Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
After playing with a Mac Mini for a week:

• After the monitor awakes from sleep it sometimes slowly flickers on and off like Morse code.

• After the external hard drive awakes from sleep I get this type of error "the hard drive has not been properly ejected..."

• After the Elgato EyeTV HD I have awakes from sleep the device sometimes completely disappears (I have to disconnect then reconnect it for it to show up again.)

All this because of the sleep function. Seriously? :confused:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
just use this setting. you save less then 75 cents a month if you put it to sleep .

I have done many tests with kill a watt meter. my sleep setting pulls 6 watts an hour or about 150 watts a day. a full sleep setting pulls 1.5 watts an hour so you save 4.5 watts an hour or 108 watts a day. so if my machine is on half sleep and your machine is on full sleep an entire month non stop at a difference of 108 watts a day. that is a 3240 watt savings. or 3.240 kilo watts .

3.240 k watts is about 75 cents a month.

that savings achieved is only if the machines sleep 24hours 7days a week. so for less then 75 cents a month your are driving yourself crazy.

Also more often then not most machine runs 4 or more hours each day. So the 75 cents savings is reduced to less then 60 or even under 30 cents if the machine sees a lot of use.

setting your drives to shut off at every possible chance they get will cost time and money as it wears the drives out from stop and start action. Plus you have to wait for spin up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-04 at 7.34.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-04 at 7.34.25 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
just use this setting

Yeah that's how I have it sent now (no computer sleep, display sleep after an hour or so).

I think I just have to get a handle on the reality that some of the devices just don't play nice with the Mac Mini. The external hard drive I have (MyBook from Western Digital) isn't even compatible, or not officially so (I have to check the model number to confirm).

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Do you have the external drive formatted correctly? There should be no compatibility issues if it's formatted HFS+ Journaled.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Do you have the external drive formatted correctly? There should be no compatibility issues if it's formatted HFS+ Journaled.

No, I need to get it formatted right so Time Machine can use it, in the mean time I told my folks to leave it off until I can check it (this is my parents Mac Mini).

I'm wondering if there may still be compatibility issues. I checked Western Digital and they have drives specifically for the Mac, which might presume this drive may not work properly even in the right format. Unless that's just a marketing gimmick to throw me off.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
There is something else going on. I have a Mac mini with four external drives (two of them Western Digital) and have never experienced any of the problems that you describe.

A.

Are these drives designed for the Mac or the usual external hard drives Western Digital offers?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Are these drives designed for the Mac or the usual external hard drives Western Digital offers?

Any external drive will work with Apple computers as long as they have a USB 2, FireWire or thunderbolt connection. USB 3 drives will work too, but only at USB 2 speeds since its backwards compatible. What problems exactly are you experiencing?

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Any external drive will work with Apple computers as long as they have a USB 2, FireWire or thunderbolt connection. USB 3 drives will work too, but only at USB 2 speeds since its backwards compatible. What problems exactly are you experiencing?

With the hard drive, whenever the Mini goes to sleep and then wakes up I get a "this drive was not ejected properly" error. I think that's because it hasn't been formatted yet for Apple use, which I'm planning to do today after finally convincing my parents that the drive is safe to wipe now after copying everything off of it.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
You shouldn't have any trouble with the drive but:

If it's formatted as NTFS and you're using NTFG-3G (the free version, not Tuxera) to be able to write to it, I've had some problems with the latest version.

Also, if the drive is one of WD's USB 3 drives, there may be a firmware update for it.

EDIT: Seems the new firmware updater (v3.1.0.10 Oct 2011) now supports all USB chipsets in recent drives and updates USB2.0 and USB3 drives. There are firmware updates for other drives too (some of which require at least MacOS 10.5). /edit

Plus, even WD's non-Mac drives come shipped with their own USB driver which they say improves USB transfer speeds over Apple's own USB disk driver. I've never installed it, but it may be a cause.

(Look for WDUSB_64HPDriver.kext, WDUSBHPDriver.kext, WD1394HPDriver.kext, and WD1394_64HPDriver.kext in System/Library/Extensions/)

Lastly, if there is a USB Hub inbetween the Mini and the Hard Drive, try eliminating that.

Not saying any of these is your problem, just the first ones that come to mind with recent WD retail external drives.

Last edited:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm going to assume Time Machine formatting the drive for me will be sufficient, not really trusting of any driver except the official Apple ones either. It's relegated purely for backup purposes now too.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
These are various drives, some advertised for the Mac and some not.

A.

Ok, mine is ANCIENT, an 80GB MyBook drive that's probably at least 4 years old. It's been formatted for Mac now, but I haven't tried putting it to sleep yet to see how it reacts to waking up, still have issues with the monitor that I need to deal with first.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Ok, mine is ANCIENT, an 80GB MyBook drive that's probably at least 4 years old. It's been formatted for Mac now, but I haven't tried putting it to sleep yet to see how it reacts to waking up, still have issues with the monitor that I need to deal with first.

What's the model number?

WD800C032, WDG1U800 ?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
just use this setting. you save less then 75 cents a month if you put it to sleep .

I have done many tests with kill a watt meter. my sleep setting pulls 6 watts an hour or about 150 watts a day. a full sleep setting pulls 1.5 watts an hour so you save 4.5 watts an hour or 108 watts a day. so if my machine is on half sleep and your machine is on full sleep an entire month non stop at a difference of 108 watts a day. that is a 3240 watt savings. or 3.240 kilo watts .

3.240 k watts is about 75 cents a month.

that savings achieved is only if the machines sleep 24hours 7days a week. so for less then 75 cents a month your are driving yourself crazy.

Also more often then not most machine runs 4 or more hours each day. So the 75 cents savings is reduced to less then 60 or even under 30 cents if the machine sees a lot of use.

setting your drives to shut off at every possible chance they get will cost time and money as it wears the drives out from stop and start action. Plus you have to wait for spin up.

If you are setting your mac-mini to not sleep then I can't see the point of having "Wake for Network access" turned on.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Disabled "put hard drive to sleep" and "computer to sleep", only issue left is putting the display to sleep, which I'd like to retain if the monitor didn't go off like a strobe light every time the MM wakes it up from sleep. It should just work, grrrrr. In the meantime I've just instructed my parents to shut off the monitor when they're not using it for a while until I can figure this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.