PDA

View Full Version : overclocking powerbook 12" 1.33 ghz

biohazard6969
Jun 4, 2005, 10:56 PM
hey, j/w how i should go about overclocking PB 12", any good sites to get me started? any tips or anything?

thecow
Jun 5, 2005, 12:29 AM
From what I've seen about mac overclocking, you'd have to solder your motherboard to do anything. It would be very hard to do. 1.33 GHz should be enough for most things. Also, it would probably run hotter and in a laptop that isn't good. You might fry it.

bpd115
Jun 5, 2005, 01:35 PM
You go to ebay, sell it and buy a 12" 1.5.

brap
Jun 5, 2005, 01:47 PM
Doesn't it get hot enough already?

MacHarne
Jun 5, 2005, 03:28 PM
If you overclocked a 12" PB you would then literally be able to fry an egg on it. Overclocking isn't terribly difficult, but the design of the 12" PB has been chosen to have ample air flow for your current processor. If you should overclock a notebook design like the 12" PB, you're running the risk of heat doing damage to other internal components that were not designed to withstand the extra hit from this mod.

You go to ebay, sell it and buy a 12" 1.5.

Now, this is how to overclock a PB.

mymemory
Jun 5, 2005, 04:48 PM
Oh please, you are over exagerating the heat things, get realistic. The desing between a 1Ghz 12" Powerbook is not any differenet from any 1.5.

It gets in my nereves when people just metion things without common sense.

About the overclocking itself... I haven't even heard about it and the times I have do it on G3 computers I have seen no changes at all in the performance. If I had a dual G5 2.0 and it was only 20% faster than my 1Ghz Powerbook (except for the video ram), I some overclocking will not do a thing in a computer.

aussie_geek
Jun 5, 2005, 06:39 PM
You can always do it this way... :D

aussie_geek

zach
Jun 5, 2005, 07:13 PM
I second all the earlier posts.

However, you can, quite safely, overclock the graphics card.

Google ATIcellerator, tis' a fabulous app. Real time overclocking, no flashing required, and you probably can do at least 33% over on proc, and at least 25% on memory.. I'm currently on 33% over proc and 30% memory, but I can go twice that fast on the proc, I just don't want my battery to be killed.

.Andy
Jun 5, 2005, 09:42 PM
You can always do it this way... :D

aussie_geek

That's underclocking a powerbook Aussie geek!
Shouldn't the powerbook be over the clock?

(Groan at the joke ;) :D)

solvs
Jun 5, 2005, 11:23 PM
Dido
What does she (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?artistId=20646) have to do with it?

Anyway, don't bother overclocking your PB. An eMac maybe, but not a laptop.

iBunny
Jun 5, 2005, 11:29 PM
Mac people seem to always think their products are perfect. Always. Its funny to see really.

I looked into OCing too. But its not as easy as just going into the BIOS and raising the FSB or multiplier. YOu have to sodder stuff and all that. Just not worth it in Mac's.

Whigga Spitta
Jun 5, 2005, 11:48 PM
maybe it's not that we mac people think that "our" products are perfect, but that we are rational enough to find them adequate for our needs. in a way, mac "people" (though i hate the label) are a bit different than people who use PC's. in my findings, they are generally more creative, more interesting, and in some ways, smarter.

so...taking this information into a topic such as messing with hardware that suits our needs and potentially ruining a warranty etc., maybe by not trying to OC a processor that does what it's supposed to do, we are acting like we should.

pardon the cliche, but why fix what's not broken?

iBunny
Jun 6, 2005, 01:10 AM
Why we PC enthusisasts overclock is for 2 reasons.

1) Squeeze the most performance out of our computers componants at less cost of buying the extremly more expensive part.

2) Get the fastest there is. I bet if you strapped a Vapochill to a G5 you could hit 3.2 or 3.3Ghz :) It would be faster than just leaving it at stock speeds.

Why not get the most out of your money? who says just because they ship 2.0Ghz G5s the chip can most likely do more in tearms of speed. It could probably reach 2.5Ghz with the cooling it has.... thats alot better than spending the extra 300$ or whatever it is.

Thats why we overclock.

motulist
Jun 6, 2005, 01:35 AM
Here's some actual topical information.

Speed tips for Mac portables:

1) go to the energy saver control panel and select "optimize energy settings: highest performance"

2) overclock your graphics card with this software...
http://thomas.perrier.name/software/ATIcceleratorII.html

3) run regular maintenance including verifying disk, repairing permissions, and some people say run cron scripts too (search the forums for more info on that)

4) always keep at least 2 gigs free on your startup disk.

5) .... add your tip to the list here .....

bpd115
Jun 6, 2005, 01:37 AM
I have nothing against OverClocking (and ATIaccelerator is wonderful, unfortunately the 12" PowerBooks use Nvida GPUs)

Hell, my P4 is overclocked from 2.4 to 3.0 Ghz.

But you need to look at the risk/reward of the whole picture.

Overclocking my P4 was a no brainer. Done via BIOS and if the chip fries, well, you replace a ~180.00 part. Gain of 600 Mhz.

Overclocking a cramped 12" PowerBook (I just installed a 100 Gig HD in mine, they are cramped) with the chip most likely soldered into the Logic Board via soldering Jumpers/Resisters that are smaller than half a grain of Rice to go from 1.33 to 1.5 or 1.67 (If you're lucky)? No thanks. Oh and if you screw up, pbparts.com logic board replacements are 800.00.

Risk/Reward my friend.....

If you can pull it off and it works well, more power too you. But I doubt it.

motulist
Jun 6, 2005, 01:48 AM
ATIaccelerator is wonderful, unfortunately the 12" PowerBooks use Nvida GPUs)

Bummer for 12" pb owners, but many Nvida gpu's can overclock via

http://thomas.perrier.name/software/Graphiccelerator.html

though it looks much more cumbersome and I've never used it myself. On my 15" I throttle the gpu way up when I need the juice and I throttle it way down when I need the extra battery life.