Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodenman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Hey Guys

Need a little advice :)

I've been offered a 17'' MacBookPro which i'm thinking about buying, It's a May 2009 model(hardware overview listed below)

Model Name MacBook pro
Model Identifier MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed 2.66 GHZ
Number Of Processors 1
Total Number Of Cores 2
L2 Cache 6 MB
Memory 4 GB
Bus Speed 1.07 GHZ
Boot ROM Version MBP52.008E.B05
SMC Version (System) 1.42.f4
Serial Number(System) W89210757AP
Hardware UUID 057BC99F-8925-537C-B41D-OF34927A3413

The guy wants £750 British Pounds for it,, do your conversions if you're overseas :). It's in fantastic condition and the guy who owns it is a long time Mac user so i know it's been taken care of. It's to replace my old G5 1.8 duel PPC which has been amazing over the last 7/8 years or so that i've owned it, although as many of you may know is now being left behind on the software front, even flash,,,, which is now limiting my web browsing in certain areas as i can't update!

My main use for the MacBook will be music production(just a hobby) so PROCESSING POWER is KEY for me as i will be using soft synths and logic 9 when i buy the upgrade, although i realise there will always be limitations on usage when going down this road but obviously i want things to run as smooth as possible!

So i guess what i need your advise on is:

A. What does the price look like to you, i've looked around and the same model seems to go for around £700 to £1000 british pounds (i can't believe how well these things hold there value!!) I may have answered my own question by looking around but wouldn't mind your thoughts!!

B. I looked on the apple site and noticed the new MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 13" which i believe have the new Ivy Bridge processors!? So will there be a massive performance increase between that and the 17" that's on offer to me?? Or will the 2.66 GHz processor in the 17" make up for the shortfall?? It would cost me an extra £250,,, which is possible,,,, but to be honest could do without!! And i like the idea of the larger screen!!

C. Finally i've just read that the MacBook available to me has a non-replaceable battery!! Is this something i should be concerned about??

Right that's about it, any advise on this MacBook Pro model would be greatly appreciated, if you need any more info then just let me now and i'll see if i can sort it out :)

Kind Regards

Mike :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
A. Mac2Sell, Gazelle or eBay (Việt Nam, Türkiye, Česká republika, Hanguk) might be good price checkers, as you might have already noticed.

B. To see benchmarks for the different Macs: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

C. No.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I feel that is a bit expensive for a core 2 duo. It will be able to run the latest OS - Lion, but it will definitely have some slowness as far as OS goes, as Lion is a bit more processor hungry than its predecessor.

It sounds like you need something a little more powerful than this. If you don't need portability, I would definitely recommend even a low level iMac, as the Quad-core will be blazingly fast in comparison. It will certainly last you a lot longer also.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I feel that is a bit expensive for a core 2 duo. It will be able to run the latest OS - Lion, but it will definitely have some slowness as far as OS goes, as Lion is a bit more processor hungry than its predecessor.

It sounds like you need something a little more powerful than this. If you don't need portability, I would definitely recommend even a low level iMac, as the Quad-core will be blazingly fast in comparison. It will certainly last you a lot longer also.

Things in UK are more expensive.

tyborosco

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Looks good. Go for it.

Yeah, UK prices are a bit more...
One thing to consider- I believe that system has had 3rd party tests conclude that it can actually handle 6Gb of RAM. 4 in slot 1, 2 in slot 2. Just something to consider if you want to get the most out of it.

----------

Sorry, thats for regular MacBooks not macbook Pros. If you're worried about music production, you can double the RAM in that system. It can take 8Gb.

woodenman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
thanks for the advise guys, think im going to try the best of both worlds approach. Figured i'd go for the MacBook Pro initially and see if it's up to the job, if not, seeing as they hold there value i'll sell it on and go for the iMac, that benchmark link was useful, thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.