PDA

View Full Version : Networking a mac...

TrumanApple
Jun 4, 2005, 12:57 PM
I am gonig to buy a mac (imac) in the near future and am trying to convince my family to buy a mac also. There are a few questions that have come up... Can a mac work with my existing linksys router that uses MAC address filtering? How do i find out the MAC address of a Mac? Also will i be able to network my dell A922 printer so i can print off of the mac over the network? If so, how?

Any help would be appreciated...

TrumanApple
Jun 4, 2005, 03:55 PM
anyone?

Duff-Man
Jun 4, 2005, 04:04 PM
Duff-Man says....the Linksys router should not pose any problem. You can get your Mac's MAC address a couple of ways, very simple. In the System Preferences application go the the network section - it is in there....or, from the Apple menu choose "About this Mac" and in the box that comes up click "more info..." which launches System Profiler. There is a network section there which amongst all the other info you will find the MAC address. Can't answer about your Dell printer as I am not damiliar with that specific model but in general if it is networkable it should be able to work without much trouble....oh yeah!

yellow
Jun 4, 2005, 04:55 PM
Also will i be able to network my dell A922 printer so i can print off of the mac over the network? If so, how?

There's no Mac driver for a Dell printer. I assume it's an inkjet. There's no telling if it'll work until you plug it in. Are these printer rebrands of other models? If so, you're in luck. You can simply use the Mac driver for the original brand (assuming it exists).

TDM21
Jun 4, 2005, 05:47 PM
There's no Mac driver for a Dell printer. I assume it's an inkjet. There's no telling if it'll work until you plug it in. Are these printer rebrands of other models? If so, you're in luck. You can simply use the Mac driver for the original brand (assuming it exists).

They are re-brands of Lexmark printers. the 922 looks like the lexmark x5250 and their specs are very similar. And yes, lexmark makes OS X Drivers for their printers.

yellow
Jun 4, 2005, 05:57 PM
And yes, lexmark makes OS X Drivers for their printers.

They sure do. Which means the proper driver is probably already built-into the OS.

Cabster
Jun 30, 2005, 05:47 PM
I had a similar problem with a Dell 1700n. I solved this problem by using the Lexmark E332n driver that came with Tiger. Make sure you print out the printer information sheet so you can set the memory size correctly, etc. When I put the wrong memory size, it would not print. Once I put in the correct information it works like a champ.