Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
For years, Bill Gates and other top executives at Microsoft railed against the economic philosophy of open-source software with Orwellian fervor, denouncing its communal licensing as a "cancer" that stifled technological innovation.

Today, Microsoft claims to "love" the open-source concept, by which software code is made public to encourage improvement and development by outside programmers. Gates himself says Microsoft will gladly disclose its crown jewels--the coveted code behind the Windows operating system--to select customers.

"We can be open source. We love the concept of shared source," said Bill Veghte, vice president of the Windows Server Group. "That's a super-important shift for us in terms of code access."

Read all about it.

irmongoose

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Well, I don't think this will cause any major differences.

From what I've read in other articles, their "shared-source" policy allows major customers to see sections of the source code that might help them understand a particular problem. I don't believe they are allowed to modify it in any way, and they are not allowed to see the entire source code tree.

It may help large customers debug certain problems, but I don't think this will magically transform their corporate image. ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i heard that it could be something ms could be forced to do when they got in trouble with uncle sam

could you see bg open sourcing?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
It's nothing but a shrewd marketing move, there's nothing wrong with keeping some of your code propietary, MS just used that to bully other competitors out of business.
ballmer-eyebrow.gif

We luv open source my ass. :rolleyes:

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Heh......

As I stare into my crystal Ball.........

I see Moto selling it's Semi conductor dept. to a European company. I see that Europeans love Macs and Hate MS. I see G5 coming out in early 2004 as Apple's low end chip under IBM's Power 4 Lite.

I see Steve announcing them to wild cheering and there is a slight pause..... he says: " Oh, and just 1 more thing. Now that we have the baddest ass hardware in the industry we're releasing OS X for x86."

I see Hammer and Itanium having continual delays that allow Apple's new chips to hit market 6 months ahead of either of the x86 64-bit chips.

I see M$ floundering in trying to catch a market that has abandoned them.:D

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: Heh......

Originally posted by mischief
As I stare into my crystal Ball.........

I see Moto selling it's Semi conductor dept. to a European company. I see that Europeans love Macs and Hate MS. I see G5 coming out in early 2004 as Apple's low end chip under IBM's Power 4 Lite.

I see Steve announcing them to wild cheering and there is a slight pause..... he says: " Oh, and just 1 more thing. Now that we have the baddest ass hardware in the industry we're releasing OS X for x86."

I see Hammer and Itanium having continual delays that allow Apple's new chips to hit market 6 months ahead of either of the x86 64-bit chips.

I see M$ floundering in trying to catch a market that has abandoned them.:D

I like your vision of the future... even if it is rather unlikely.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
its not open source, its shared source. the license is highly restrictive and does not promote new software.

the only thing that this initiative is is a brilliant PR move, even tho it can still potentially backfire. If the source code initiative becomes popular and people like it, m$ looks like the good guy. If not, they can just say "I told you so." and close it back up due to people not caring.

For me its just another attempt at saving face when faced with stiff competition and inquisition. Open source is NOT about code. Open source is about the license. Its about promoting new software. Encouraging programmers to get their feet wet and attempt to create great products. This is why M$ has still made no attempt embrace open source in many people's eyes. M$ wants a proprietary world, but the ongoing evolution of computing is dictating the opposite.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
turn coat

MS has pulblicly damed open souce and now they say they "love it" I beleave that you could get the souce code from MS for a long time... but you couldnt do anything with it and you had to sware your life away. and... its very expensive... very very expensive. Who cares if MS lets a few select customers. That has nothing to do with the open souce comunity. I want a MS kernal that i can compile my self. I want to break it fix it and plug all the security wholes... that is open source. I want to download it with out MS knowing my name and SS number.

then again... I just want a Mac... so I dont really care about Windows at all. I just use it at work because thats what was on the lap top they issued me.

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.