PDA

View Full Version : MDD RAID 0 SETUP

TyleRomeo
Jun 4, 2005, 12:55 AM
alright i've searched the forums but I don't see my question answered anywhere so I hope someone with RAID experience can help me. I just picked up my second 400GB seagate 7200.8 and want to raid them. I know that I will lose all my data on the first 400GB drive. It's already backed up on 90DVDs so I know i can get my data back. here are my questions

1.should i install both drives on the same ata-100 channel or one on the ata-66 and the other on the ata-100 (there's a 3rd 250GB western digital drive inside my tower as well)

2.how good is apple's software RAID 0 compared to hardware RAID? basically is it going to eat up a lot of CPU for the RAID?

3.is there anything I should do also as precussionary actions? maybe zero all data on the original 400GB? i'm not sure. This will be my first experience with RAID.

Tyler

TyleRomeo
Jun 5, 2005, 02:58 AM
hmm, what should the RAID block size be, this RAID is going to be used to housing 15,000+ 40MB AIFF files.

After G
Jun 5, 2005, 03:31 AM
In answer to your questions:

1: Same ATA-100 channel. It is designed for two drives, one master and one slave, so you should be fine with two RAIDed drives.

2: Software RAID shouldn't be too bad with the CPU cycles; at least it wasn't when i made a Firewire 400 RAID set. Then again, mine wasn't on all the time.

3: You don't really need to do much. If you are paranoid about others getting to your data, then you can zero the drive. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

3.5 (?): Larger file block sizes are good for large files. You seem to have many large files. Not sure about specific block sizes though. I guess large is rather arbitrary though.

TyleRomeo
Jun 5, 2005, 07:04 PM
In answer to your questions:

1: Same ATA-100 channel. It is designed for two drives, one master and one slave, so you should be fine with two RAIDed drives.

2: Software RAID shouldn't be too bad with the CPU cycles; at least it wasn't when i made a Firewire 400 RAID set. Then again, mine wasn't on all the time.

3: You don't really need to do much. If you are paranoid about others getting to your data, then you can zero the drive. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

3.5 (?): Larger file block sizes are good for large files. You seem to have many large files. Not sure about specific block sizes though. I guess large is rather arbitrary though.

block size seems to be an option under Tiger. They say the larger the better they are for hardcore video editing. But I'm just setting up the largest AIFF iTunes player, so as long as I won't have lag time from changing tracks I'll be happy as a puppy.