Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
The only reason I suspect such a thing is due to my father’s purchase of a new 15" G4 Powerbook (He purchased one the day after I bought my 12", because he liked it so much). When I compare the screens on the 12" and the 15", they both look of the same quality once you adjust the 12" to the perfect angle.

The 15" is relatively easy to see, no matter what angle the screen is at (even looking straight down on it, from above). But, on the other hand, the 12"'s screen has to be positioned at the perfect angle or its very difficult to see what is on the display.

Does anyone know why this would be? Are they indeed two different screens (with the except of size, of course)? Whats the deal on this?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
The 12 inch ibook and the 12 inch powerbook use the same screens. The 15 inch powerbook uses the same screen quality wize, only difference being it is 15 inches and widescreen. So yea, the quality and resolution will be exactly the same.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Erendiox said:
The 12 inch ibook and the 12 inch powerbook use the same screens. The 15 inch powerbook uses the same screen quality wize, only difference being it is 15 inches and widescreen. So yea, the quality and resolution will be exactly the same.

You sure the 15" is using the same model screen? I could almost swear the 15" is a higher quality screen. Why would the angels be off with the 12" and not the 15" as I noted above?

Also, I'm dissapointed to hear the iBook uses the same screen. The iBook is suppose to be a lower quality machine than the Powerbook, ISN'T IT? Honestly, what is the point of buying a 12" Powerbook over a 12" iBook anymore? I sure as hell don't feel like dropping $500 just for an aluminum color over white.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
UTB_Avid said:
I set my sisters 12" PB next to my 15" PB, the difference between those is even pretty significant. The 15" being about twice as bright, maybe more.

^From a different thread^

??????

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Apple!Freak said:
You sure the 15" is using the same model screen? I could almost swear the 15" is a higher quality screen. Why would the angels be off with the 12" and not the 15" as I noted above?

Also, I'm dissapointed to hear the iBook uses the same screen. The iBook is suppose to be a lower quality machine than the Powerbook, ISN'T IT? Honestly, what is the point of buying a 12" Powerbook over a 12" iBook anymore? I sure as hell don't feel like dropping $500 just for an aluminum color over white.

I cant see how the angles could be different like that, but I cant say i've had a 12inch and a 15inch side by side to compare either. Anyway, im quite sure that the 15 inch has the same screen quality than the 12 inch. They both have the same ppi (100 pixels per inch). Who knows, mebe the backlighting is brighter on the 15 inch.

and the 500$ gets you a bit more than the aluminum case ;). But it is true. The ibooks have a much better value now that the powerbooks are lagging so far behind in speed. The P-Books really need something kickass to bump them back up to the "professional" level.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Erendiox said:
I cant see how the angles could be different like that, but I cant say i've had a 12inch and a 15inch side by side to compare either. Anyway, im quite sure that the 15 inch has the same screen quality than the 12 inch. They both have the same ppi (100 pixels per inch). Who knows, mebe the backlighting is brighter on the 15 inch.

and the 500$ gets you a bit more than the aluminum case ;). But it is true. The ibooks have a much better value now that the powerbooks are lagging so far behind in speed. The P-Books really need something kickass to bump them back up to the "professional" level.

That's got to be it! If the 15" screen is twice as bright, that is what would be causing it to be seen at all angles (hey, I actually learned something from that :)).

Hopefully if the Powerbooks do get an update tomorrow, the return process of the one I currently have will be painless. :p

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I've had multiple revs of the 12" PowerBook sitting next to my 15" PB and I can say that the 15" LCD appears to be much brighter, crisper, and "better." But that's not to say that the 12" PowerBook's is bad.

All PowerBooks have equally ancient LCD technology compared to other non-Apple laptops on the market. ;)

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
tfaz1 said:
All PowerBooks have equally ancient LCD technology compared to other non-Apple laptops on the market. ;)

Apple is starting to piss me off. Why don't they update their damn sheit? Apple has to title to a superior machine but lacks on updates. Lets go Apple, pick up the damn pace! Hut too, Hut too, Hut too, lets go, lets go, lets go!

*lights a flame under Jobs a$$.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Apple!Freak said:

This is clearly not true. A 12" iBook vs a 12" Powerbook are not the same except for colours. BTO, a 12" iBook to meet the 12" Powerbook in RAM, HD and Bluetooth creates a difference of US$300. Then there's 300MHz difference, better harddrive, better graphics card and all the other "Ooo, look at me, I have a Powerbook!" perks including a better keyboard (debatable) and aluminium exterior.

This talk that the two are almost the same in specs just makes no sense. It's been going on in other threads too as to why there shouldn't be an iBook update. What would make less sense would be if a BTO iBook to match Powerbook specs costed more than a Powerbook.

Or is this just a class thing? That if someone has a Powerbook then they are more important and special than an iBook user? They are just computers! People should just get the ones that suit their needs and not worry about how much like an iBook or Powerbook it is.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
same ppi?

Erendiox said:

are you sure about their being the same ppi? my calculations once seemed to indicate that the ppi on the 12" was in fact about 10% better. the 15" pixels were a bit oblong compared to the 12".

that said the visual quality of the 15" seems better. better lighting? better screen overall? better graphics card?
:)

Enda Crowley

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2005
off topic heree (sorry)

ok if the powerbooks get an update do you think i can return mine? :confused: its about 2/3 weeks old and i bought it in an apple store any ideas?

UTB_Avid

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
Grand Rapids
panda said:
are you sure about their being the same ppi? my calculations once seemed to indicate that the ppi on the 12" was in fact about 10% better. the 15" pixels were a bit oblong compared to the 12".

that said the visual quality of the 15" seems better. better lighting? better screen overall? better graphics card?
:)

I agree with better lighting on the 15", but side by side the 12" has a sharper display. I still wouldn't trade my 15" for my sisters 12" and definitely not an ibook, (I can't stand the keyboard after my PB, and the machine just seems bit bulky to me now, 12" PB is more compact not to mention better specs) The 1.67 is faster if only slightly and the large display makes it so much easier to work with. Plus the backlighting on the keyboard.. so sweet! I also think that the display is a bit sharper on the 12" PB than the 12" ibook. I set my roomies next to the aforementioned books and it seemed a little less crisp. Maybe just cause it is older though. I don't have any specs to back this up, but when I am looking at them... that is how it appears.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i don't see why it couldn't. apple doesn't advertise its screen quality excellence over ibooks. they have no reason to vary the screens on either model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.