Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevessels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
umm so ive noticed my PB gettin pretty warm these days . sometimes i gotta take it off my lap . so i got one of those menubar temperature things , and right how my proc is at 60 degrees .... is this like really bad ? are there things i could do to reduce this or should i not worry..? :confused:

thanks guys !

-c

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
thevessels said:
umm so ive noticed my PB gettin pretty warm these days . sometimes i gotta take it off my lap . so i got one of those menubar temperature things , and right how my proc is at 60 degrees .... is this like really bad ? are there things i could do to reduce this or should i not worry..? :confused:

thanks guys !

-c

considering your PB is made out of metal and conducts heat, it is going to get hot. if you search the forums, you will find several threads on this topic. there are several products that can help. basically you need to find something that props up your pb a little bit so air can flow underneath the pb so the heat can dissipate.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
60C (140F) is nothing, my PB has gotten up to 155-160F (68-71C) range, and the thing still works great. It only gets that hot on my lap, but when its sitting on my iCurve, it rarely gets too hot.

(w00t, gotta love the unit converter widget)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
If that's celsius, it's not normal .... or are we talking about the processor temperature and not the shell :confused:

thevessels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
yeah it says:
processor bottomside: 60.2
powersupply bottomside: 59.8
battery: 41
disk: 42

and ive been on this thing for a few hours now ... so .. im ok ?

and im guessing the surface the actual comp is on makes the most difference? ( so if i had an ilap or icurve the thing would be somewhat cooler... )

thanks for the help ..

ps. is there a computer temp widget for dashboard yet??

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
UTB_Avid said:
so what you are saying is that powerbooks double as birth control... interesting... :D

heat kills sperm, that why sperm count is higher when you wear boxers.

dpeachey83

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
Launceston, TAS - Australia
I've got a mate who fried his processor running it a maximum capacity with very heavy use on his 1.33gHz powerbook... although I'm not sure of the exact use and the temperature that it was running

I've got Temperature Monitor (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html)
which currently tells me that my CPU is at 44.2C, with Panther 10.3, on a 1.5gHz 17inch Powerbook, with 'Reduced Processor Performance' (Under Energy Saver) - to try and prolong the life of my CPU and prevent excess heat production, thus hopefully increasing my battery life (cause hopefully the fan won't be needed)...

I would assume that anything under ~57C would be best (from some basic research) and I (personnally) would prefer it not to exceed this, as replacing the CPU in a powerbook is an expensive process apparently...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.