Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rich5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I know this has probably been covered but it was difficult to find in a search.

Im looking at getting my 1st iMac soon (most likley a refreshed unit)

Its going to be a 27" Im trying to decide on whether or not to get the i5 or the i7.

I will be getting Logic Pro from the App store as im getting the computer for Recording, and probably some light video and photo work as well. I already have a 16gb memory kit on the way for it as well before i even have the computer lol.

So would the i5 be enough to cover that with the 16gb of memory.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Any Mac model, even the Mac mini, can do what you need, most likely with only 8GB of RAM needed.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

Rich5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Any Mac model, even the Mac mini, can do what you need, most likely with only 8GB of RAM needed.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

Thanks for the header tip, And the 16gb was so cheap i decided what the hell

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Any can do it. The i7 can do more of it. Depends on your demands. 100+ track projects will be better suited to i7. Logic sees and uses all processors so the more you have the more you can do. 8GB may not be enough memory if you are plugin heavy. But if you don't know get the 8 in an allotment so you can just add 8 more if you are running into issues.

Rich5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I dont think id be hitting quite that many tracks. But it is an interesting point on the core usage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.