Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ok, so i try to put in the cd for close combat for a quick game befoere i go to sleep and i push it in halfway, and all of a sudden it just won't go in any farther, i'm not stupid so i didn't try and force it, i rebooted, holding down the mouse to force eject any disk that might have been in there but nothing came oout. i tried again. its as if there is something in there that is blocking it, but its not like i can see inside it.....any thoughts? lol this is a little bit far fetch'd

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Another thought: Try the Eject menu. You find it at /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/Eject.menu (and you can just cmd-drag it of the menu when you're done with it).

(You have tried all the usual wonder drugs, repairing permissions etc., right...?)

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ok, yea i forgot to mention that i know i didn't have a cd in there, there is nothing showing up in disk utility, and i've done like everything. this is really weird because i can put a cd in normally about halfway before i feel it hit somethign.....this shouldn't be hapopening, i have done nothing wrong.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Oooh... that doesn't sound too good. I think maybe you should take dotx3's advice and see if an Apple Service Center might have an idea... Are you still under warranty (or do you have Apple Care, perhaps)...?

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Oooh... that doesn't sound too good. I think maybe you should take dotx3's advice and see if an Apple Service Center might have an idea... Are you still under warranty (or do you have Apple Care, perhaps)...?

Good advice. To the OP- take it in. Don't risk voiding your warranty; you've pretty much done what you can do now. We had this exact thing come in to work a while ago, it turned out the drive had died. These things happen.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I have a 12" PB that use to bend all the time and the CDs get stuck in there. I just bend the PB again so it can come out. That is just my experience.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
how could this have anything to do with the hard drive!? i can't put a CD in, theres likke something blocking it, but i didn't put anythign in it....this is by far the most puzzling mac related probblem i've ever had to deal with and it vetter have a simple answer, i'm gonna take it in on monday, but i can't go to apple store, i'll go to this mac repair place i know of....i dunno if its still under warranty, but i know i don't have applecare, i dun even know wat it is

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I had the exact same problem a few months ago with my iBook. I called Apple and they replaced the drive for me. Good luck.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
drive = CD/DVD drive, not hard drive

biohazard_6969 said:
how could this have anything to do with the hard drive!? i can't put a CD in, theres likke something blocking it, but i didn't put anythign in it....this is by far the most puzzling mac related probblem i've ever had to deal with and it vetter have a simple answer, i'm gonna take it in on monday, but i can't go to apple store, i'll go to this mac repair place i know of....i dunno if its still under warranty, but i know i don't have applecare, i dun even know wat it is
I don't see that anyone said anything about the hard drive. Everyone, even jestershinra, is referring to the CD/DVD drive. Your "CD/DVD" drive might have died, not your "hard" drive (in this case). Meaning that it no longer works, so that is why you cannot put a CD into the drive. And by drive, I mean the CD/DVD drive.

BTW, you have all that Apple gear that is in your signature and you don't know what Apple Care is? That doesn't seem right. Something seems fishy.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
sacear said:
I don't see that anyone said anything about the hard drive. Everyone, even jestershinra, is referring to the CD/DVD drive. Your "CD/DVD" drive might have died, not your "hard" drive (in this case). Meaning that it no longer works, so that is why you cannot put a CD into the drive. And by drive, I mean the CD/DVD drive.

BTW, you have all that Apple gear that is in your signature and you don't know what Apple Care is? That doesn't seem right. Something seems fishy.

ok, first of all, sorry about the hd/cd-dvd drive thing, guess i didnt' read it carefully enough. and all that 'apple gear' has been bought for me. between 2 houses and a cottage a have quite a few computers and i never needed to worry about payment of repairs or upkeep

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
biohazard_6969 said:
ok, first of all, sorry about the hd/cd-dvd drive thing, guess i didnt' read it carefully enough. and all that 'apple gear' has been bought for me. between 2 houses and a cottage a have quite a few computers and i never needed to worry about payment of repairs or upkeep
Must be nice.

UTB_Avid

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
Grand Rapids
biohazard_6969 said:

I wish someone would give me five macs for free. :D

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Hm.

What you're describing sounds exactly like what happens when you try to put a disk in while the machine's asleep...

That leads me to believe your drive firmware is messed up, and not recognizing your computer as being awake/on/whatever. Try finding some other firmware on the web and downloading and applying that (if you're willing to take risks), and maybe that will solve your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.