Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjpad2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I've been looking through this forum for 2 weeks trying to select a case and I'm going crazy.

First I saw my nephew's smart cover and thought it was neat, and discovered the zum back cover that works with it. But I can't find any sellers that aren't in HongKong. Plus both covers together are pretty expensive.

Then I start finding covers that include front and back in one. Some have the tri-fold cover like the smart cover, others have a cover that just folds once and tucks into a tab on the back, or some even have the tongue. The tongue appears unwieldy but maybe it is a more practical solution.

Am I overthinking this and should I just close my eyes and pick one?

My first question- is there a difference in the practical use or the durability of the trifold cover like the smart cover vs. the covers that just fold once?

Secondly are some covers known to be more durable and wear better than others?

The ones I've looked at include:
icarer
mophie workbook folio
khomo folio
Marware Microshell Folio
STM Skinny
yoobao i-Slim Ultra Slim
Chinao Leather
rivet leather folio

Shield

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Canada
I generally find that the tri-fold type covers, like the Apple Smart cover, tend to have only one real viewing angle as a stand and can be more wobbly and top heavy when propped up. The single crease type folio cases generally allow for more viewing angles and tend to be more stable if they're designed properly.

I personally narrowed it down to the Switcheasy Canvas for the iPad 2, and the Speck MagFolio Luxe (top grain leather version). Ultimately I decided to order the Speck MagFolio Luxe....it hasn't arrived yet.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I had a 'perfect case' obsession. I looked at many many websites and read many many reviews. I've had and returned several cases. So many in fact that I can't recall them all. I finally settled on the smart cover and the Zum (purchased through amazon.com) back cover. I love it and have stopped looking for cases.

I decided on the smart cover by making a list of what I wanted. My list included 1) slim form factor 2) light weight 3) attractive 4) easy iPad removal. If a case didn't meet those criteria, I stopped considering it.

Ultimately the case you like the best is the perfect case.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Am I overthinking this and should I just close my eyes and pick one?
Sounds to me like you need to establish your priorities and decide based on that rather than just consider every possible option. The latter approach is always overwhelming.

bjpad2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I told you guys I was going crazy- here is my temporary case. A little bubble wrap, a little tape, some scissors, and much better protection than none at all.

Attachments

• photo304b.jpg
    photo304b.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 86

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
After buying a couple expensive Vaja cases for my iPad 1, I have been loving my Incase Origami. I can use my iPad in both landscape and portrait modes, with my bluetooth keyboard, and sort of on my lap.

Best part is that is was only around $35, not $200+ like my other ones. :eek:

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I recommend the khomo case. I love mine. 20 dollars shipped from amazon and is just like the smart cover plus back case and fits great... I also like that I can just us the front smart cover if I want or take it off and just have the back case.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I recommend the khomo case. I love mine. 20 dollars shipped from amazon and is just like the smart cover plus back case and fits great... I also like that I can just us the front smart cover if I want or take it off and just have the back case.

Agreed ...killer case...also smartcover+zum - I over-thought it for a while and bought a ton of cases - these are the best I have now...

lilatheflirt

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
I've never liked the Smart Cover Apple came out with. So I chose Switcheasy Canvas, I just wish you could prop it up portrait style like my previous Targus 360 something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.