Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3v0

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
2-parter
I was on the internet and one of the windows I had randomly switched to what looked like a windows start up menu or something similar. It had this bar showing some kinda of download going into a folder telling me I had a virus. I figured it was just a windows virus or what ever so I excited out of it. Does n e one know what I'm talking about? This isnt an issue is it?

and from being on this site, everyone says not to run any anti virus. So now im curious, how can you protect your mac or know if something is wrong with it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. That was a pop up advertisement, tricking ignorant users into downloading some ***** software. The first clue: it looked like Windows, while you use Mac OS X.

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.