PDA

View Full Version : a quick lightsaber BATTLE i made

JeDiBoYTJ
Jun 4, 2005, 12:33 AM
welp, here it is... a quick lightsaber duel that I made. I just simply grabbed my mom and brother, gave my mom the Sony PD-150, and told her to point it at us, hehe.

This particallar 15 second clip took me over 3 HOURS to complete! :eek: The sound effects only took like, a minute to piece together

I did the lightsaber retroscoping in Adobe After Effects. then exported QuickTime DV file to import into FCP for final sound mixing, and then running through compressor for optimal web compression ;)

well, enjoy the video, hope you like

(god I love this computer)

http://www.va-films.com/lightsaberduel-test2.mov

(BTW, thats me in the cheesy darth vader costume, lol) :p

killuminati
Jun 4, 2005, 12:48 AM
I also recently did two clips like that. Your sound is very well done though. Where did you get it?

Espnetboy3
Jun 4, 2005, 01:27 AM
Looks pretty cool. Im doing a major star wars short this summer. Practicing some basic rotoscoping right now , when its done i will upload it. How can I upload a video, its not like posting a picture through macrumors right?

yoda13
Jun 4, 2005, 02:19 AM
that was pretty cool, of course I love just about anything star wars :D

andiwm2003
Jun 4, 2005, 05:42 AM
cool clip.

could it be that the force is stronger in your brother and that Vader lost?

damn, i always was on the side of the sith.....

but it looks really good. keep on working an provide us with more footage!

Jaffa Cake
Jun 4, 2005, 05:59 AM
Vader in white socks? Does his evil know no bounds?! ;)

Nice work keep it up!

redeye be
Jun 4, 2005, 10:41 AM
Nice!
Next time you should think of/make a really cool choreography. ;)

How can I upload a video, its not like posting a picture through macrumors right?
You will have to upload it to whatever serverspace you can get (not MacRumors) and post a link in your thread.

Good luck, both!
:D

rosalindavenue
Jun 4, 2005, 11:00 AM
Excellent work. I have a bunch of quicktime video of my kids fighting with lightsabres-- maybe its time to get FCP :p

JeDiBoYTJ
Jun 4, 2005, 11:06 AM
I also recently did two clips like that. Your sound is very well done though. Where did you get it?

Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Acamemy for Mac. the sound files were located in the first pk3 file, so I extracted that using StuffIt, then located the saber sounds folder. then simply pieced them together in FCP :)

cool clip.

could it be that the force is stronger in your brother and that Vader lost?

damn, i always was on the side of the sith.....

but it looks really good. keep on working an provide us with more footage!

I couldn't see very well in that helmet, so he was able to quickly hit me, lol.

Nice!
Next time you should think of/make a really cool choreography.

yeah, this was just random, completely unchoreographed. when I film the actual short, its going to have good choreography (hopefully, lol)

virus1
Jun 4, 2005, 12:11 PM
i am not framiliar with ae, but in shake at least, you can put trackers on each end of each saber, and you can connect up the rotoscopes to them. that should cut your work time in half. good luck on your short.

JeDiBoYTJ
Jun 4, 2005, 12:24 PM
i am not framiliar with ae, but in shake at least, you can put trackers on each end of each saber, and you can connect up the rotoscopes to them. that should cut your work time in half. good luck on your short.

hmm... I have a friend who has Shake, i might just give it a try...thx for the tip!

Espnetboy3
Jun 4, 2005, 06:26 PM
Shake is also about 3500 bucks lol, you better be able to do something like that.

JesseJames
Jun 4, 2005, 06:39 PM
Very nice work. But for God sake, you guys need to seriously work on your swordsmanship skills.
Looked like two old men clashing their walking canes together.
;) :D

Just giving you a critique. Great job with the sound.
Check out what these guys did:
www.crewoftwo.com

biohazard6969
Jun 4, 2005, 07:03 PM
Very nice work. But for God sake, you guys need to seriously work on your swordsmanship skills.
Looked like two old men clashing their walking canes together.
;) :D

Just giving you a critique. Great job with the sound.
Check out what these guys did:
www.crewoftwo.com

wow that is really amazing!!!! that must have taken like YEARS!!! who has that kind of spare time, and if they do, i envy them ;)

andypress
Jun 4, 2005, 09:52 PM
Speaking of star wars, I'll have to post the fight scene from my AP american history video.

Here it is. Right click and save as on starwarsfight.mp4. For some reason OS 9's weberver is tempermental with some files. http://andy2.117online.com:8081/PNF:byName:/starwars/

gangst
Jun 5, 2005, 11:12 AM
Really well done. How did you create the glow effect when the two light sabres collided?

jimsowden
Jun 5, 2005, 12:02 PM
You know what would be cool? If you could turn this (http://homepage.mac.com/jim.sowden/furag.avi) into lighsabers.

gangst
Jun 5, 2005, 12:16 PM
You know what would be cool? If you could turn this (http://homepage.mac.com/jim.sowden/furag.avi) into lighsabers.

how can i play this in safari, is it an avi file??

killuminati
Jun 5, 2005, 12:28 PM
Save the file to your HD then open it up in quicktime (if you have divx, or avi support) or you can use VLC or MPlayer

That was a good video, I really liked the soundtrack. I think that maybe there should have been some fighting sound effects instead of the little clanks that the swords make.

jared_kipe
Jun 5, 2005, 12:51 PM
The truely best fighting on here was from duality, but not all of it. They really show off better when using a single saber. The kids fighting with swords and, worse yet, their hands was not particularly good. Neither of them seemed all that into it, and it was obviously choreographed. Friends of mine fight with shinai all the time back home. The beauty of that is that every battle looks different and very very real because we are actually trying to beat each other up. Like I always have to remind people "aim for the body, not the sword." Whenever people do these types of fight sequences the biggest problem is that they try to attack each other's swords, not the other person.

LastLine
Sep 19, 2005, 04:51 PM
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but what sorts of video can I import into After Effects? I've got a composition ready but can't import an AVI or MOV into it, should it accept these formats (MOV from iMovie particuarly). Any thoughts what I'm doing wrong? Is it because I have the pixel size for the composition wrong, and if so how do I check how many pixels the original video is.