but as I was clicking through the pages it didn't ask for any Id, reference number or uni proof so I ended up buying it myself. £80 saving ain't bad, right

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.