Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epoxy2600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
A very popular choice of monitor back in the late 70s for your new Apple II was the Sanyo VM4209/4509 9" security monitor that occupied only half the top of the computer leaving room for Disk II drives on there as well. I love that look. However, those were black and white monitors so you couldn't enjoy the breakthrough color graphics of your new Apple. I've been looking for some time now for a 9" monitor with similar form factor, but have come to realize that the majority of 9" color monitors from the early 80s such as those used in broadcast video applications are VERY deep (like 12" or more). Undoubtedly this has to do with the nature of the color hardware. Anyhow, they don't sit well on top of the computer for that reason.

Does anyone know of a particular model color monitor from that time frame that is compact enough to use for that "old school" look?

An alternative would be compact color TVs from that time period (which would be what many people would've used for color) but then one has to use RF for video which I assume wouldn't be as clean as going directly from the Apple's video out to a monitor's BNC or RCA input.

Anyone?

Howie

PS: Happy New Year to all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.