PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook vs Powermac

bursty
Jun 4, 2005, 01:01 PM
What do ya think? should i sell my powerbook (specs listed in sig) and buy a powermac, or stick with the powerbook. I love my PB and wouldnt mind keeping it, but i think its time for something new. I would miss the portability, but would love the new speed and performance

DJC17
Jun 4, 2005, 01:13 PM
What do ya think? should i sell my powerbook (specs listed in sig) and buy a powermac, or stick with the powerbook. I love my PB and wouldnt mind keeping it, but i think its time for something new. I would miss the portability, but would love the new speed and performance

Well, do you really *need* the portability of your current PB? If its yes (say, you use it round school, outdoors etc) then stick with it, or get a new portable ;)

If the answer is no, get a PM!

If the answer is maybe, get an iMac!

bursty
Jun 4, 2005, 01:53 PM
Well, do you really *need* the portability of your current PB? If its yes (say, you use it round school, outdoors etc) then stick with it, or get a new portable ;)

If the answer is no, get a PM!

If the answer is maybe, get an iMac!

i dont really *need* the portibility, i just really like it, but then again, at any given moment, i have 5 or more apps open and am always multitasking with programs like iPhoto, Photoshop, Safari, iTunes, iMovie, etc and the performance of the PM seems like a better choice for me

James Philp
Jun 4, 2005, 01:57 PM
Find out the resale price of your PB and then just save that up.

It's always better to have 2 machines than one.

Wait a little longer and you can have both!

D*I*S_Frontman
Jun 4, 2005, 02:55 PM
Find out the resale price of your PB and then just save that up.

It's always better to have 2 machines than one.

Wait a little longer and you can have both!

I wholeheartedly agree. Having two systems means productive work continues if one goes down. Also, once the gotomymac.com people have their new system perfected, you'll be able to task your home G5 tower for big-iron tasks while you surf and check email @ Starbucks.

PBooks are much slower than G5 towers at almost everything, but, for non-processor intensive tasks, being able to work anywhere productively trumps CPU power EVERY TIME. Oh, and until Apple finally fixes the bug, G4 PBooks write to FW800 drives/RAID arrays FASTER than any G5 tower ever released. Don't ask why--you'll just get a lot of finger-pointing from all parties. Read about it @ Barefeats.com.

So do your heavy computations on the tower and write your Pulitzer-Prize-winning novel on the PBook while sipping a mocha-latte-cappacino--all at the same time.

tekno_geek911
Jun 4, 2005, 03:48 PM
I would just max the RAM and get a fast external HD for your PowerBook.
The PowerMac will be much faster than your current system but you will miss the portability, it sucks being tethered to your desk after having a portable.

Rod Rod
Jun 4, 2005, 04:00 PM
You won't regret getting a dual-processor G5. If you need portability, get an old G3 iBook.

I was about to sell my 12" PowerBook because I find myself doing all my work on my DP G5. However, I'll probably start using the PB for secondary audio recording when I'm shooting video.