Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hello,

I am adding French closed captions/subtitles to certain films and tv shows but I when they display they have this horrible bar surrounding them which basically cuts out a fair bit of the screen.

So people understand what I am trying to remove, I have posted screenshots from QT and VLC... I would like what VLC does but in QT/iTunes... Apple devices in general.
screenshot20120103at162.png

screenshot20120103at163.png

Is there a way to stop the bar?

Cheers :)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I wanted to do this before, but I think it's not possible. What you can do is to add the subtitles as burned in though... Or jailbreak and use another media player.

NiVanc

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem. Anyone that found a solution?

NiklasK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Sweden
Unfortunately all Apple devices now shows subtitles in this way. All mobie iOS devices as well as ATV2 and quicktime.

I would prefer to have it displayed as on the old ATV or as in your example in VLC....

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

The solution is mentioned above: burn the subtitles into the video, so you do not need to enable closed captions to see them. Of course, this means that you can never not have the subtitles on screen, but I don't think that's a concern of the OP.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I wanted to do this before, but I think it's not possible. What you can do is to add the subtitles as burned in though... Or jailbreak and use another media player.
Burned in :( I guess I'll keep using VLC while on my Mac but the iPad :(
I don't think that's a concern of the OP.
Oh I don't want them burned in, I come from Britain but the French subtitles are to help me understand the French audio I have on the episodes... it helps a lot when you are learning ;)

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Oh I don't want them burned in, I come from Britain but the French subtitles are to help me understand the French audio I have on the episodes... it helps a lot when you are learning ;)

Gotcha. Then VLC's your answer, although it does seem like a lot of bother when it's just a learning tool.

At the end of the day, though, I wish Apple TV and/or HandBrake would handle subtitles better. Before I got to grips with how to extract and remux subtitle tracks from Blu Rays, I used to go and find the text file on the web and attach it to the movie. On my Mac, they'd play like "proper" subtitles, but on the Apple TV they'd have the grey background and look like crap. Same file. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.